Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan_o View Post
    I have an 02 Jonda Jazz with the CVT. We bought it with 20,000km on the clock and we are now about to get the 150k km service. The shudder has been there for a while and new oil and start clutch adjustment seems to help but the problem always returns.

My question is, what is the long term future for the car? The wife loves it but I have finally convinced her it needs to go before it blows up on us. To get the transmission re-built would cost about $3-4k apparently. I would rather spend that money changing to a more reliable car with a standard auto transmission.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Nathan
    First I'd ask myself what an 02 with 150K on it is worth ? $7000 to $8000 or so. Then ask what you want to spend on a different car, and can you guarantee that car will be trouble free ? If, and I highlight if, you need gearbox repairs to the Jazz, it will probably give you another 150K km's plus, no problems.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz
    I bought my Jazz in 2003 (brand new) and a few days ago I contacted my local dealer (Great Western Honda) to enquire how much it would cost to replace the CVT oil as it has recently started shuddering again. The guy informed me that Honda have extended their gearbox warranty to 7yrs and I just got in (bought the car in March '03). So the CVT oil change would be free of charge. I was stoked!

This morning I went to drop the car off and the guy there informed me that what they would do is flush the system, then test it. If the problem isn't fully fixed or if they think the gearbox needs replacing, they'll replace it, free of charge. He said that it would normally cost $6000. I left my car with them and went off to work.

Went back to the dealer at 5pm to pick up my car and they informed me that my car now had a brand spankin new CVT gearbox!!! I'm thrilled. They advised me to change the CVT oil more frequently, approx 40k. I'm probably going to change it every 30k. My car has so far done over 120k, and apart from this problem (which originally started at around 70k, but went away after changing the CVT oil, and has re-started again recently), it's a dream to drive. Of course I do take care of it, take it to dealer for regular servicing, only use V-power fuel, warm up engine before driving in the morning etc. With the gearbox, it's like a fresh start now, so as long as I service it well, it should last quite a while.

So my advice is, if your CVT is shuddering, and its been less than 7yrs since you bought it, contact your dealer. Because I bought my car brand new from this dealer, he knows my vehicle history and was able to see that a flush hadn't been carried out earlier, so asked me to come in. Also, all my dealing with them have been really good, and very good quality of service. I'm sure most of the Honda dealers are the same, but I'm very impressed with these guys today.
    Check out this website for loads of second hand textbooks (free to join and no commission).

www.textbookexchange.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz GD
    Quote Originally Posted by markcurtis View Post

It's also important that you get the regular services done on time & preferably by a Honda dealer. It's not supposed to be important who does the servicing but Honda are easier to deal with if you do it by the book through their dealer network.
    Yeah, typically like ALL dealers, they do this because they are then getting your hard earned and it's usually 45-70% more than a qualified mechanic. Then you have to go to them for the replacement anyway as IMO these transmissions are crap.
    We decided on a Jazz '03 for our daughter in law and hers has only 41,000km and has had this problem since she bought it. Never thought originally that a Honda would have such a known problem that Honda practically ignore until the warranty runs out. I'd never buy another Honda trick gearbox. Nissan, Renault, Ford, Chev & even Audi all use CVT's and there isn't alot of data about this problem in any of those. CVT's & don't have the problems. Some of them are running V6 and TDi engines with heaps more power/torque than the Jazz's measly 8hp 1.3l engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    im suprised that Honda are atleast doing something about the CVT problems, they did shit all with the 6th Gen Accords auto boxes......
    OEM parts whore

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by cazz'shonda View Post
    Yeah, typically like ALL dealers, they do this because they are then getting your hard earned and it's usually 45-70% more than a qualified mechanic. Then you have to go to them for the replacement anyway as IMO these transmissions are crap.
    We decided on a Jazz '03 for our daughter in law and hers has only 41,000km and has had this problem since she bought it. Never thought originally that a Honda would have such a known problem that Honda practically ignore until the warranty runs out. I'd never buy another Honda trick gearbox. Nissan, Renault, Ford, Chev & even Audi all use CVT's and there isn't alot of data about this problem in any of those. CVT's & don't have the problems. Some of them are running V6 and TDi engines with heaps more power/torque than the Jazz's measly 8hp 1.3l engine.
    I cannot comment on Renault Ford and Audi but I have done some research on Nissan. Nissan's CVT (especially on the Primera model) from late 90 to mid 2000 has pretty high failure rates. The thing about CVT is they have very little tolerance for irregular transmission oil change and the use of incorrect transmission oil.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003gli jazz
    Honda replace trans under warranty up to 160k. get in there quick!!!

I have a Jazz '06 CVT 1.5 litre that has just come up on 150,000kms. No trouble with CVT so far. Looking at the cost of changing to a new car (which may not be a Jazz as servicing is expensive) vs keeping this one. I use it for work. What would be the way to go? I might lose $2-4K or more changing to a new car and a new CVT (or repair?) costs about that anyway? How much could I get for my car if I sold it privately? I suspect about $12K looking at market values. It's in excellent condition.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roma View Post
    I have a Jazz '06 CVT 1.5 litre that has just come up on 150,000kms. No trouble with CVT so far. Looking at the cost of changing to a new car (which may not be a Jazz as servicing is expensive) vs keeping this one. I use it for work. What would be the way to go? I might lose $2-4K or more changing to a new car and a new CVT (or repair?) costs about that anyway? How much could I get for my car if I sold it privately? I suspect about $12K looking at market values. It's in excellent condition.

Mines excellent and done 70K km's, and I'd be happy with 12K ( 06 VTI with Honda VTI body kit, cvt ).
    Just to give you a guide.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Ok, got off the phone with Honda Service. As we are buying a Jazz for my wife. 2006 model.

CVT flush = $280, Not covered under warranty, the 7 year rule does not apply and the 160km rule isnt real???
    They admit there is a problem, and they will do the flush first to see if there is a problem (common procedure) but say that it is not a common problem.

Thats weird... must be who you speak to and when hey?

by the way, we havent bought the car yet... Just planning ahead

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    Quote Originally Posted by Dc_II View Post
    They admit there is a problem, and they will do the flush first to see if there is a problem (common procedure) but say that it is not a common problem.

Thats weird... must be who you speak to and when hey?
    hahaha someone is telling lies. It happens with almost all GD Jazz at some stage. Most of the time the fluid flush will fix it up.
    $280 is a bit of a rip off, but you are not their regular service customer and don't even own the vehicle so they probably won't do you any favours unless you complain.
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

$280 is rip off. Since your car is out of warranty, you might want to try doing it yourself, if you have the correct tools as it's pretty easy.
    The fluid itself costs around $100 purchase directly from Honda. Spoon boss actually recommends changing the fluid for every oil change - meaning 10,000kms for each change intervals. How true is that? Not sure.

Honda Warranty Transfer

First time to post the question in there, hopefully someone can help me, lol.

I bought a second-hand 07 Jazz 1.5Vti from Subaru dealer (previous & first owner trade it in) last month which is around 50k kms. Then, the CVT vibration issue comes out now and need to be flush and replace the fluid. The previous & first owner bought the car on Dec 07 and extended the warranty for another 2 years, so the total warranty is 5 yrs or 160,000 km. Thus, my question is, in this case, can I apply the manufactury warrant to Honda dealer without the Warranty Transfer informed? Because the previous owner did not give the Warranty Transfer Form to the dealer, so as mine. Otherwise I have to pay all the fees by myself coz the dealer told me that this issue is not covered under the Statutory Warranty. Pls let me know if the dealer lies to me. Many thanks!!!