Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S

Red face Type S down on performance

Hi Guys,

My DCR5S has been down on performance for couple of months. It is slightly difficult to get of the line with normal driving and obviously even harder to take of on a hill. It feels really dull between 1k-4k during normal driving, when VTEC kicks in it sounds like it's working but overall the car feels choked and doesn't really kick you back into the seat like it used to. The car is dead stock, it has brand new Mobil 1 oil and a new filter and I have checked the air filter and the box and filter are pretty clean but there are a few black oil stains on the filter itself.

What should I do to get the problem fixed? Can you get stock cars tuned ? I had the fuel injectors cleaned at the last service, is there anything else that can be done ?? Could there be a problem with the exhaust system ?

If anyone can recommend a service centre of mechanic and Brisbane that would be really appreciated.

Thanks AP

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    i dont know if this might help, try changing ur sparks and wires. see if that works.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

get a new air filter, try a kn replacement, or just get a CAI, its probably more sluggish cause its getting hotter now, i feel the same, during the day car drives like a slug lol, but if its 24/7 i dunno about that, just try a new air filter
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Member Array
    Car:
    Fn2 type r
    I do feel the same about my car when its summer. its hotter and my car does feel slower. probably because i turn on aircon as well
    Triangular exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    not on my tytpe s.. i have my air con on full blast, n i sitll get power out of it.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    sh1tbox
    your getting use to your car, happens to me as well
    Would you change the life you love, for the love of your life?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Welcome to the addiction. Start modding it.

I used to drive a mint '86 corolla sedan with a 1.6L carby

Then I got my EH9 Civic VTi with the D16Y1 and when I figured out what VTEC was and redlined it I was like "WOW" and almost a little scared <lol>

Then I got over it...

Then I got a EF8 CRX SiR and redlined the B16A and again was like "WOW"

Now I'm considering spending $5000 on internals to make it faster...

simple.. heat soak... turbo cars tend to suffer more than NA cars. CAI might help a little bit during summer. SRI during winter

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by pearso81 View Post
    Hi Guys,

My DCR5S has been down on performance for couple of months. It is slightly difficult to get of the line with normal driving and obviously even harder to take of on a hill. It feels really dull between 1k-4k during normal driving, when VTEC kicks in it sounds like it's working but overall the car feels choked and doesn't really kick you back into the seat like it used to. The car is dead stock, it has brand new Mobil 1 oil and a new filter and I have checked the air filter and the box and filter are pretty clean but there are a few black oil stains on the filter itself.

What should I do to get the problem fixed? Can you get stock cars tuned ? I had the fuel injectors cleaned at the last service, is there anything else that can be done ?? Could there be a problem with the exhaust system ?

If anyone can recommend a service centre of mechanic and Brisbane that would be really appreciated.

Thanks AP
    How many K's on your car now? If you are close to the 100k mark, then it is time to replace your spark plugs. What engine oil are you using? The DC5S takes 10w-30 as standard, so you can go 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40. Make sure you are not using a cheap oil with poor lubricating properties as that creates more friction and power loss.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S

Red face

65,000 kms on the clock but the car is 5 years old, so from what I have heard it could quite possibly be the plugs or leads. The car is running Mobil 1 oil and I only had it changed 2 weeks ago so it is pretty fresh. I am convinced that it is not the change in weather because I have experienced the difference with other cars and I have had this particular car over 3 summers now.

I have tried to notice small things that are different to try and narrow the problems down. The car lately I don't think is making full temperature, usually the needle is dead center between high and low it seems to be sitting at 80% of normal.

Also, the first time I turn it over in the morning and within the first 2 minutes of driving it drive like a dream when the auto choke is on. Also a change I have noticed is usually the choke sets the revs a 2k on start up but lately the revs have been 1600 or 1400.

Anyway thanks for your help everyone, I thought this extra info might help the diagnosis.

Cheers AP

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by pearso81 View Post
    65,000 kms on the clock but the car is 5 years old, so from what I have heard it could quite possibly be the plugs or leads. The car is running Mobil 1 oil and I only had it changed 2 weeks ago so it is pretty fresh. I am convinced that it is not the change in weather because I have experienced the difference with other cars and I have had this particular car over 3 summers now.

I have tried to notice small things that are different to try and narrow the problems down. The car lately I don't think is making full temperature, usually the needle is dead center between high and low it seems to be sitting at 80% of normal.

Also, the first time I turn it over in the morning and within the first 2 minutes of driving it drive like a dream when the auto choke is on. Also a change I have noticed is usually the choke sets the revs a 2k on start up but lately the revs have been 1600 or 1400.

Anyway thanks for your help everyone, I thought this extra info might help the diagnosis.

Cheers AP
    Not the leads because 5 years and 65k is not enough to wear the direct ignition out.

Which Mobil1 are you using? Hopefully not the 5w-50 as that is too thick.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    90 EF8 siR
    what fuel are you using? Have you changed fuels, like going from bp ultimate to a united premium fuel, with a lower octane reading? My ef8 felt a bit sluggish when i once tried v power, it starts to ping, then went back to trustworthy bp ultimate and runs like a dream all year round with motul 8100 5w 30