Member Array
    Car:
    B18 EG hatch

Installing a Harness / Getting a Harness

hey guys.

Im looking to install a harness ( probs just for the driver) . Im a sucka for JDM bling so im looking at a Takata lol
    Im needing all this street legal.
    The back half of the car will be stripped btw.

Anyways.
    Im awair there are two ways to mount them.
    http://www.takataracingproducts.com/guide.html

First. Using the eye bolts that come with the harness, screw them into the normal hole were the seat belts are attached. Do this with the side straps. Also screw the bolts into the hole for the back seats. And thus run urs shoulder straps thought the seat and attack via eye bolt on the back seat..

Secons. Do the same with the side eye bolts. But with the shoulder straps. Wrap/strap/tighten them around a bar located behind the seat. ( assume u have a harness brace/half cage or full roll cage.

Now i plan on getting made a custom half cage for the back of the car. And i think mounting the straps to the bar would be the easyest and safest way.

In reguards to the bars position I am awair certain angles need to be met when arranging the harness properly to make it safe and work properly.( see below)

What else do I need to know...?
    I live in QLD. And I know I will need to get a mod plate for making it a 2 seater. And I will have changed my rego from a 4 seater to the 2.

DO I NEED A MOD PLATE TO COVER THE HARNESS ?
    DO I NEED A MOD PLATE / GET MY CAGE INSPECTED?
    ARE THERE REGULATION ABOUT THE HARNESS ATTACHMENT POINTS?

I also have herd a harness needs to be in date and can expire. Is that only for track use ? And can u get them reinspected and get a new date? How does that work?

Thanks alot !!! ;D
    Last edited by Vtecyo; 23-12-2009 at 12:38 AM.
    -Rep'in-

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm 95% sure using a harness on the street is illegal. simply for the fact, that when strapped in there is no room for movement AT ALL. therefor, makes it hard to do simple things like reach over the dash board, adjusting mirrors, radio etc. a couple of times I have gotten into my car and strapped the harness up and accidentally left my door open. I couldn't even reach far enough to close it haha

For track it is fantastic, but looks a bit silly on the street.

I use a 6 point Willans harness at the track. I had to have a harness bar welded in between the rear shock towers, with eye bolts on it as well as drilling two eyebolts into the floor behind the front seat and two more into the floor in front of the seat.
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic (B16 A2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtecyo View Post
    hey guysMOD PLATE / GET MY CAGE INSPECTED?
    I also have herd a harness needs to be in date and can expire. Is that only for track use ? And can u get them reinspected and get a new date? How does that work?
    Thanks alot !!! ;D
    The Confederation of Australian Motorsport has an approval system in place for harnesses in competition vehicles. They do have an expiry date at which time they are meant to be replaced. Just to complicate things though the belt expiry date for many lower levels of motorsport has recently been extended to 5 years beyond the actual expiry date imprinted on the belt. This was introduced as a cost saving measure for competitors. You certainly cannot have a belt inspected and issued with a new later expiry date. Many of these belts cannot be used on road registered cars other than rally cars. Most have quick release clips so they can be replaced with road legal belts if you wish to drive your competition car on public roads between events.
    I have utilized these full harness belts in competition for many years and they give a real feeling of security because when properly adjusted you can barely move and you feel as if you are bolted to the car which is a great way to "read" what the chassis is doing .I can guarantee though that within a few hours of putting up with them on a road car you will realise it was a very very bad idea. They are a pain to do up and when you do eventually get all the belt bits properly clicked into place your movement is restricted to the point where you will have difficulty changing lanes safely and they will certainly need to be undone before you can reverse park. (If the above points do not convince you then maybe the fact that you will arrive at your destination with crumpled messed up clothes will encourage you to rethink the whole idea??? )
    Steve

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    afaik its illegal, cos there is no room for the belt to have slack. even if u do have a cage u still need to get everything certified, and im not sure if people can certify harnesses.
    Last edited by Riced_Civic; 25-12-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Great advice Steve!

I too was like,COOL! a racing harness!

They are a nightmare on the road,exactly cool for 6 hours (not even)

I used mine on the track and thought it was the sh!t.I tried just with the seatbelt and it worked great!

I know exactly what U mean by being 'bolted to the car' and I want that,I feel my bucket seat (bride vios 3) does that enough to satify me.The harness would increase that feeling but the bucket seat achieves it!

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Civic (B16 A2)
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Great advice Steve!

I know exactly what U mean by being 'bolted to the car' and I want that,I feel my bucket seat (bride vios 3) does that enough to satify me.The harness would increase that feeling but the bucket seat achieves it!
    Yes a seat is a critical part of a competition car package. You need something that holds you in tightly and the less padding you can tolerate the better as you get much better chassis feedback.
    Steve

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Totally,it was one of the first things I bought,with tracking

The first time I used it,I found myself fighting in the corners,and I couldn't just relax in the seat.It took 4 hours out there until I finially was just relaxed in the seat through the corners.So weird at first!

The seat completely holds you there,just awesome!!