Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 2 CRX; DC2R

PROBLEM - DC2R whistling noise - sounds like turbo but isnt

So as some of you may know, recently purchase a dc2r. I drove it back to Melbourne from interstate. On the drive, there was a pronounced whistle coming from the motor at a certain point with acceleration. In fact if i accelerated at the the same rate it would whistle continuously. Then as i went past or below that point in acceleration, it would dissipate and eventually disappear altogether.

So took it for a major service a few days ago. Mechanic isolated it a leak in the pod filter. So we got rid of it, and installed a stock air intake with new oem filter. Now the noise is almost gone, but theres just an ever so slight whistle like before. It sounds like its coming from behind the engine, near the accelerator cable. But its just too hard to be sure. Its hard to hear with the bonnet popped. Its more pronounced when I drive. All the hoses are tight. The intake is fine. Its so irritating.

My mechanic is saying that he can't hear it but thats crap. I definitely can. I think he just doesn't know how to fix it.

Any ideas? Any one can help?
    Last edited by thegame888; 23-12-2009 at 05:19 PM.

its just the pod sucking in air. aftermarket pod filters are usually louder than oem. hence when u changed to oem, its more quieter

its nothing to be worried about

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    All dc2s do it n its no problem dude
    building up slowly...
    ________
    i < 3 JDM

Dude you;re so paranoid.

It's DC2's trademark. (Not sure if its all DC2/4 but the DC2R definately makes it)
    Makes the whistle noise when it sucks in air.

You can get rid of the sound by random intakes (probably ebay)

Anyway; its normal to have the whistle induction sound.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    ek <3
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsx View Post
    its just the pod sucking in air. aftermarket pod filters are usually louder than oem. hence when u changed to oem, its more quieter

its nothing to be worried about
    ^^x2.

ive put a sri with an exposed pod in my d16y4, it makes this whistling noise at 60% acceleration. nothing to be worried about imo.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    My b18c2 has that slight whistle sound, im thinking its from the throttle body.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    lol. dude search another noob had the same problem , been covered

s tune Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 sold :(
    Yeah nothing to worry about, the type of filter material used affects the sound you get, in my experience a foam type filter (eg; Spoon, Trust, HKS) have a louder whistle.

Member Array
    Car:
    Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the whistle is the closest thing to a turbo for a P plater like me.

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 2 CRX; DC2R
    Hmmm, its a stock airbox and filter. I removed the pod just after I purchased it. Stock shouldn't have a short, high pitched whistling noise just after throttle opening from about 2000 rpms should it?

yes it should. mine is stock and it does.

stop worrying and enjoy the drive

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1, 99 DC2
    u've got aftermarket headers on?