Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5
    wow.. thats a very interesting and useful topic for all DC5 owner.. THanks a lot Adrian. frankly, i myself have a ~list~ of things which i HOPE i can have in my car, but i wasnt sure which work shop i can go to have them fit in.
    Is good to see some 1 like u come out and tell us such meaningful info about our modify our cars.
    anyway, my question is.. do u stock most of Mugen and Spoon parts? how much would it cost to install a sets Spoon breaks front and rear?
    thanks heaps

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by R123
    wow.. thats a very interesting and useful topic for all DC5 owner.. THanks a lot Adrian. frankly, i myself have a ~list~ of things which i HOPE i can have in my car, but i wasnt sure which work shop i can go to have them fit in.
    Is good to see some 1 like u come out and tell us such meaningful info about our modify our cars.
    anyway, my question is.. do u stock most of Mugen and Spoon parts? how much would it cost to install a sets Spoon breaks front and rear?
    thanks heaps
    Cheers for the vote of confidence...
    Glad to be of help. Plus, I'd rather see guys spend money wisly than waste it on things that don't really work or offer good performance for dollar spent.

Ok, about the brakes...
    We don't really stock much in the way of SPOON or MUGEN.
    (Resivoir socks etc only)
    Everything else we just bring in as required to order.

Regarding the SPOON brakes,
    The DC5R uses the monocoque caliper as apposed to the cheaper twin block caliper for the DC2.

The pair of calipers aren't cheap & will set you back around $2500 for the pair.
    As these are designed to be used on the JDM DC5R, you may have to use the JDM DC5 rotors & various bits also...
    (Maybe someone can confirm this)
    If you're in the market for SPOON rotors, try some of the other traders on this forum also. (Not sure if any one will have these in stock, but certainly shop around)
    Guys that spring to mind to contact are:
    hondar (JDM Concept), Z10 & EG5 (JDM Yard), SP0017 (Driven Performance) vbmenu_register("postmenu_271164", true);

Regarding fitment,
    We charge how long the job takes, realisticly it'd take most workshops about 2~3hrs all up with no hitches,
    So in our case, you'd be looking at upto $240 in labour.
    (Our labour charge rate is $80 per hour.)
    Some other shops charge less, some are more.
    This labour component plus the cost of whatever brake fluid you wanted to use should give you an idea of what to expect.

FWIW, IMO, you'd be better off with a Wilwood kit as they're cheaper & offer the same if not better braking performance.
    Down side is I really don't think they look as cool as the SPOON calipers...

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/ds413.pdf
    I am biased though as I have these fitted to my car.
    Installation cost is roughly the same, but you get the benifit of having an increased rotor diameter should your wheel size allow it.
    Cheers

Adrian
    Last edited by TODA AU; 04-05-2005 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Changed a sentence around to be easier to read.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Don't mean to take this off topic too much but there is some info on doing the Spoon caliper conversion in this clubRSX thread. There is quite a bit of swapping over required from the JDM DC5R including the JDM LCA and (I think) knuckle.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Cheers Win, I figured there'd be issues of sorts. Just wasn't 100%

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5
    thanks for the info again Adrian... yeah, talking abt the break, i do have my heart set on the spoon's one. i have been collecting info abt the costs and how to bring them here. and ur price (appro) is within wot i would expected.
    so yeah... thats cool i will definitely give u a call when i ready for the breaks. Cheers

p.s hope can read more info abt modif DC5 from u and other guys ...

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Up dated info (only minor changes)

Very useful post.
    I was wondering why use the S2000 cat?
    What size is it and is it the best cat to get for the DC5R?

I mean, won't people be after "high flow" cats?

Sorry I don't know these things

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblecivic
    Very useful post.
    I was wondering why use the S2000 cat?
    What size is it and is it the best cat to get for the DC5R?

I mean, won't people be after "high flow" cats?

Sorry I don't know these things
    The main benifit to the performance enthusiast (who cares little of the health of "Flipper")
    to use the S2000 catalyst, is the unit's low back pressure & high flow.
    As an OEM fitment to a 240hp NA 2L engine,
    it makes sense to use one on a B or K series engine when you want to remain legal without comprimise to power output.
    Capable of more than 240hp of exhaust gas flow,
    the S2000 catalyst also outperforms traditional block type ceramic high flow calatlyctic converters in emmision output.
    This is due to the S2000 cat body being thin-walled stainless with a low-heat radiating metal honeycomb core.
    The spiral metalic core design of this cat converter not only increases the exhaust-gas processing surface area,
    but also promotes a quick rise in temperature that greatly reduces hydrocarbon emissions during engine warm-up.
    As a side note, visually the converter has a more aerodynamic look to it too.
    Hope that helps,
    Cheers

Adrian

Great info, looks like I’ll using the Hondata k100 then its the best combination for bang for your buck power increase, my car is blowing black smoke and I can't wait to get it tuned, who the best person in Melbourne to take the car to, to get it tuned ?

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK4
    I am reading this thread with a lot of interest as I have just got a new job and I am considering a DC5R for my next car. I live in Perth and there are only a few places to get a Honda tuned. I am very interested in the K20A cams and stroker kit as I want to get the car really going without the use of forced induction. Are these items ok to use on the street as I don't take the car to the track very much but I do a bit of drag racing.

lol i'm sure adrian cannot condone the use of mods on any street car.

but if you were to drive on a track, in exactly the same way you were driving on roads, basically simulating this style of driving then i'm sure it would be fine for the road. *wink wink*

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK4
    I like to have quick cars and I love driving VTEC Honda's so I want to get as much out of the K20A as I can without sacrificing reliabilty. I did consider a Top Fuel turbo kit but I think the K20A is such a nice motor in n/a form that it is much better suited to n/a upgrades.