Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diff question

Hybrid View

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9

diff question

Hey guys .. dno if this shuold belong in the noob section.

Now i gota DA9 with it .. a 01 gsi engine. Now the diff on my car seeems to only focus power on one wheel? sometimes left sometiem right lol, i went to a few mechanics they keep telling me u just gota change the diff, i guess it makes sense you know..
    buying a lock diff or something.

Anyway.. my question is, is there a MORE AFFORDABLE way of fixing my problem or doing what i want? like just a small mod to get both wheels to have equal power etc. ??

I know changing the diff will work but i dont plan on diong it unless i can do it for less than $400 lol

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    What you have is an open diff not an lsd diff, they are only meant to apply power to one wheel, normally its the drivers, sometimes the passanger, sometimes both just depending on the condition. I dont see any problems here, on the other hand if you have a lsd installed and only one wheel spins when alot of load is applied thats a different story.

So is it lsd? if its stock its open diff
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    honestly buddy i dont know wen i went to mechanic he goes .. i dont know either -_- he wanted $50 to check lol.

and so welding aye? shit lol .. soundss REALLY BODGY though..

could anyone here .. tell me roughly how much a LSD diff does cost?? one that'd suit my car ofcourse. like off the top of your heads just an estimate.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    cheap and nasty way to do it, but not a safe thing to do is to take it out, and weld it....make it a locker and put it back in.............it will be a bitch to drive and much worse in the wet....

good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    welding is bodgy, i never said it was the right way about getting an lsd, but it is a cheap and nasty way .............

and when the welding breaks or chips fall off the welding, good bye gearbox.

The stock (open) diff is designed to make turning easy, but power goes through to the path of least resistance, e.g. when one wheel is slipping, all power is then transmitted to that wheel.

An LSD however, will "limit" that slip and ensure power is transmitted through to both wheels.

It could be your existing diff could be worn and thats why you fine the drive intermittant. If so, you will need to replace it but now, would be the perfect time to get an LSD.
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    LSD install

LSD - about $450 to $1,500 depending on manufacturer or type of LSD
    Taking out box - about $350
    Pulling box apart and installing LSD about $200
    gbox bearing - about $80
    seals - $20-50 (can't rem now)

GSI is a B18B? not sure if b series boxes line up.
    Easiest way is an ITR Gbox, but they are about $1,500 for a good condition one.
    Otherwise you get a B18c2 VTIR box, & dump in the ITR LSD (about $500).

Or Mfactory make an LSD to suit (nice quality parts). OBX also make a cheaper version, but they are hit & miss at times (bad quality control from what i've seen)

I got my box done recently, great mod if your wanting to put power to the ground better
    Last edited by Limbo; 28-12-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    so let me get this straight i have to change the GEARBOX aswell as the diff?? i thought it was two seperate things.. fuk dat lol gona cost way too much

And yep its B18B

and about the diff sending power to one wheel which evers slipping that would make alot of sense.. as most of the burnouts i do, i do in wet ground .. and whilst im turning if i do one often the car never jst over powers itself, it stays in control.

Basically.. im gona assume the open diff would be a more.. "safe/luxury" part and the lsd is just for raw power? lol.
    Last edited by slimx; 28-12-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by slimx View Post
    so let me get this straight i have to change the GEARBOX aswell as the diff?? i thought it was two seperate things.. fuk dat lol gona cost way too much
    The diff is inside the gearbox. So if you can get an LSD-equipped gearbox for cheaper than opening your existing gearbox and installing one in, go for the LSD gearbox (check that it is in good condition).
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    ohhhh my baddd..
    okay so basically i should shop around for another gearbox..
    one with LSD (limited slip diff).

I can get the gearbox changed no problem, just needa find the part.
    A certain gearbox you guys might recommend? like off what kinda car, etc.. i know DelSol's are LSD

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    delsol is not LSD from my knowledge

The only LSD from a b series is ek9 or dc2r with the hydrolic box.
    limited b16s had LSD and pretty sure they were cable clutch ones from early models and all JDM. Very rare to find these.

Also your gonna have to search if your box is doable with the LSDs from other hondas or if you need a custom LSD like a Kaaz or quaife (big money needed there)

getting LSD is not a cheap mod, don't kid yourself, otherwise everyone on the forums would have one.

If you get a box with LSD still costs $1,500 + labour to remove your box & install about $350 at least = min $1,850.

Its still cheaper to LSD your box, but you should get the gears and syncros checked while there. Again let me stress, its not a cheap mod.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    actually some b16a's had optional lsd, I currently have a hydraulic one sitting in my civic.
    Why hello there