Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ASR Brace Install Help!

Hi All,

Was just at Hannys and they were trying to install an ASR brace and ITR sway bar for me. (for free )

They got it in, however i had some left over parts.
    They said they couldnt put it in.

I didnt think this was right, i showed them the instructions but they said it was perhaps for a different model can you guys confirm?

The parts im referring to are in the bottom right hand corner of this pic.
    It looks like it attaches to the subframe to give more support to the brace.

http://passwordjdm.com/images/Products/1327L.jpg

Thanks,
    Darrell

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Yes i believe they install betwee the subframe and the brace and are quite important
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    K24 FD2
    They go up in behind the subframe, where the LCA's bolt up.

See pics/manual below.

http://www.passwordjdm.com/Install_N...race_DC_EG.pdf

yeah they tried to put them up there

but they couldnt get any screws through because the hole was already threaded or something along those lines

in the guide, you have to drill out the threads... did you guys do this?
    Last edited by stormridah; 29-12-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    I had this dilemma too, there are existing holes that had were threaded so the bolts do go in fine, but it is recommended that those brackets are installed anyway to help spread the load/provide extra support.

Quote Originally Posted by geeang View Post
    I had this dilemma too, there are existing holes that had were threaded so the bolts do go in fine, but it is recommended that those brackets are installed anyway to help spread the load/provide extra support.
    yeh did mine last week, had the same problem, best to put it on

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    i put then in no worries. they have a recessed part that goes over the bolt. easy! they just didn't try!

this is what make asr so much better than everything on the market! take it back! or better yet DIY so you know for certain it was done correct. left over parts.... dodgy!

you just have to drop out the control arm and put it on. put the bolt through so it is held in place then push the control arm back up again and slide the lca bolt through. EASY! pm me for more details if you need
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

I don't know about the eg, but on my EM1, I installed the F7 brace and it also had the same backing plate. I went to slide it up there and there was already an OEM little brace welded in there with two nuts welded on. I looked it up and they said on civic si models (US name) the backing plates arn't needed due to the OEM one already being there. Still felt weird installing without the provided plates, but seems to have worked fine.

I thought about drilling out the threads but the bolts supplied are only just long enough to thread into the exsisting bolts. so therefor drilling out the threads would have made it impossible to install, unless I bought longer bolts. But yeah, that was on an EM1 so I am assuming it is all different. + different brace... hmm maybe the whole post is pointless :/ haha good luck man
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

as mentioned by - DNYALL

try downloading the manual... coz for the US model... the civic Si are not required to install the f7 - backing bit.. coz its already there.. where as the rest you will need to use the bracket.. from what i can remember... it actually sits on the subframe..
    btw wut car u have? if it helps try googling for pics of your car in asr brace... there are tons of pics - makes life easier..for u..

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    im same as dnyall. If em1, don't need the backing plate.

sorry guys, its a dc2 vtir

so no drilling was involved?

you are supposed to drill them yes (according to the ASR install PDF) - i did when i installed onto my car to allow a firm grip. But multiple installs on customers cars since i have simply screwed the bolt thru. It feels to be a similar or same thread to the OEM welded nuts.