Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro

Drag racing legalities

Hey all, just enquiring about what type of legal requirements are needed to run a dedicated drag car down the strip. Putting some thoughts out there as a future project with me and my old boy.

It would be a simple eg/ek civic, B18 all motor swap. Just for a bit of fun.

Things that would be on/removed from the car:

Full stripped interior (seats,dash,door cards and innards, all interior, custom alloy dash with tacho and oil only)
    Removed lights/rear lights
    Only bare loom nessecary
    plexi windows
    no power steering or any other ancillories
    side pipe out of headers
    race cell fuel tank 10L max
    anything that will add weight

Thanks all in advance for your help - im going to talk to my old man about this seriously as we have always wanted to do a project but never had a direction about which way to go.
    Honda Accord Euro

Yonas where are you??? lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Lol, yeah isnt going to be anything to fast but its going to be stripped withing an inch of its life. Only the bare essentials to make it go, stop and turn.
    Honda Accord Euro

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    The rest is ok except for these 2 :
    Removed lights/rear lights : For wed night street meet at WSID you will need to have a headlights at least one of them if im not mistaken.

Side pipe out of headers :Check with your local track but at WSID there is noise limit for wed street meet and full exhaust is needed to exit behind the rear wheels
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Thanks EG5. The headlight idea will be okay - where i would race (benaraby) i beleive that a side pipe will be okay.

I would mainly try to go for low weight and good traction (would run slicks or street MT's) and try to aim for consistency rather than outright power. I think a C7 would be to expensive straight out so might have to settle for a C2. See what happens, like all good projects, these things take time.
    Honda Accord Euro

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesmo31 View Post
    Thanks EG5. The headlight idea will be okay - where i would race (benaraby) i beleive that a side pipe will be okay.

I would mainly try to go for low weight and good traction (would run slicks or street MT's) and try to aim for consistency rather than outright power. I think a C7 would be to expensive straight out so might have to settle for a C2. See what happens, like all good projects, these things take time.
    Full slicks
    Either M/T or M&H
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    If you do all that weight reduction you should get it down to around 750kg without driver. It could be even less. Don't forget to do something with the rear hatch. Its a heavy sucker.

Go with 22x8x13 slicks and a 4.7 or thereabouts diff ratio and you should get around the high 12's mark, even with relatively low power.

If its a dedicated drag car make sure you solid mount the engine. Don't bother with rubber/bushed engine mounts. They aren't required and it will aid traction.

Even if it is a race car you are required to have atleast one red flashing light on the back of the car. You may as well leave the tail lights operational (well atleast one).

for the project. There should be more of it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Thanks rooster - sounds good! Ill buy one of those bike rider flashing lights lol.

Talked to my old boy bout it last night - he thinks that trailering it around, buying bits and peices, tyres, fuel for the tow car, will be tooooo expensive. He will be happy to do it but he hates me spending money on anything that has wheels and not a tiled roof.

Would a B18C1 has enough poke to see me into the 13's? Also will the vti-r box handle brutal launches? then there is the lsd issue.

Im still looking at doing this, but need some time and motivation from the old man. Fingers crossed this will happen. Ide love to do it. Searching for junk eg's now....
    Honda Accord Euro

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    i reckon you should save a bit more and get the b18c7 with gearbox, that way it will already have LSD and 4.7 final drive. would be a much better and satisfying engine swap!
    put good I/H/E and tuned ECU and you should get around 110-120kw atw. drag slicks and good weight reduction... high 12s shoud be doable!
    YB0057 DC2R K20a 12.32 @ 108mph
    1.79 60ft

The OEM LSD is quite crap for hardcore traction wether it be circuit or drags.
    Go a multi-plate LSD like a KAAZ 1.5way for good traction and strength.
    Every car has its weak points, with Honda it is their gbox's.
    You can get it rebuild with carbon coated synchros and get everything coated in that strength treatment (forgot what its called), that should be ok for awhile but the more agressive your gear changes and launches you probably will end up stuffing it. The ultimate is going a full dog box gear set from M factory or PPG.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CBR600RR, EGG
    nevermind
    Last edited by MR-VTEC; 31-12-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: doesn't matter

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    ppg dogbox (i have enquired about this before) is basically $10,000. Little bit too expensive for my liking.
    Honda Accord Euro