Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R
    nice mate, that looks awesome! very similar to what I'm trying to acheive, probably better going with the rubber duct for heat conduction, but i might stick with the ally duct for now and see how it goes in... no time today but im going to try and make time tomorrow im hesitant to modify the airbox too, i really dont need 2 cars that could be defected - the mr2 is heaps bad enough (its just got a pod hanging straight off the tb a straight through 2.5" zorst, measured when new at 93db (6yrs ago or so) - not to mention a zillion rwc issues hehe)

im not 100% happy with the duct opening behind the indicators, im sure there is still heaps of cold air, but i want it facing forward into the breeze with as little in the way as possible it will definately suffice for a backup plan and really there is probably not much difference between rammage and not, i just like the idea of a positively pressurised airbox (no matter how marginal that pressure might be hehe)
    Last edited by toix; 03-01-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 K20
    http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...PagePosition=1

mine is similar to this setup same material just different size
    FS thread OMG heaps of parts for dc2/eg/ek wrecking eg vti!: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111753

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_foy View Post
    I have plenty of money to spend on the car and I had a cai previously, which i sold to go back to stock.

Honestly it's like the boyracer exhausts, just because there is sound doesnt mean you're going faster.

I have no worries of getting defected really, i'm allowed a cai in qld.
    Or I could spend $300 on bushes and be faster around the track?

Think what you want to, doesn't bother me the slightest.

When it comes to the Mugen CAI, it is not just "louder means faster" concept that you refer to. The major point of the Mugen is the response of the vehicle. Revs much quicker than stock or even with removing-the-resonator-and-drop-in-filter-mod.

Plus I also got it dyno proven and made a 5kw atw gain. Yeah it sounds crazy but compared to my older 'stock' dyno, I gained 5kw with a Mugen. I was expecting just a response gain, but was happy when I also got a power gain.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 Integra Type R
    not too sure if it will suit you as well but for my dc2r I had the comptech icebox with the standard K&N filter with no issues... comptech was 180 if I recal correctly

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R
    dc2r - as i said above, unless you dynoed the car on the same day, with the same tires and the same dyno set up, you cannot be sure that there is a particular increase or not... for eg, the dyno needs to be set up with rolling radius, if the tires are not at precisely the same state of wear, this will affect the results (i know it sounds crazy but its true)

regardless, the mugen crew probably do a very comprehensive job designing their intake. in exactly the same way that the intake runners on the vti-r engine work, the length and shape of the intake can be designed such that at a particular rpm, there is a passive "ram" effect (like well designed extractors). the engine sucks at a particular frequency, not a smooth suck... this sets up a waveform in the intake tube. just like you can get a bottle to hum by blowing across the top of it (this sets up a standing wave of the note you hear in the bottle) an air intake does the same thing. an expensive, fully engineered intake is designed such that, in the power band, the waveform that is generated is NOT standing, but slowly moving down the tube towards the engine. This reduces the intake resistance and passively forces air into the cylinders. As well as sucking cold air, this effect can also increase air density in the cylinder and hence increase power shorter, wider intakes will do this at higher rpm, longer thinner intakes at lower rpm. this is complicated (and is what you are paying for, hopefully!) and without some serious tools, you cannot do this at home

actually i just did a quick google, some bloke reckons hes done the calcs for his cam and his prelude: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1963201 anyway thats kinda what im getting at

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    yeah toix... i know that dynos should be done on the same day for best comparison, but my whole point for lil_foy is that, just because my mugen cai made louder noise that i think it also goes faster... that is not true in my case as i know that it does go faster. the response is certainly quicker... i got the mugen cai not for noise, bling, or power, but mainly for response. getting extra power is a bonus, as i said. although 5kw extra may sound like a lot, on a later date i also did dyno tests when i added header and exhaust and again it improved power. so the proof is still there, even if the dyno was not done on the same day, that my car at least made more power than previous times. figures aren't too important for me... all i want to know for myself is that i gained kw and that's all that matters.

ultimately, its the feel of the drive that i get that is important. if i had the same DIY mod on stock box and put on a mugen cai and did not feel any difference, then i would say mugen is crap... but the fact that i felt for myself there was a huge difference is what is important to me.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R
    yep, i dont doubt the mugen gear works not really a honda boy just yet but they do have a good reputation! do they also run an oiled filter?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    yes they do

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    lol at lil_foy.. yeah i bought the cold air intake for the hectik vtec noise...
    i didnt buy it for the increased airflow, smoother revs, and noticable torque increase at high rpms...

may i ask what CAI did you sell to go back to stock?...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R
    bump - stage 2 completed.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 K20
    IMo you could have done beta
    Last edited by imratedpg; 14-01-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    FS thread OMG heaps of parts for dc2/eg/ek wrecking eg vti!: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111753

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R
    lol so show me how its done

i reckon rubber is the way to go, my driveway is munching it