Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

header with stock exhaust

I'm just looking to improve power without making noise and am considering installing header.I've just ordered a j's intake however I don't want to change the exhaust as I don't want noise. Have you guys just installed headers to your stock exhaust and if so which ones did you use and did they help? my car is an ek4 (b16a2)... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gravias View Post
    I'm just looking to improve power without making noise and am considering installing header.I've just ordered a j's intake however I don't want to change the exhaust as I don't want noise. Have you guys just installed headers to your stock exhaust and if so which ones did you use and did they help? my car is an ek4 (b16a2)... thanks
    many aftermarket headers will bolt up directly to a stock muffler and catback. there will be gains but not as much as a full exhaust system. my advice would be to order something like xforce headers. there are a few performane mufflers u can buy if u want it quiet such as the twinloop muffler which will allow u to run a full exhaust system with decent gains and still stay quiet

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    If you don't want noise why are you getting a J's intake? Assuming you mean the whale-penis style? That's loud isn't it?

I agree with saikou27. There's not really any point in having after market headers unless you do a full front-to-back exhaust setup. Once the exhaust flows through your headers it will just get restricted again at the cat and cat-back.

You could get a 2.25'' setup maybe? They're not too loud, especially if you're not thrashing around everywhere

j's is loud but with over 40% open throttle.. i dont want loud exhaust coz i have problem with the police in my county.. i am thinking for itr jdm 4-1 header 2.5'' or dc sports 4-1 2.5'' header..can i inastall these headers to my stock exhaust system??? you have anything else to suggest?? for exhaust i am thinking about apexi ws but later...thanks

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    I agree, stock exhausts save heaps of hassle.

If you purchase a header with a 2.5" collector it will NOT bolt on. You will have to have a 2.5" flange welded to your OEM catback. It can be done at an exhaust shop.

The noise coming from an intake is nothing like the noise from an obnoxious exhaust. A lightened flywheel would do more for your car than a catback IMO.

I had a aftermarket header on my B16 with OEM exhaust, still was pretty quiet.

You could get a header with a 2.5" collector, install a 2.5" high flow cat and just have the cat adapted to suit your OEM catback. It would yield the most gain while still retaining the OEM quiet exhaust.

Hope that helps
    oh wrd!

thank you very much m8!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Great advice Trav!!

Rep Him!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    True, but I still don't think there's any point unless you're doing cat-back too.

What's the legal max decibels you can make? Surely you could get a 2.25'' system that would be driveable, no?

And if you want to stay under 40% throttle mostly and are driving around the suburbs where cops will pick on you for exhaust noise then you should probably stick to 4-2-1 headers as they give better mid-range power and general driveability whereas 4-1 headers are more for top-end power ---> in which case you would also want a cat-back to optimise that top-end gain.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    just get a oem ek9 exhaust
    its stainless and is close to 2.25"

that will be good enough for what you want it handles 135kw to your little 118kw

if you want it to rev a bit better, i would get the jdm 4-1 you mention with either a jdm 2.5" cat

everything can bolt up

or you could get ek9/96 itr headers/98 spec itr 4-1 headers , jdm 2.5 cat , ek9/jdm dc2r b pipe and use your existing ek4 muffler

all this can be fitted at home with some basic tools

Member Array
    Car:
    EG2, GD1, CL9
    since we're on the header/exhaust topic, a question for the wise.

apart from exhaust noise, to my underwstanding aftermarket headers will also increase noice level is that right? ie, keeping everything standard, but changing to an aftermarket headers noise will still increase?

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Quote Originally Posted by STTICH View Post
    since we're on the header/exhaust topic, a question for the wise.

apart from exhaust noise, to my underwstanding aftermarket headers will also increase noice level is that right? ie, keeping everything standard, but changing to an aftermarket headers noise will still increase?
    not by much mainly on vtec
    and only a tinny sound

nothing to worry about

TRAVDM Array
    Car:
    Lots of Hondas
    Quote Originally Posted by 90LAN View Post
    not by much mainly on vtec
    and only a tinny sound

nothing to worry about

What Lan said Kev. I had my Edelbrock 4-2-1 on my B16 with only an EG4 pee shooter cat back. Still hella quiet but at high revs it was noticably louder, it sounded sorta tinny. I like it though lol, I miss those days

Get a nice header for your Del Sol
    oh wrd!