Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic

New speakers and head unit... stock speaker wire, or run new wire?

I have plenty of decent speaker wire. I am wondering if there will be a noticeable difference between the stock speaker wire... and the larger gauge speaker wire, coming straight off the head unit cut and soldered on the Alpine harness, with no amplifier. Reason I ask is mainly laziness, seems like a lot of effort to run new wire through the car for no noticeable gain in performance off the head unit...

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    You may get a little more gain from running thicker wire.. but besides the subwoofer, using thick speaker wire shudnt make a big difference unless your stock wires are old and rusted etc

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    I'll have to take a look at the stock wires... by instinct I grabbed some speaker wire and began trying to run new wire through the door boot... and it ain't easy in a Civic!

My speakers are just Alpine S, connected up to the entry level Alpine head unit 50w x 4... CDE100EUB I believe the head unit is.

I picked the speakers and the unit up for ~$320 last week during the sales. Figured anything is better than the stock stereo, which had a broken volume control and one blown rear speaker lol.
    Last edited by tsg88; 01-01-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    nope wont make a noticable positive gain so its not worth your trouble

just keep your existing wiring as is

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    its all the same stuff buddy, its mainly subs that u might see a difference. In my opinion the stock is best cause they usually come with terminals (the metal thingy at the end not sure what its called).

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    Yeah I am going to remove the stock terminal connectors for the speakers and splice in the supplied Alpine connectors. But either way, using stock is going to save a whole heap of effort, just hoping I didn't damage the stock wires trying to thread the new wire up, but it should be fine, wasn't being too brutal.

Sorry about the mess last night, I posted in this board first, got no response... figured maybe it was a noob question so moved it, then got a quick response!

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by slimx View Post
    its all the same stuff buddy, its mainly subs that u might see a difference. In my opinion the stock is best cause they usually come with terminals (the metal thingy at the end not sure what its called).
    there called spade connectors, they sell em at jaycar, dicksmith, supercheap auto etc and can be easily connected to wires.
    OEM parts whore