Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    hmm, thats what iwas thinking, btw im 21 also.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    I plan to not tell AAMI, I went with them cause they had the cheapest third party at the time for the standard vehicle. However my car is a lot older and other than some new wheels and stereo (installed stereo yesterday) I don't plan to do much more other than improve the car and replace missing trim pieces etc, keep it pretty. But I can see where you are coming from.

If I was to insure a heavily modified vehicle I would look elsewhere but I ain't kidding myself, even with wheels and a new stereo the car is still just a 96 Honda EK1 CXi in their books.
    Last edited by tsg88; 03-01-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    DC5R with a JDM K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by p3akin View Post
    wat if your 25+... unlimited mods?? or what... please info
    Yeah, I when I went in (which was about 1.5 years ago though) I asked them heaps of questions about mods etc and pretty much if you're under 25 you get 1 major mod such as Audio, Exhaust etc and cannot have any other, but when you're over 25 you can have whatever.

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Not telling the insurer of mods you have made to the car is not a good move. If you are involved in a crash and make a claim, they will find out the car is modified (during inspection) and void the insurance on it.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    well i got coilovers, cai, changed wheels to itr, but same specs n hid.. dats it

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by r3ckless View Post
    well i got coilovers, cai, changed wheels to itr, but same specs n hid.. dats it
    If you want to play it safe then switch to Just Cars.
    Which is basically the same as AAMI, though I found that their quotes tend to be slightly more expensive.
    I have been switched between AAMI and JCI a few times depending on the cars I've driven. Haven't had any problems with either yet.

The other option is that you only tell them about one mod.
    Then hope that you never have an accident,
    or in the event that you do have an accident, you're able to revert the parts back to stock prior to assessment by AAMI.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    AAMI considered window tiniting a mod when I looked at them over 6yrs ago lol

prob best to switch to Justcars or RACQ
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Not telling the insurer of mods you have made to the car is not a good move. If you are involved in a crash and make a claim, they will find out the car is modified (during inspection) and void the insurance on it.
    I put in a modest Alpine stereo (less than $400 worth), but I told them in the initial qoute that it had alloy wheels, a little white lie but it saves the hassle later when I do put them on. Basically if the worst happens I end up with the vehicles market value minus the access. Being less than 25 kinda sucks with that sort of thing. My car is only worth $4000 to them, minus the access if it gets stolen or burnt out... I'm only seeing around $3k back. Makes it hardly seem worth it, only a few weeks pay haha. But I mainly did it for third party damage.

I believe the main thing to void your insurance policy is performance enhancements.

If it was a performance car I would be looking at Just Car Insurance personally. NRMA/RACQ are the most expensive quotes I've found.
    Last edited by tsg88; 04-01-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    ok, well i hit up AAMI.... told them i am changig the suspension and air intake.... all was good.. premium only went up $208.. and then asked if these two parts can be adjusted into my agreed value... he asked for the two amounts.. in total was 2150, so my agreed value went up by $2150

I'd say its ok, only went up $208 for those two parts!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Trapped.I'm not paying the ridiculous amounts that insurance companys charge for insuring a 'modified vehicle' so I stick with AAMI.

I have told them about my mods and they listed them all on the computer.

In the event of an accident I was told the mods aren't covered.That's cool,I'm cool with that.

They will pay the market value,which decreases quickly.

I don't trust them one bit and can easily see them not paying out in an accident.

Anyway,I will ring them tomorrow now I've read this and find out the situation forsure,I mean these bloody big companys change thier policy like they change thier undies,ya wouldn't know where ya stand from one day to the next.

The RTA do the same.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    aami repairs are shithouse, go to an insurance company where in the "unlikely event of an incident" you can get 3 quotes from workshops of YOUR choice and they choose the lowest.

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Back in the day, I bought an XH ute for $10500, a few months later the Mrs wrote it off and insurance paid me out $12000 for it

That was with Suncorp Metway at the time, so they do pay up (to Beeza).
    Last edited by Troy; 04-01-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: It was Beeza!