Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    LEXUS GS300

Repairing write off EG..Help Needed!!

Hey guys,

My mate has an 94 EG Gli that was recently hit head on with some front damage and was written off. The car and engine itself are in top nick (engine only has 100,000kms on it) and its only the front right headlight, bumper and front subframe connecting the bumper to the engine bay which have been affected. If he replaces these 3 parts is he able to re-register the car and get a RWC with no problems?

Or does he need to get an entirely new chassis and re-register it with that chassis with original engine ect?

Any help would be appreciated it.

Cheers lads!
    3TripleZero

USDMyo

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMeister View Post
    Hey guys,

My mate has an 94 EG Gli that was recently hit head on with some front damage and was written off. The car and engine itself are in top nick (engine only has 100,000kms on it) and its only the front right headlight, bumper and front subframe connecting the bumper to the engine bay which have been affected. If he replaces these 3 parts is he able to re-register the car and get a RWC with no problems?

Or does he need to get an entirely new chassis and re-register it with that chassis with original engine ect?

Any help would be appreciated it.

Cheers lads!
    Well aslong as it's not declared a STATUTORY WRITE OFF and its declared a REPAIRABLE WRITE OFF it'll be fine..
    Once it's statutory that's it.. The car is finished...

If you replace the panels which are stuffed you won't need to re-register it, a panel shop will clear the fix and then a RWC will allow you to register it..
    You shouldn't need an entire new chassis..

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    mostlikely the car will need to go for a VIV report, before rwc and re-rego.....

just becareful and be sure u know what needs to b changed and repaired otherwise it wont pass VIV and ur stuck with it....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Gli 1994
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for replies, Im new to this forum, the above civic is mine.

How do you know if its stat or repairable write off?

Some guy went through red light and hit my dad, he took off front bumper and headlight so they declared it write off and insurance paid my dad 3.5k.

I drove the car 120km hr and it seems fine so i dont know why they couldnt fix it, apperently they write of anything over 10years old.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    if its a write off you cannot rego it again

if its a repairable write off you can go get it regoed again after you fix it
    and take it to a approved repairable inspection place to be checked

if its a write off you can only use as spare parts

Op

if in nsw , you can do a REVS check online with the rego , engine and vin number and it will tell you if it's a stat write off or repairable write off ( financial loss)

Or .... Ask the insurance company you are with and they should be able to tell you.

As for repairing it , get quotes from repairers don't ask here. It's impossible to
    get a proper figure on the internet.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 Eg Hatch
    if it is a statutory write off the vehicle can never be road registered agaion (although u can fix and use as track car)
    repairable write off you can road register again as long as the car has been repaired to standard and it will have to pass some form ov inspection depending on what state you are in (victoria it is a viv) they cost aroung $1200 in vic so keep that in mind if money is a factor...
    If he repairs it himself he will have a lot of trouble clearing a viv as if you personally do it and not a panel shop you must document every single action you perform on the car and wrote detailed descriptions on how you repair it, keep all receipts etc.. my partner is a fully qualified panel beater and he repaired a repairable write off and it is a very lengthy and complicated process to clear the required inspections so best to leave it to the professionals or tell ya mate to buy another civic.
    if you dont know if it is a repairable or stat write off you can do a revs check in any state (they may be named diff things in diff states)
    it must pass the required inspection before you can acquire a rwc and get it re-registered..
    hope that helps

Member Array
    Car:
    LEXUS GS300
    OP is in VIC if that helps.
    3TripleZero

USDMyo

So you guys still have the car , even though you got paid by insurance? I'm assuming you bought it back from the auction house.

I know someone who went through a bucket load of trouble dealing with awritten off car, transferring shit over..etc etc Seriously, the car is worth 3.5K, not worth it. Look for another car and have a fresh start. EK gli's/cxi are getting dirt cheap now.
    Last edited by SiReal; 05-01-2010 at 04:03 PM.

If that's the case and you have the car...
    Buy a cheap dead EG, rip the engine out, get your mate to put his old one in.
    Just thought i'd give u an idea.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Gli 1994
    Thanks guys,

I will try and find out if its repairable but most likely i would buy a dead one and just put my engine in it and pannels because they are all in perfect condition, I'm just doing research before i commit to it.

I would do everything myself, i have a friend as well as my old man who did it all before including electronics so it would be lot of work but as well as fun just getting it done.

I will post some photos and show why they wrote the car off( its redcilious )

They offered us $250 if we give them a car or if we want to keep it we just got paid $250 less so 3.5k rather than 3.75.

Cheers and keep it coming

Well for $250,. i'd take the car too to be honest.

how much are panel shops charging for repair? have u gotten quotes? Might be easier if you source all the parts, load it in the boot and say, can you repair, fit and paint?

Costs more, but at least you get your car back on the road in a shorter time.
    Last edited by SiReal; 06-01-2010 at 09:10 AM.