Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DA3->EK1->DC2->

Buying a scooter - What to look for

Hi all

Im buying a scooter for the first time and would like to seek help.

I am looking at a used scooter, either Honda Today 50 or Yamaha Jog 50cc. Id like to ask some questions about buying a used scooter.

How many km's do brakes last on average?
    How many km's do tyres last on average?
    Is there anything to look out for when inspecting a second hand scooter?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by specialst View Post
    Hi all

Im buying a scooter for the first time and would like to seek help.

I am looking at a used scooter, either Honda Today 50 or Yamaha Jog 50cc. Id like to ask some questions about buying a used scooter.

How many km's do brakes last on average?
    How many km's do tyres last on average?
    Is there anything to look out for when inspecting a second hand scooter?

Thanks

Firstly , a 50cc scooter may have its advantages ( no bike license required - only car license , cheap on fuel etc) but it is severely SLOW.
    If you intend on any distance work not to the shops and back etc , i would avoid and go get atleast a 100cc 2 stroke or 150+cc 4 stroke scooter.

A yamaha beewee 100cc is a great scooter cheap decent power i had one myself.

The scooter has generally a discs front and a drum rear. Some scooters have drum front n rears or disc front n rears. Pads or shoes last atleast 20-40,000ks depending on user application.

Scooter tyres last around 10,000ks from experience. shorter for sticker ones and longer for crapper ones

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Buy a 125cc scooter, minimum. And stay away from crap, Chinese built scooters that are flooding the market. Bolwell/PGO/Sym make some great value, quality scooters. I had a 125 Arriba for 4 years, and it never missed a beat in the 12,000k I owned it.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    ive been considering buying a small scooter to share with my missus as she want a bike since i got mine...

i would say they would have the same considerations as a motorcycle in terms of what to look out for... chains, tyres and servicing...

I wouldnt buy anything less than a 125... anything smaller in my opinion is just plain unsafe in any city in Australia...
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    ive been considering buying a small scooter to share with my missus as she want a bike since i got mine...

i would say they would have the same considerations as a motorcycle in terms of what to look out for... chains, tyres and servicing...

I wouldnt buy anything less than a 125... anything smaller in my opinion is just plain unsafe in any city in Australia...

They are WAY cheaper than motorcycles as far as parts and maintenance, Especially if you service them yourself, it's a snack.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    i was referring moreso to what the OP needs to look out for when purchasing, which is what his original question was
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX & CRV
    Im in Adelaide and have owned a scooter for the last 5 years, so if you don't want to get a motorbike licence get a 50cc. 50cc is fine for around town and mine does 70Kms easy.
    I'd look into SYM (bolwell). mine has 12000kms on it and it still drives like new.
    wheels will last about 7000-10000kms but remember u have to check pressure every week or so.....
    my brakes have not been replaced since new.....so not sure how long they will last. Paul at city scootz is good and will give u all the info you need.
    Hope this helps

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3->EK1->DC2->
    thanks everyone! the info is definitely useful.

I do realise 50cc is slow! Im working in adelaide city this year and was planning to ride into work rather then driving. I acknowledge that australian traffic is dangerous so perhaps a gutless 50cc isnt the way to go.

Having said that though; I have since been widening my pov and found myself liking the specs and look of the Aprilia SR 50 DITECH. Any experience with this one? Apparently deregulated it does good speeds. im saying no to scooters made in china.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooman View Post
    Im in Adelaide and have owned a scooter for the last 5 years, so if you don't want to get a motorbike licence get a 50cc. 50cc is fine for around town and mine does 70Kms easy.
    Hey Hooman; how dangerous/safe do u think it is riding into the city during peak time traffic in adelaide is? mMmm 70km/h sounds good for a 50cc. Deregulated yeh?

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX & CRV
    the city is fairly safe, but you still have to be on guard at all times, i have been knocked off once and had several close calls. My Bolwell Jive does 70kms with me on it and it did it from new, never had to do anything to it. But i'm only 62 Kgs. I've had it do 90 down a slight hill.....
    If you live near the city it's great cos u save on parking and fuel, mine does 200kms on 5L..
    I can honestly say that buying a scooter was a great investment decision for me.

i bought one to go to and from uni. 100cc honda lead. slow as shit. I don't take it above 60 coz it feels like its revving too hard, but can get up to about 80, but its perfect for in the city and inner suburbs/ short trips.

I wouldn't recommend a 50cc unless your commuting purely in the city in which case they are AWESOME. If your commute is a bit longer, i'd be looking at 125 to 150cc. Those can reach over 100 IF needed. but still wouldnt recommend taking scooters on 80+ roads/freeways.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    you need something that can accelerate good from stand still, you do not want to be pissing people off at traffic lights, top speed isnt important unless you want to drive on highways.
    In saying that i don't reccomend driving on bigger roads, ive been over taken by semi trailers while doing 70km/h on a scooter and if i didnt weigh 95kg i feel as though id be sucked away.

There is alot of fast little scooters, i cant remember specific ones but i think they were made by one of the superbike companies.

Personally i only care about Vespas.
    Last edited by 0098; 11-01-2010 at 06:56 PM.

small fast scooters....are always 2 stroke.

4 stroke are slow until 150+cc s . Trust me , get a 100cc 2 stroke and that will be good enough to get out of the way of anything on the normal daily road. Just dont go on teh freeway lol