Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HID and Carbon Plug Cover install on DC2R

Hi All,

I recently got a Championship White DC2R and although I have promised my wife I wont go mad on it, I did want to make a few small changes.

In an amazing co-incidence, Platinum Visuals announced a sale on HID kits and Carbon Fiber spark plug covers the day before I picked up my new car, so I secretly sold some car parts to help fund the new aquisitions!

First off, the Carbon Fiber spark plug cover, it was much cheaper than some others I have seen (around $72), and as the first CF thing I have ever bought, the quality is quite good, the resin is nice and clear, no bubbles and the shape allowed easy fitment to my cam-cover without any force, it just dropped straight in!

I think the only advice I would give with one of these is to find some small rubber o-rings to use between the cover nuts as I was worried about how tight to do them up against the CF.

Matches with my CF Whale You-Know-What huh??

Then it was HID time, again, I have never tried these before, but the instructions were easy enough to follow, the only part was that it said you should upgrade the headlight fuse to 20A, which turns out is recommended when you use the Hi/Lo kit..

These kits have an 18 month warranty, and at $112, was a great purchase, and Aytac from Platinum Visuals responded almost instantly to my email questions about the fuses, I was worried I was going to stuff something up! The kit components are well made and quite neat looking, and all up didn't really weigh that much for those thinking of extra weight on a DC2R.

Putting them in was fairly simple, and the only sort of hard part was mounting the Ballasts, luckily for the DC2R, there was some perfect points that already had things bolted I could use.

These units come with Power-Off and Wrong-Terminal protection, which in my case was needed, as when I got my car there was NO BULBS at all, the previous owner had removed the bulbs, and the plugs were missing too!

I sourced some plugs off a Toyota that were the same, but did not realise the + and - are reversed (silly Toyota for having a black wire as pos) but using a multimeter, soon sorted this all out.

When the lights are on, they light up the road like nothing I have ever had before, and I have not had any flashes from oncoming traffic, so they must be aimed well enough to not blind oncoming cars.. They work well in the rain, and the brightness now of road signs and road reflectors is great.

Here are some pics of my installation, no nightime pics yet..

This is the Ballast installed on the drivers side, using the bracket for the ABS/Air filter to mount it

This is the Ballast installed on the passenger side, used a small bracket that holds a wiring loom plug to mount it

This shows the HID when on

Slightly closer view

View with bonnet closed, nice and bright

So all up, for less than $200 I have ended up with some nice mods to my car, Aytac at Platinum Visuals was easy to deal with, and very helpful. Feel free to PM me for any info/suggestions etc

Check out the HID sale thread below

Platinum Visuals HID's

Cheers

Tseesinngwailo
    Last edited by tseesinngwailo; 07-01-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '98 EK

Qu.

Hey, did you have to change the standard headlight bulb plugs?

No, the kit just plugs into your standard OEM plugs, I only had issues cause I used the Toyota plugs on my car, so the wiring was wrong way around.

Cheers
    Chris
    (\__/)

Always good to see a happy customer!

Chris!!!!!!!!!!

You've got your dream car, how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    Chris!!!!!!!!!!

You've got your dream car, how do you like it?
    I love it! very happy, and very lucky there was a sale on the day bfore I got it hahaha, I have always wanted HID, so its good to have, much better than standard lights..

Hopefully will bring it along to a meet soon

Cheers

Chris
    (\__/)

Sorry for being a bit off topic but is that a J's intake yeah? hows it go?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadc2r View Post
    Sorry for being a bit off topic but is that a J's intake yeah? hows it go?
    goes great, but am thinking of selling it, or modifying it to take a standard DC2R airbox. The rubber seal around the pipe from the valve cover has a leak, so whistles under acceleration.
    (\__/)

I get the same whistle from my standard airbox under load lol but havent found whats doing it yet

its normal.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

I'll have to start a "whistling intake thread " lol, this thread has been hijacked haha

I have since put the rubber o-rings under the nuts for the carbon fiber plug cover, they are nice and secure now

Will be doing another write up as will be putting the new LED's in my parkers and numberplate lights
    (\__/)

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    all u need to do now is degrease and clean the red and it will look nice with the carbon fibre cover...