Page 50 of 109 FirstFirst ... 404748495051525360100 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    Tinkerbell, I meant more the retarding and advancing of both cams and their effect on the engine and what is deemed to be found as a "trend" in honda engines, particular B series. Not so much clearances, that's preliminary work.
    cam gear adjustment is not a 'trend' - it is a long established method of fine tuning...

degreeing cams to spec gets them as close as possible to optimum position, then work from there, once degreed, it depends on how the engine reacts and then adjustment is made accordingly...

if the owner wants a particular outcome, e.g. top end power, then the cam gears can be adjusted to achieve this, if the owner wants more midrange, this can be achieved too... (provided the 'combination' is right)

to answer your question, the "specific ballpark" is the cam card specs...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

TB -- Ok. So you built yours, relying on advice from others as well.

I don't understand what makes you so different to me (or others contemplating a build?) in terms of:

1) Seeking advice if any doubt,
    2) Confirming steps along the way
    3) Experienced builders offering 'pearls of wisdom' that come with the profession,

Are you going to share your experience and anything that it usually overlooked?

It seems the ones with real knowledge aren't prepared to really share it (on a forum at least or are concerned that because the process IS repeatable that they may lose business).. My point is this.. We all seem to be a helpful bunch and I appreciate those with experience taking time out to comment from time-time where appropriate (I don't take it as a given!).. But rather than you are heading for disaster or 'the attention is in the detail' .. Can we elaborate a little further? i.e. I posted an article How to build a 2L Engine. It seemed thorough, the only comment was from Chris saying that Larry does a good article.. Is this article thorough enough to go over building an engine? If not, can the experienced guys comment as to what is missed (if something specific) or 'follow that to the 't' and you should get a good result?'

I have plenty of time to build the engine -- I am not in a rush. So everything will be planned and done with plenty of re-measuring and confirming prior to action.. If I am patient, listen to others advice, etc .. Why can't I hope for the same outcome as you?

I am happy to pay for experience - I understand time is money. But I also want to learn & understand why all these little things add up to signficant gains..

ALSO -- When it comes to bearings and required thicknesses.. Do you sand the bearing down a few thou if required (can't be accurate?!) or do you have access to multiple sets of bearings to get the correct thickness exactly?

Adrian, Chris, TB -- Thanks for your input. I'm not trying to be 'difficult' or unappreciative. Just want to learn

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    eg si
    any tips on wat i need to do besides the oil conversion kit with a b20b block and my b18 head put in a eg already got my old lume setup and everything wich is b series does it all fit up and wat modifcations and parts do i need to change cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ewendc2r View Post
    It seems the ones with real knowledge aren't prepared to really share it (on a forum at least or are concerned that because the process IS repeatable that they may lose business)..
    it is good to see that you have recognised this factor.

When it comes to bearings and required thicknesses.. Do you sand the bearing down a few thou if required (can't be accurate?!) or do you have access to multiple sets of bearings to get the correct thickness exactly?
    OK, so you kinda need to start with basics, and Q&A on a forum is NOT the place for that...

google is the place for that.

you say you *found* larrys BTTB article - but by the above bearing question you seem to have not actually read every word of it... have you?

have you also read this one: http://www.theoldone.com/articles/La...rrys_Civic.htm

what about http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=326

and now i am just spoon feeding you....

GOOGLE! then get one-on-one with a 'builder' and discuss...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Quote Originally Posted by camo9999 View Post
    any tips on wat i need to do
    read this thread from page 1 is first my tip... and click on the links that have been posted in it is my second tip...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

LOL ^^^ Beat me to it.

TB -- Thanks for that, No i hadn't read those articles yet... they look very interesting / detailed. Perhaps we can put up a resource sticky for all these types of links that people may find useful?? Or are they a bit technical for the majority?

And my primary research isn't forums, its google hah .. I just am cautious of wasting people like Adrian and Chris time as I know they must be very busy...

I am quite happy to waste yours though TB LOL

thanks again - will come back after more reading.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Meh I got nothing to loose.

Ewem, I told you that you are more than capable of building an engine if you do enough research, and by the sounds of your car/history with it, i'd like to see you attempt to build your own. If it's the last time/thing for this car, why not make it a memorable one? From the sounds of things, it didnt sound like you were going to have this chance again for a while - but I may be wrong.

TB - holy shit my friend, I didn't know evans had that kind of thread, that IS a spoonfeeder LOL. I must say I don't really troll his forums, i've heard some good stuff about them though.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    Meh I got nothing to loose.

Ewem, I told you that you are more than capable of building an engine if you do enough research, and by the sounds of your car/history with it, i'd like to see you attempt to build your own. If it's the last time/thing for this car, why not make it a memorable one? From the sounds of things, it didnt sound like you were going to have this chance again for a while - but I may be wrong.

TB - holy shit my friend, I didn't know evans had that kind of thread, that IS a spoonfeeder LOL. I must say I don't really troll his forums, i've heard some good stuff about them though.
    man evan has plenty of videos on youtube, how to swap lsd for example.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Yeah I think I will just need to re-think goals and take peoples advice in terms of cam choice, but from my research, my cam choice is Skunk 2 Pro 1 :

Rocket M22X:

m22x: INTAKE lift - 12.1 mm, duration 244 @ 1mm
    EXHAUST lift - 12.1 mm, duration 244 @ 1mm

Toda B / C:

- Spec B's

INTAKE lift - 12 mm, duration 255 @1mm
    EXHAUST lift - 12mm, duration 245 @1mm

- Spec C's

INTAKE lift - 12.5 mm, duration 255 @1mm
    EXHAUST lift - 12.5mm, duration 255 @1mm

Compared to: ITR Specs

Int-243 dur. / 11.5mm lift
    Exh-235 dur. / 10.5mm lift

Now I keep hearing something about toda and jun being very hard on the rockers? high wear? or is this a bullshit rumour/****up on someones install etc. ??

Also my understanding is longer duration generally means high powerband and high lift also encourages power at high rpm ... beyond that i gotta lot more readin to do.

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Adrian, Chris, TB -- Thanks for your input. I'm not trying to be 'difficult' or unappreciative. Just want to learn
    NP, I'd like to waste all day on line, but I can't.
    If you're stuck, by all means, pick up the phone & call.
    I'll type the odd long winded reply when I have a chance.

Now I keep hearing something about toda and jun being very hard on the rockers? high wear? or is this a bullshit rumour/****up on someones install etc. ??
    More bullshit... TODA cams work & they last.

Unusual wear in the rocker / head area points at oil control issues & the 1st place to look is the spray bars & or the centre dowel & o-ring under #3 cam cap.

Ewen, are you going to retain your std ITR intake manifold & throttle?
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    I'm using a 68mm throttle a victor X on my current build . Lets see how she likes it!

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    man evan has plenty of videos on youtube, how to swap lsd for example.
    ...in which he advocates not bothering shimming the diff correctly because he hasn't had any problems so far...
    I have signatures turned off