Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst ... 34567891656106 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
    ok well lan lets say a person who wants a b20vtec with nothing..now when i add figures im not 100% on what they cost so i will round it to the next hundred.

b20 - 200-300
    b20vtec kit - 150-300
    b16a/b18c/b18c7 head WITH box - 1.5k - 3k
    big tube headers - 500 - 1k
    catback to exhaust - 500 - 1k
    ecu (crome, hondata) 300 - 1k
    labour + fitting parts ( now this depends on what shops you go to BUT if your in sydney then ben can do it for a price just pm ) 1k - 3k
    tune ( also where you go depends ) 500 - 1k
    breather kit - 150 - 300

now this is what i can think of.. some one will add more IF its needed for a BASIC setup. this should give you an idea

now the prices i will say again i dont know 100% of them so i rounded them off to the next hundred..

also times depends.. some are low 13s some are high 13s just depends on driver

still not cheap as some people make it out to be
    you always have to spend money no matter what engine you have to go fast
    if it could be done 4 k drive in drive out to do 13's
    i would do it today in one of my cars

and a 1 sec difference is not driver its more to do with the set up you have

dont sugar coat it guys we only want honest answers

No one has stated what a typical B20 + vtec + running gear + tuneable ecu + ecu is costing....anyone care to work it out roughly ?

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Aight,, I'll use myself as an example..

i Drive a EM1. (b16).. how much am i looking at to get a b20 conversion done. Drive in drive out price. Any recommendations for Sydney people for where to go?

How much power can i expect from the most basic b20.

How much power can i expect from a b20 with ITR internals.

As i read above, some people claim to make 120kw odd on a basic b20.. someone else claimed to make 110kw odd with ITR internals..

Now why is there a huge difference in power figures?

1/4 mile times dont really mean much, when its different setup , different driver? different car?

Thank You.
    Last edited by CB7_OWNER; 08-01-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by CB7_OWNER View Post
    Aight,, I'll use myself as an example..

i Drive a EM1. (b16).. how much am i looking at to get a b20 conversion done. Drive in drive out price. Any recommendations for Sydney people for where to go?

How much power can i expect from the most basic b20.

How much power can i expect from a b20 with ITR internals.

As i read above, some people claim to make 120kw odd on a basic b20.. someone else claimed to make 110kw odd with ITR internals..

Now why is there a huge difference in power figures?

1/4 mile times dont really mean much, when its different setup , different driver? different car?

Thank You.
    Just to work out a real no bullshit quote what mods are done to your EM1 ?

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    ben i did at my post

and yes lan it may NOT be as cheap as expected BUT it will go better then your tradional b18c7 conversion

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
    ben i did at my post

and yes lan it may NOT be as cheap as expected BUT it will go better then your tradional b18c7 conversion

well a b20 is not a conversion its technically a engine build in my books

so of course its going to be better

at no stage did i say the b20 was anything less

just trying to get a straight response to what a decent b20 will cost and what times/power it will i get

and to see if its worth while doing for the cost compared to other motors like the k20/k24/h2b etc

because when i look at that parts list and cost and labour it starts to really add up

but if its doable for under 5 k like people have said
    it will be a really good option for alot of people

dont get me wrong i spoke to a b20 eng builder when i had my b16 never got around to it
    thats why im asking these q's

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by 90LAN View Post
    well a b20 is not a conversion its technically a engine build in my books

so of course its going to be better

at no stage did i say the b20 was anything less

just trying to get a straight response to what a decent b20 will cost and what times/power it will i get

and to see if its worth while doing for the cost compared to other motors like the k20/k24/h2b etc

because when i look at that parts list and cost and labour it starts to really add up

but if its doable for under 5 k like people have said
    it will be a really good option for alot of people

dont get me wrong i spoke to a b20 eng builder when i had my b16 never got around to it
    thats why im asking these q's
    From the guys I've spoken to who have done B20 builds I think just a slap-on build (IE B16 stuck onto a B20 bottom with I/H/E) will make around 115-120kw ATW, whereas a fairly built one with a mod'd head/bottom will make around 150-160kw ATW.

But the torque is what makes it such a killer.

Maybe ask Benson who I've been talking to a bit recently. He's running a H2B but has built a couple of B20VTECs for the track and seems to know a bit about them.

Hope this helps.

Account Disabled Array
    To help put things in perspective and help let people know the potential of a stockish b20vtec we did a b20vtec to our ITR over 2years ago when we spun a bottom end.

We needed a cheap replacement, so we had a slapper B20vtec bottom end lying around (decked). Nothing special really, just a real quick slapper with all spare parts used.

So the motor just basically replace the 1.8l ITR bottom end with the 2.0l B20 bottom end. Nothing else was changed, same bolt-ons was retain (DD custom 4-2-1 headers, Intake, ECU + tune). Motor ran 13.6@103mph with the ITR motor (124kw ATW). With the B20vtec, it ran 13.4@104mph (121kw ATW). Driver was the same!. Daily driving with the b20vtec is more noticable as well, didnt need as much throttle to get it around town

Even though it made less power and compression, the torque advantage over the ITR bottom end is comparable.

As for budget Lan, ASSUMING you have all the bolt-ons from the B18c, a GOOD V1 b20 bottom end can be had for around 2kish. Add labour to assemble it and get it in the car. Your looking at around 3kish to be safe, to get it all running. Some people can do it heaps cheaper if they do their own labour

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    To help put things in perspective and help let people know the potential of a stockish b20vtec we did a b20vtec to our ITR over 2years ago when we spun a bottom end.

We needed a cheap replacement, so we had a slapper B20vtec bottom end lying around (decked). Nothing special really, just a real quick slapper with all spare parts used.

So the motor just basically replace the 1.8l ITR bottom end with the 2.0l B20 bottom end. Nothing else was changed, same bolt-ons was retain (DD custom 4-2-1 headers, Intake, ECU + tune). Motor ran 13.6@103mph with the ITR motor (124kw ATW). With the B20vtec, it ran 13.4@104mph (121kw ATW). Driver was the same!. Daily driving with the b20vtec is more noticable as well, didnt need as much throttle to get it around town

Even though it made less power and compression, the torque advantage over the ITR bottom end is comparable.

As for budget Lan, ASSUMING you have all the bolt-ons from the B18c, a GOOD V1 b20 bottom end can be had for around 2kish. Add labour to assemble it and get it in the car. Your looking at around 3kish to be safe, to get it all running. Some people can do it heaps cheaper if they do their own labour

thanks for the good informative reply

what about a basic build with no existing b series in your car

add another 4k - 5k ?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord
    V1 B20 bottomend same as Phamburgers 133kw engine & MikeyG just under 120kw engine,this is if you already have a B/Vtec powered car and removed the engine yourself and supplied your current engine to this engine builder,he fits everything including the oil/water heat exchanger from your current setup,so please REMEMBER THIS IS THE LOWEST SPEC Version offered from him,and being a B20B8 engine they share the same oil pump as ITR/VtiR B18c and later B16a engines.

You Get

B20B8 bottomend
    Completely stripped,chem cleaned,honed,decked block
    CNC Notched STD B20 pistons (pic's will be posted later tonight)
    New Hastings Piston Rings
    Rods fitted with ARP Rod Bolts,Closed & Honed
    ACL Race Bearings
    OEM Bottomend Gasket Set
    OEM B18C Timing Belt
    OEM B18c Harmonic Balancer (if your current one is not suitable)
    OEM B18c/B16a Water Pump
    Golden Eagle Vtec Conversion kit with 0.030" head gasket
    ARP Head Studs
    Your oil pump stripped and modified and reshimed for higher oil pressure

It will cost $3500/4000 fully assembled depending on the dollar at time of engine build.

This package has run mid to low 13's in DC2R's/EG's and early CRX using ITR head/cams/intake manifolds fitted with a good set of headers and exhaust,this package will run fine on a STD ECU untill the owner can get it tuned.

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR996 View Post
    Just to work out a real no bullshit quote what mods are done to your EM1 ?
    My EM1 has CAI and a muffler. thats its. cause i would like a engine swap/rebuild in the future.. so i havent touched exhaust yet, as im not sure if it can be reused on a b20.

Thanks
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord
    For CB7_OWNER

With a setup for you there would be a few changes to the above setup I posted up.

B20B8 bottomend
    Completely stripped,chem cleaned,honed,decked block
    CNC Notched STD B20 pistons (pic's will be posted later tonight)
    New Hastings Piston Rings
    Rods fitted with ARP Rod Bolts,Closed & Honed
    ACL Race Bearings
    OEM Bottomend Gasket Set
    OEM B18C Timing Belt
    OEM Harmonic Balancer (your current one would be used)
    OEM B18c/B16a Water Pump (your current one would be used)
    Golden Eagle Vtec Conversion kit with 0.030" head gasket
    ARP Head Studs

Your oil pump stripped and modified and reshimed for higher oil pressure your water pipe thermostat housing oil/water heat exchanger and all other bolt-ons would be used to keep costs down as much as possible this engine
    using STD B16a header and exhaust,intake manifold TB will make 113-118kw your current ECU will run this fine till more mods are done again to keep the cost down with tuning and ECU upgrades.

It will cost $3000 fully assembled depending on the dollar at time of engine build if you want the head serviced while its off add another $800.

I will add more and change this over the next few days just waiting on some other prices about a drive in drive out deal.