You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2

Bike oil same as Car oil?

Hey all, probably a really stupid question considering they are both 4 stroke engines, but can i used a car motor oil in my bike?

Recommended oil is 10w30 funnily enough!
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    No, they can be different because bikes lube the transmission using the engine oil, and some bikes use wet clutches which require a different oil to a car's engine oil.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    ahhh yes! mine is a wet clutch!

Great point!

not just that...im sure aaron can fill us in on this.

But Bike oils are multipurpose and have different (stronger?) molecular chains as they are for the transmission /clutch plates , and also an engine system running in excess of 10,000-20,000rpms

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    not just that...im sure aaron can fill us in on this.

But Bike oils are multipurpose and have different (stronger?) molecular chains as they are for the transmission /clutch plates , and also an engine system running in excess of 10,000-20,000rpms
    Interestingly, motorcycle oils are less "slippery" in that they allow the wet clutches to still grip. Normal car engine oils will cause the clutches to slip, especially if the viscosity is low (like Honda's 10w-30). I believe thicker oils than that might be ok to use, but I am not 100% sure.

And the engine oil also acts as a coolant, for bikes with air-cooled engines.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    interesting... the stuff they use at my dealership is Motul 10w30... my bike is watercooled so the cooling factor wouldnt be an issue... anyway thanks heaps for the information lads... my oil pressure light came on yesterday, probably because i havent checked the oil in a year... i want to do a change

Member Array
    Car:
    GSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    interesting... the stuff they use at my dealership is Motul 10w30... my bike is watercooled so the cooling factor wouldnt be an issue... anyway thanks heaps for the information lads... my oil pressure light came on yesterday, probably because i havent checked the oil in a year... i want to do a change
    A year? That's kronic!!! I'm using 15w-50 in my 954..
    .: I Heart Honda :.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Yes you can use car oil in bikes. I use Valvoline Duratech semi synthetic 10w 40 in my 07 Z1000 ( recommended for bike usage on Valvoline website ). This oil scored very highly in an extensive oil comparo. They recommend you dont use car oils that have friction modifiers added, as this can cause clutch slippage.( not used in general )

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

This test is interesting, though it doesn't include "motorcycle" specific oils. The common belief amongst bike riders is that motorcycle specific oils are just hyped up versions of, well, just oil. They are sold at a premium price to justify the smaller market and advertising costs etc.

I have been riding all sorts of bikes for over 20 years now, and ALWAYS used car engine oils in my bikes. I've also never had a clutch problem or engine problem, and stick to a 5000k or 6 months engine oil change routine.
    Last edited by fundies; 12-01-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    I'm thinking of using Motul 7100 4T 10W-40 for my bike.. it's due for it's 1000km service soon... Any opinions?

I forgot what the manufacturer's recommendation is for the viscosity.....
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepperfish View Post
    A year? That's kronic!!! I'm using 15w-50 in my 954..
    ive put about 1500kms on it in a year... but yeh i know its lazy as **** to be honest... hopefully it hasnt damaged it, its only got about 3000km on it

i doubt damage as these lights are for idiots like me that dont check things...

Member Array
    Car:
    GSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    ive put about 1500kms on it in a year... but yeh i know its lazy as **** to be honest... hopefully it hasnt damaged it, its only got about 3000km on it

i doubt damage as these lights are for idiots like me that dont check things...
    Should be fine dude!!

The guy I got my 954 from had it all serviced up and only put 2000km on it in 2.5 years, so when I bought it I had every fluid in the bike changed and then some..
    .: I Heart Honda :.

Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    yeh i know :-)

plus thats the benefit of an engine design which is essentially 20 years old... theyre unbreakable!