Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    s2000

What radiator options??

Hi, my car has been overheating the past couple of days, in that time I have replaced thermo fan, flushed coolant and checked all connections. It had stopped overheating in town and was going fine, until on my way to work this morning I found the car OVERHEATING!! on the highway! WTF!!! Highway = high flowing air into radiator = how the hell does it overheat, isn't it supposed to overheat in town.

Take it to my mechanic looks at it and sees that the top coolant hose, is bulging and says to me there is alot of pressure and says the reason my car is overheating could be because of lack of flow. Therefore he tells me my radiator might be blocked and might need to be fixed/replaced. He was also telling me the radiator I have is "too small" and might have to consider for a full size radiator.

However, my manifold and turbo stick out a fair bit and this can cause some clearance issues.

I just wanted to know what other types of radiators are out there for the guys who are running turbo setups?

Also is my radiator up to the job (as in getting a new one of same size).

Pics.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Do you actually use coolant???

Radiator size is fine. It was fine previously wasn't it? Half size radiator has/is used 1000's of times by people with turbo setups, with no issues.

Brands, PWR, Koyo, Flyidine, Mishimoto. Have a look at the traders section on the forum.

Best way to make sure its the radiator is to take it out and inspect. Make sure it does actually flow.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    lol yes i I actually do use coolant, diluted it to 33%, just changed it yesterday.

I am going to take it out and actually see if there is a blockage in it.

So a half size radiator is fine, good

time to check it!

thanks DL001

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Quote Originally Posted by fromdeeeast View Post
    lol yes i I actually do use coolant, diluted it to 33%, just changed it yesterday.

I am going to take it out and actually see if there is a blockage in it.

So a half size radiator is fine, good

time to check it!

thanks DL001

thats the problem there you dilute your coolant lol

use oem honda

sounds like your rad is blocked from you using diluted coolant

Member Array
    Car:
    60-POV
    Check thermostat?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda EGK25A
    Radiator size is fine. People buy parts and dont kknow how to get the best out of each part which is the problem these days.

The issue with the halfsize is that you have a big gap next to the radiator and what happens when your driving along is that the air is bypassing the radiator and going through that big gap next to it. Think about it. Block that big gap next to the radiator and the air has no where to go but through the radiator. But then what can happen now is that the air will go over the top of the radiator. So thats where diversion plates come into the picture. Air is pushed back down and through the radiator. You are now using your radiator to its optimum potential.

Hope that helps.
    - MTA APPRENTICESHIP PLUS - SHIFT PERFORMANCE - +++++++

good point.

For example - standard honda cars that come with NO aircon ( breeze for example) actually come with a block off plate to divert more air to the radiator for maximum efficiency

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOWEGG View Post
    Check thermostat?
    considering getting this changed soon

I will look into getting some air diversion plates getting made just to block off the gap and top, this is really good advice.

Could water pump also spark this issue, if so how do I determine if it is not working?

And 90LAN can diluting it really cause this issue or you pulling my leg?? wtf

It said to dilute the concentrate and as far as I know your supposed to? WTF im tripped out now Did I do something stupid by replacing it or what
    Last edited by fromdeeeast; 11-01-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda EGK25A
    just do what i suggested, if that doesnt work then it was no harm in doing anyway. But to me coz you said you its worst when highway driving then i think that could be your issue, Also you have to realise it get really hot under your bonnet there especially when you force inducted as well. First thing to get rid of all that hot air trapped inside that engine bay. eg, slighty raising the bonnet ( closest to the windscreen end) to let the hot air escape. Even ducting the radiator by fabricating a shroud to direct the hot air elsewhere.All this will do keep your engine nice and cool.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda EGK25A
    Not only, all this can be done by you. So a very effective application both financially and the longevity on your car.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX & CRV
    have you had the radiator out and pressure tested for leaks/blockage??

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    pulled it out earlier tonight and taking it tomorrow to get cleaned/looked at

FLICK, I will take everything you said into consideration, I will definitely look at making some shrouds and diversion panels for it.

Cheers