Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    How do I determine if its the gauge?

What could cause the gauge to only go haywire on the highway and not around town?

Member Array
    Car:
    90 civic lol
    its about half way down page 5. or if u know anyone that has a spare water temp gauge and sensor.

It might be that its shorting from the wind or something else.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    I've been doing some research, reading asking a few mechanics and I have gained some actually good, convincing advice and ideas on what it could be.

Lower radiator hose collapsing from highway speeds b/c of load on engine?

Blocked exhaust from car being parked too long, car was parked for 2-3 months while working on it.

So got a new set of hoses on its way and getting exhaust checked this week sometime, and an air diversion plate.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Have you checked the gauge/sender unit yet? You may as well, to rule them out as the issue. It's also free to check them and would take about 5 minutes

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    have u changed the thermostate, in most cases its the cause of all engines to suddenly overheat...

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    have u changed the thermostate, in most cases its the cause of all engines to suddenly overheat...
    I just changed it 2 days ago, made no difference. Car still overheats when I'm on h'way

Are you losing coolant?

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    nope, not that I can see

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Quote Originally Posted by fromdeeeast View Post
    I just changed it 2 days ago, made no difference. Car still overheats when I'm on h'way
    possible blown head gasket that is leaking into the cylinder???

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Ok, update

Car was less prone to overheating after I changed coolant again and flushed and released all the air. Didn't overheat all!!!

However thermo fan was broken so install the new one and see how it goes, I think the thermostat was stuffed

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    LAST UPDATE

This is an important note to all

READ THE F&@#!N INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING

I had to learn this the hard way. 3 weeks and endless of hours searching and asking and $350 later.....I learnt

It was something very, very stupid on my behalf.

On my first experience where it overheated I had a broken thermo fan so I bought one from supercheap and installed it and this was the start of my highway overheating issues.

Turns out I installed the thermo fan the wrong way, as in the fan was spinning in the wrong direction causing air to move from HOT engine bay to the outside of radiator to environment, which in turn when driving on highway would cause a neutral airflow resulting in the car overheating.

I read this today after being pissed off, fed up I decided to use the search feature for the 13th time and search overheating issues. I came across FastFwd post in a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FastFwd View Post
    I had the same issue a couple years back but i found out what it was shortly after. I was doing work on installing a new radiator and i wired up the fan the wrong way so it spun in the opposite direction so when there was enough wind force the fan and the wind would cancel each other out but it would only happen on highways/freeways when doing 90-100. I doubt your having the same problem but i thought i would put in my two cents. Outerwise get your garden hose and undo the top radiator tube and just give it a good flush for 5 mins and if you've already had a service on it two years ago then get a new thermostat.

Otherwise dude your welcome to borrow my stock radiator to try and resolve the problem. Your in perth hey.
    So the light bulb upstairs switched on and I ran and grabbed the box for the fan and read the instructions. "To change the fans direction change the polarity of the connection" so I initially had it pos-pos and neg-neg as in any electrical connection, I changed it to pos-neg and neg-pos and VWALLAH

No more overheating, I had initially made the same mistake as FastFwd in his post.

So after a new radiator, thermostat, thermo fan and hose kit the issue is fixed because of my stupidity.

Search feature.....best use of ozhonda!

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    lol good work
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS