Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude

Question Can you lose power if you pod is too close to the engine?

Hey guys i was just reading other posts about a power loss if your pod is too close the engine. Roughly how much power do you lose if it sucks in hot air from the engine?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    M3 F80 RC1 MY16
    pod will actually lose power for street use

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    for one your car will lag on accelaration, and its a 40 degree day... expect worse. Get a panal filter that fits into the stock box u'd prob get the same gain without the problem of suckin hot air in. Oh one more thing pods are defect.

Member Array
    Car:
    1988 Prelude
    Okay, what if i extend the pipework to the front of the engine bay or even to the front bar? is it worth it or should i just put the stock air box back in? Which will gain better performance?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B20A Turbo prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by spiller
    Hey guys i was just reading other posts about a power loss if your pod is too close the engine. Roughly how much power do you lose if it sucks in hot air from the engine?

Cheers
    U want to suck colder air as it is denser. As for how much power u would lose ? For every 4 degrees u lower the air intake temp it is approx (very approx) a 1% power increase at the fly ....... so ........ if it is 40 outside and u r sucking engine bay air of 80 u r down approx (very approx) 10% in power.

Hope this helps a little.

FastAz

Moderator Array
    Car:
    BB2
    pods - you'll enjoy induction noise, but when at operating temperature, say hello to heat soak! ie not good.

extension - yes it will "induct" cold air, but the length of the piping complementing the stock intake tube may also create a laggy throttle response. Some CAI manufacturers will go at lengths to research a tuned length/diameter intake of varying designs to combat this, and some quite well too.

-az

Member Array
    Car:
    97 h22a-t
    the weather makes my car laggy!
    it dont matter if its pod stock k and N hks if its hot
    its slow

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    turn the aircon off
    that makes the car lags even worse

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    93 PRELUDE
    yea i wouldnt suggest a pod for a 3rd gen lude, i put one expecting increase and cause it looked and sounded nice; there is just no where in the bay to place the pod where it can suck cold air. moving the battery is the only the place for colder air, but it will lag. its amazing the power difference on cold days as opposed to hot days!

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000, Jazz, Civic
    The boss of Spoon Honda suggest for road use we should just use a panel filter.
    I have a cold air pipe going into my stock box. Keeps my engine noise down.

Disabled Array
    Car:
    FS:DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by redliner
    Oh one more thing pods are defect.
    Technically no. Pods sitting by it self is a defect. If you have a proper heat shield for the pod filter then no it is not a defect. You can get head shields for them basically any where. As for me i wouldnt pay for a heat sheild. I got custom one made up.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Type S
    yeah how many peaple actually puts a heat shield on coz its just not worth the trouble... another word is ur jus boxing in the pod... thats like panel filter already

hmmmmmz i didnt know they were legal once u put a heat shield on...
    coz i was reading on some other forum tha mentioned about diff state has diff laws, so it doesnt mean coz u have heat shield its defect proof?