Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2

Someone Scratched my Bonnet and Boot

someone used a key or something and put two long scratches over the left side of my bonnet and also made several scatches on top of my boot...

Does anybody have any idea how much it costs to fix scratches of this sort?? cuz this has never happened before and im so pissed atm cuz ive only had the car for 2 months...

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by billy118; 12-01-2010 at 02:36 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Depends how bad they are and how you fix it..

Give us details or pics...

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    Effin' vandals. I hate 'em. I feel for ya man.

The clear coat will turn white at the edges where it was stressed by the scratch, you may be really lucky and it turns out to look worse than it is. But unfortunately with vandals, they almost invariably do enough damage that it is through to metal and requires respray.

Do the fingernail check. If your fingernail catches in the scratch, it's deep and it's likely to have penetrated too deep into the clear coat to be polished out, or worst case has gone all the way through. If the scratches are not deep, they may be able to get them out with wetsanding and polish.

If the scratches are too deep, you're looking at having to have both the bootlid and the whole bonnet resprayed. Since the paint is 2-stage paint, they can't just spot repair the areas of the scratch, they have to do the whole panel.

Get a few quotes from a couple of panel shops, but guaranteed it's going to be around the $1000 mark for the repair, so it will be an insurance job.

- HZ
    Last edited by HunterZero; 12-01-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2
    The two scratches on top my bonnet are about 15cm and 25cm long roughly in a curved shape, and the one on my boot looks like someone just used their key or something and went around in circles in a single area of roughly about 8cm or so in diameter. My cars black and it's obvious that the paint has come off although it doesn't seem like it has gone all the way through to the metal but i can see white...

My fingernails don't get caught in the scratch but i can clearly feel the unevenness if that makes any sense...

I'll try get some pics up later as im going to get a few quotes first. Thanks for the advice hunter.
    Last edited by billy118; 12-01-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    E92 M3
    there are products which you can purchase at your local autobarn or supercheap stores.

one product that comes to mind is scratch X

Keep ScratchX® 2.0 close at hand for quick removal of isolated paint scratches or blemishes … whenever they occur. Competitive products either hide the blemish or scratch the finish. Meguiar’s® exclusive micro-abrasive system enables ScratchX 2.0 to remove paint blemishes fast while restoring brilliant high gloss. The new and improved formula can be applied by hand or with a DA.
    http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307

You might be lucky, it could look worse than it is, i had a scratch on my bonnet, was deep can feel it with my finger nails, just used polish and it went away, but you can faintly see the the scratch but its just a thin line now.

goodluck.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    ScratchX won't do much. If your nail doesn't catch on it, then get a professional detailer to do a machine medium cut to reduce the visual appearance of the scratch. But if your nail does catch, then you will need a respray.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2
    Just got back from the panel shop and the guy bascially said it needs to be resprayed because it's gone through the clear coat. got quoted roughly around 500.

If i run my nail over the affected area i can clearly feel the scratches so yea...

I'll probably just use a black permanent marker to cover the affected areas for now...

Thanks for the help guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    08' Euro CU2
    if your car is black or white in color you might be able to get a detailer to repair it for you.
    they will fill in the crack/valley with touch up paint (get from dealers)....
    then once that is dried they can machine polish it to smooth it out with the surface, why not give that a go, will definately be much cheaper then getting a respray. and cause its black in colour or white it should blend nicely.

Member Array
    Car:
    I'd get a 2nd opinion from a detailer, and see if it will be possible to wetsand and buff it out. Don't try this yourself! Get a pro to do it.

ScratchX isn't going to do much, but may dull the whiteness of the edges of the scratch by knocking the high point off. Those kind of scratches need a machine buffer to get out.

Where are you located? If you're in Sydney, try Prestige Auto Salon in Rydalmere, they are very good with this sort of damage.

- HZ

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_pc View Post
    if your car is black or white in color you might be able to get a detailer to repair it for you.
    they will fill in the crack/valley with touch up paint (get from dealers)....
    then once that is dried they can machine polish it to smooth it out with the surface, why not give that a go, will definately be much cheaper then getting a respray. and cause its black in colour or white it should blend nicely.
    This works OK on single stage paint, but the Honda CU2 crystal black is pearlescent 2-stage paint with clear coat. I don't think this approach on black paint will give you an acceptable result, even if you do a more complex brush touch with black and then clear paint, but it depends how fussy you are, and how good the person is who does the brush touch. You would still notice the scratches.

- HZ

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2
    Here's a few pics of the scratches on the bonnet and on the top of the boot lid...

Bonnet

Top of Boot Lid

Yea im in Sydney. I'll probably go to prestige auto salon tomorrow and get them to have a look at it too. Might also go to a few other panel shops and see what they think.
    Last edited by billy118; 12-01-2010 at 06:41 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY06 manual honda euro
    one time so douche baggg freaken badges some mazda badge and super glued it onto my bonnet...when i tried to remove it, it took away the paint....was pissed and panel shop quoted my lik 700 to repaint the whole bonnet...this is in melbourne