Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Various...
    Tried a mates one, pretty slick. Would never consider buying one though considering CB900's can be had for the same or less...

Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    Tried a mates one, pretty slick. Would never consider buying one though considering CB900's can be had for the same or less...
    You are missing the point - the CB400 is LAMS approved - If you were restricted during Ls and Ps i would strongly consider one. Then once you get your fulls get anything....a CB900 included lol

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX/DC2R/1kRR

I loved my CB as a learner bike. I bought another black Honda to replace it, too

Member Array
    Car:
    EG.RIP.CBR250RR
    Oh man, you need to get yourself an aftermarket exhaust for the new baby!
    Such a lovely machine though.
    If you like it, rep it.

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX/DC2R/1kRR
    I like it quiet and stealth though, haha. Got a few other projects on the go right now so can't justify the spend on the exhaust I want, akrapovic...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG.RIP.CBR250RR
    All other projects can wait when there is a bike involved
    If you like it, rep it.

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX/DC2R/1kRR
    The other project is even more exciting! :-)

Member Array
    Car:
    Various...
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    You are missing the point - the CB400 is LAMS approved - If you were restricted during Ls and Ps i would strongly consider one. Then once you get your fulls get anything....a CB900 included lol
    Sorry let me rephrase - I could never justify buying a CB400 whether or not i was on my p's for the simple fact that you can buy so much more bike for the same money (regardless of whether or not i was allowed to ride it!). That's why i bought a cheap Honda Spada when i was on my P's. Also I don't think it is necessary to spend much on a LAMS bike, given the higher chance of damaging it due to inexperience.

Very sexy bike though.. and freakygeek, i remember looking at your CB400 add when it was for sale :P

Member Array
    Car:
    NSX/DC2R/1kRR
    Quote Originally Posted by SAKI View Post
    Sorry let me rephrase - I could never justify buying a CB400 whether or not i was on my p's for the simple fact that you can buy so much more bike for the same money (regardless of whether or not i was allowed to ride it!). That's why i bought a cheap Honda Spada when i was on my P's. Also I don't think it is necessary to spend much on a LAMS bike, given the higher chance of damaging it due to inexperience.

Very sexy bike though.. and freakygeek, i remember looking at your CB400 add when it was for sale :P
    Cheers I sold it to a learner rider girl in Sydney, she loves it!

I think the reason it suited me as a LAMS bike was that I left my motorcycle learning till late compared to many - I was 26 getting my Ls. So the pricing ($9750 on road) at the time didn't bother me because I felt that it represented excellent value compared to say, a GS500F. By comparison the Honda was so far in front in so many areas I didn't even consider the air cooled, carby, inline twin rubbish that is the GS500. The Honda had proper brakes, twin disc with good calipers, too.

I do agree that the CB400 is probably out of reach of many younger learner riders, but I think it fills a gap in the market that needed filling.

Also, i only lost about $2200 in resale in three years and 9500km of ownership.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG.RIP.CBR250RR
    An average-good condition mid 2000's CB400 will set you back 5.5-6.5k.
    Pretty well priced when you compare it to other LAMS bikes imo.
    I personally wouldn't spend the 6k for the (back then new) Ninja 250, or the 7k Ninja 300, but would happily pay the 6k for a CB400.
    The CB is on another level when you compare it to the other newer bikes.
    If you like it, rep it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Various...
    Yeah they hold their value amazingly well. And please don't anyone think i'm telling people not to buy a CB400 - i'm simply sharing my own opinion, if you want one buy one. I was very happy with my Spada and when i sold it after nearly two years i made all my money back. I too got my L's when i was 26 btw

Member Array
    Car:
    EG.RIP.CBR250RR
    I hear so many good things about the Spada. I saw one for sale that was a cafe racer project.
    Oh how I wish I could win the lotto.
    If you like it, rep it.