Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EVO

rear mounted turbos

hey guys,

As thread states. has anyone every seen or heard of these STS turbos. Iv searched the forum and there was a bit of dicussion here and also looked at other forums. It seems like people tend to talk about the lagg on these systems but from what the designers say that there is minimal lag.

http://www.ststurbo.com/

Reason i asked if that im thinking of doing this setup on my car. It would be a nice sleeper

Has there been any hondas that have used this setup??

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    that looks cool, would love to see more info on the system
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EH9 Si Civic
    Wait, so the intake path is the ENTIRE length of the car (major lag?) and the intake it's self is at the back of the car? I think having the intake itself at the front of the car would bring much colder air..
    Seems dodgy much like those electric eBay superchargers..

Each to their own

I dont know much about the setup but,
    I dont see the purpose of mounting a turbo to the rear.
    There was a discussion in regards to this i think a year ago.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EH9 Si Civic
    I would imagine the most exhaust pressure would be at the manifold (where turbo's belong) rather than at the end of the exhaust..

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic 97
    your lossing all the heat energy and exhasust gas speed, i have heard of these systems but i really cant see it being good if you want to run a turbo car set it up like a turbo car it would be a waste of money putting this on your car.
    WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRONT BAR WITH YOUR FRONT MOUNT

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EVO
    hrmmm on youtube the guy from STS explains it and the concept of having it at the back or down stream. I personally dont think that there will be that much lag as the air coming from the compressor is already cool and it will be full of pressurised air ready for the next throttle. but thats just me thinking though.

How i c it is somewhere on the system there is a turbo. either up or down stream. Its still producing the same amount of pressure, boost, and so on. As for the piping, if the pipe diameter is not too big then it may possibly boost very well (thats being the diameter of the exhaust and compressor side going back into the throttle) but i may be wrong.

If the turbo is at the front of the car it is exposed to large amounts of heat due to the exhaust gases coming out directly from the manifold thus ur oiling system must always be in good nick to maintain lub for the bearings. But i can also c the benefits for having it at the back as the turbo itself is being cooled down quicker then under the hood therefore it should run more efficient.

At this moment im keeping an open mind about the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforboost View Post
    your lossing all the heat energy and exhasust gas speed, i have heard of these systems but i really cant see it being good if you want to run a turbo car set it up like a turbo car it would be a waste of money putting this on your car.
    Hrmm im not sure if u are losing any speed as the exhaust exists the back still at the same speed as the front bcoz its from a closed system unless u have a leak somewhere then u will lose exhaust speed. As for heat energy, its using the exhaust gases to spin the turbo. So shouldnt a turbo system be very cool meaning more power as the air is dense and it will run effeicently so i think heat is it number one enermy. Correct me if im wrong please.
    Last edited by jimsta; 20-01-2010 at 09:58 PM.

dude. Pressurised (thru a turbine) air gets HOT. Hence the need for a intercooler on a turbo'd engine under higher boost levels.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    waste of time and money ...

A. pressurised air gets hot anyway - its going to be hot no matter where u put it
    B. your just creating more piping + complication to deal with
    C. the further the intake/intercooler/turbo is from the motor the more lag you will get
    D. the front page has a commodore on it ... gay
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EVO
    I see your point.

But im looking for people who have either seen it with there own eyes or have done it. To actually get a real review of how it realli performs.

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    on a corvette anyhow...

WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

> from what the designers say that there is minimal lag

Of course they do.

This is a large american V8.
    A cam, intake & headers will make a huge improvement on these machines.

Add a very low boost turbo 6-8psi and things are great.

On our little rev happy motors, it takes a lot more boost and perhaps better (for D16s anyway) gearing to make big differences.

besides look at those oil lines. I call show pony.

Nick.
    Last edited by nd55; 21-01-2010 at 05:09 PM.