Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My CD5 VTI

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury

My CD5 VTI

Okay this thread is kind of like a list of things to do to my car to keep me motivated and have a single point of reference as I'm going. I've meant to start it for a while but haven't got around to it. I'll also upload pics of what I need to change/fix and edit them in when I get to it. If you have any helpful comments about something then feel free to quote it and let me know, I appreciate it.

Things that need fixing:
    • Drivers inside door handle comes out sometimes, need to hold in place to open door.
    • Front passenger door does not activate internal lights when open.
    • Boot gas struts feel like dead weights, I think they can be re-gassed?
    • Drivers chair right-side support needs to be re-padded, someone must have sat on it a lot or taken a lot of hard left corners, or likely just worn from hopping in and out all the time.
    • Right rear passenger seat has single small hole, must be from cigarette burn. Can something like this easily be patched up?
    • Scratch marks on front windscreen following wipers line, not sure if repairable or needs replacing but it does annoy me.
    • Needs a better steering wheel, the current one has scratches all around it and doesn't feel strong at all. Not sure if there's a better one out there that also can take the airbag, or possibly get the whole thing stitched in leather?

Mechanical:
    • Research into performance air filters and also mild sports exhaust, was quoted $250 for mild sports exhaust from cat back from a custom exhaust shop down the road from where I work
    • Definitely needs improved suspension. Currently checking out TEIN SS, BC Racing, Megan Racing, coilovers, also researching into front and rear sway bars, also subframe strengthening? Interested in all this.

Aesthetics:
    • Quote from Smash Repairs company to fix up the last little bit at the front after the crash around $400-$500. Specifically the headlights and front grill don't look 100% in place. And bonnet does not quite shut properly. And also need a Honda badge for the bonnet, dealer quoted me $54 which I thought was a bit steep...
    • Plenty of small carpark dings down both sides. Not sure if I can really be bothered going this far with the car. If I did, it would likely be a complete strip back to bare metal, straighten, fresh paint etc...
    • Windows need tinting, driver's window is actually scratched from going up and down. Most likely need to pull the door apart, pull apart and clean the electric window mechanism, check guides etc. Then test and replace window once all good.
    • Boot spoiler, I actually think it would look better without it, either remove and fill up/smooth/paint or find another white boot and swap? Anyone know of a spoiler delete kit so I can just pop some bungs in instead?
    • Small ding in silver window surround on rear passenger window.
    • Black rubber surrounding window frame is coming out and pokes out, always attacks my foam sponge and chamois every time I wash the car (I'm learning to go around it). I eventually spat the dummy at it and pulled it out, ripping the rubber. It needed replacing anyway. Need to find rubber seals kit for it. At least it doesn't poke it now. Not noticeable unless you are really looking for it.
    • Internal instruments cluster (right-half of tacho) and both air con dials, lights don't come on when parkers or headlights are on so can't see at night properly.
    • Also the handbrake release button has some silver chrome-looking stuff over it, most has come off and looks pretty average, would like to have it re-done if possible.
    • Want some decent floor mats and a dash mat. Dash mat especially because the sun really glares off the dash and so does the heat. Mat in our other car seems to soak up both and make it a lot nicer inside when driving.

Things I have done so far:
    • New radiator, condenser, bonnet etc... after the crash.
    • Have installed Sony Xplod CD player.
    • Always filled up with BP Ultimate.
    • New tyres about 5000km ago, rotate, balance, alignment, and filled with nitrogen.
    • Plenty of sudsy washes and chamois, including rims and blacken tyres.
    • Full Stop Brakes @ Burleigh, full brake service. 4 new Bendix pads, all 4 disc rotors machined, new brake fluid. After bedding them in, this thing stops pretty damn hard! That was a while ago... will need another brake service coming up in the next few months.
    • Replaced timing belt and seals, changed gearbox oil with genuine Honda stuff, also oil and filter change
    • Pulled windscreen wipers off, quick sand and paint in black. I'm not too good at this stuff so it's not a great job, but it still looks a lot better - just don't look at it too close! I'll have to re-do it sometime once I get some more paint practice in.

Cheers, any tips or comments are welcome but not expecting this thread to go overboard. Probably not interested in a H22A swap any more, would be nice but budget is always a factor. I might just slowly do a few mods to the mighty F22B1 to help it breathe a bit nicer, I think that will make quite a difference over what it is currently. One thing I really would like to improve is bottom-end pickup, like when I take off in 1st gear up a slight hill, you really gotta give it some stick or it bogs down pretty good until revs get up again. Have driven another stock VTI and it was the same, just to be sure.

Troy
    Last edited by Troy; 28-02-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Update to where it's at

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    I've done a bit of editing to reflect the changes that I've done.
    Last edited by Troy; 09-04-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Okay with all this rain we've been having, turns out I'm getting quite a bit of water in the car (I know, I'm looking for a place with a bigger garage).

The driver's footwell is just soaked, in fact there was about an inch of water in there this afternoon when I moved it. I had a quick look and am thoroughly confused. The water is staying in there so it's not draining out anywhere, so no holes underneath - plus this happens when it's not moving. After looking around the area, I cannot see anything else wet at all. No signs of water running down to the area, nothing that looks like it drips into the footwell, nothing. It's like someone's grabbed a bucket of water and tipped it in...

Once the rain stops and I've got it all dried up, any ideas where to look?

Member Array
    Car:
    LEXUS GS300
    cool story bro.
    3TripleZero

USDMyo

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Keep it to the lounge man.

Member Array
    Car:
    LEXUS GS300
    picz??
    3TripleZero

USDMyo

Member Array
    Car:
    96 CD5
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Cheers, any tips or comments are welcome but not expecting this thread to go overboard. Also if anyone has info about engines or where I can look, I have a 2.2L VTEC and I found online it puts out 107kW, apparently a H22A puts out 149kW and is a drop in swap? Anyone know about this cause it sounds interesting and I have done some research but obviously not enough yet.
    Correct it is a straight swap.

Multiple have done the swap and multiple still are doing the swap.
    OzAccord <-- Being rebuilt, but come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    hey troy what year is ur car.

cuz heres a simota air filter

good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceMeister View Post
    picz??
    Yeah they are coming eventually, been really busy lately so this hasn't been a priority right now. There are some pics in my intro thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tmy View Post
    Correct it is a straight swap.

Multiple have done the swap and multiple still are doing the swap.
    Thanks for that, will have to start saving.

Quote Originally Posted by ekcoupe View Post
    hey troy what year is ur car.

cuz heres a simota air filter

good luck
    Thanks mate, if I win it for the lowest bid possible it comes to $105 delivered, what are these things worth?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    simota air intake is usually worth $150

i got mine for $90 i was bidding.

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Ah man it looks sweet but I really don't have the funds for it right now. I just need to focus on saving and putting away money at the moment, hitting that stage again.

I guess my biggest priority should be to clean up the silver EXi and sell it as that's money owing to me right there. The longer I leave it the less rego too...

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Did a big service yesterday, engine oil and filter, also gearbox oil. Running nicely, but still gotta get around to taking those pics!