Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CL9 Buying check guide "Help Wanted"

Hey guys and girls just wanted some pointer's with CL9 anything i should be looking for with their common faults if they have any or what they are as looking at buying one this weekend its fully standard.
    I dont need any help with basic checks as ive worked on alot of cars in my time, but the owners on here could list the faults or any problems they have i can check before i hand over my hard earned cash

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro CL9 2003
    1. Check the brakes/ rotor condition. See if they squeal when you brake at moderate speeds. Def do a few hard brakes.

2. Check all lights are working (including back license plate ones). All brake lights, windows, side mirrors, tail lights, indicators, high beam, interior lights, CD player, aircon, Both Honda keys to lock/unlock/open boot etc...

3. Tyre wear (tyres are expensive especially as you go up in size)

4. Check the engine oil colour (make sure its not black)

5. Check exhaust muffler tip to ensure its in tact.

6. Look for any paint jobs (could've been from accident)

7. Look out for any steering issues (try roads flat and curved) This is a MUST

8. Make sure all doors open/close properly

9. Ask for when the last car was serviced (logbook is highly preferred)

10. Check all fluid levels topped up date (coolant/engine oil and filter (last replacement)/steering/ clutch if MT)

11. Check for any missing bolts near the tyre to see if the bumper had been removed for a bumper replacement due to an accident or whatever

12. Look closely for dings and little scratches

13. Listen to the motor run and give it a few good revs to listen to the sound

14. Drive sharp corners at moderate speeds if tyres are decent and at a speed the owner wont be shitting their pants

15. Make sure no lights come on after you have started your car (ie. VSA or any of the warning lights on the dash)

17. The VIN number is on the top right hand side so thats a must check

18. Ensure you can drive it in manual mode by shifting the "D" to manual and test out Vtec at 5500-6000RPM woooo. Oh and that idle RPM is at around 800-900 RPM on Neutral / Park

19. Good luck and don't expect the first one to be the one you buy. I would give a few euros a look before buying and you'll be able to compare the way that the car handles. My gf has an 06 Euro whilst I have an 03 Euro. They're both CL9s except her car feels a lot heavier and "euro-like". But it just comes to personal preference I guess.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY05 WRX WRP10
    Quote Originally Posted by djpro1 View Post
    1. Check the brakes/ rotor condition. See if they squeal when you brake at moderate speeds. Def do a few hard brakes.

2. Check all lights are working (including back license plate ones). All brake lights, windows, side mirrors, tail lights, indicators, high beam, interior lights, CD player, aircon, Both Honda keys to lock/unlock/open boot etc...

3. Tyre wear (tyres are expensive especially as you go up in size)

4. Check the engine oil colour (make sure its not black)

5. Check exhaust muffler tip to ensure its in tact.

6. Look for any paint jobs (could've been from accident)

7. Look out for any steering issues (try roads flat and curved) This is a MUST

8. Make sure all doors open/close properly

9. Ask for when the last car was serviced (logbook is highly preferred)

10. Check all fluid levels topped up date (coolant/engine oil and filter (last replacement)/steering/ clutch if MT)

11. Check for any missing bolts near the tyre to see if the bumper had been removed for a bumper replacement due to an accident or whatever

12. Look closely for dings and little scratches

13. Listen to the motor run and give it a few good revs to listen to the sound

14. Drive sharp corners at moderate speeds if tyres are decent and at a speed the owner wont be shitting their pants

15. Make sure no lights come on after you have started your car (ie. VSA or any of the warning lights on the dash)

17. The VIN number is on the top right hand side so thats a must check

18. Ensure you can drive it in manual mode by shifting the "D" to manual and test out Vtec at 5500-6000RPM woooo. Oh and that idle RPM is at around 800-900 RPM on Neutral / Park

19. Good luck and don't expect the first one to be the one you buy. I would give a few euros a look before buying and you'll be able to compare the way that the car handles. My gf has an 06 Euro whilst I have an 03 Euro. They're both CL9s except her car feels a lot heavier and "euro-like". But it just comes to personal preference I guess.
    +1 to those tips ,

20. Make sure all the doors lock and unlock with the remote!! door lock actuators are a common thing to fail.

21. If some euros feel more sluggish when u drive them than others it would mostly just be because of the owners driving style so don't let it throw u off, just drive then hard for a week and they really open up, from person experience anyway :P

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    +1. Plus while a full logbook is nice, at the very least you want to see the full service history with receipts. Hondas don't like skipped services.

Check inside door jambs, under window rubbers and inside boot/bonnet edges for signs of respray. You can often see where the painter has tried to 'hide' the edges of a respray.

And very important to check all electrics and aircon are working as they should, as they are expensive to fix.

And...

22. Check for clunking or creaking in the suspension and CV joints. Try taking the car over undulating ground at lower speed.

23. Make sure ALL major service items have been completed, if the car has higher kms.

24. Make sure you check any suspicious mods aren't going to make the car fail roadworthiness, eg lowering, coilovers, sway bars, CAI etc, and ideally the car should come with the original parts so it can be reverted to stock, eg body kit. Some people onsell these parts, eg wheels. And it makes it harder to onsell a car if it has an aftermarket body kit on it.

25. Check for underbody scrapes/damage.

26. Clutch take-up should be easy in manual, and gear shift nice and clicky, all gears easy to engage with no whining. In an auto, changes and downshifts on power should be smooth, with no shuddering.

- HZ

27. Check for creaking clutch in a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by power_of_dreams View Post
    27. Check for creaking clutch in a manual.
    Lol, if you find it, make it seem like such a big issue for a price reduction.... Then buy a $10 can of silicone lube and it wont bother you for like 3-5 months at a time.

Thanks for the points wasnt after the general points mainly like the windows and locks seem to be the only problems that they have ive driven alot of honda from brandnew 09 accord to 1972 honda civic.
    im already one set of myself getting rims lined up b4 ive even brought the car but should be all sweet

28. THIS IS IMPORTANT.... make sure all the lights on the dash lights, up, the check engine, air bag, etc when you start and goes off after a few seconsd. Also make sure the lights on the center console is working, the air cond dial, buttons, etc... as its expensive to replace that console.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Better yet..ask one of the many helpful euro owners on this forum to help you once you think you have found a good one. Just gotta find someone willing to help

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    With all the Euro's popping up (including mine) I'm sure they'll be help you buy theirs.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oongie View Post
    With all the Euro's popping up (including mine) I'm sure they'll be help you buy theirs.
    LOL
    so what car you going to change to??

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R
    prolly looking at a MX5 again.
    the NA6 with the pop up lights.
    and do that up old school starting with fat watanabes!@