Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    OK cool... well i'd be weary about spending a whole lot of money replacing or rebuilding your engine unless you are 100% certain on exactly what is damaged. If you car isnt blowing smoke, running erratically or exhibiting anything unusual to the oil leak problem you describe then i would even spend time thinking about how to fix a problem, because it appears you dont have one my friend!

enjoy driving your car and ensure you keep the maintenance up and you will be fine
    This one...
    If it ain't broke, dont fix it.
    Keep an eye on the oil level at the dipstick, listen out for any pinging or rattling noises from the engine.

What did you take it to the mechanics for originally???
    Must have been something for the mech to have the sump off to be looking at the oil pickup (thats what you described before).

My g/f sister brought her car to me because she said it was "loud in her engine".
    It was her tappets starving of oil as no oil was getting up there.

It appeared to be the first oil change in an extremely loooong time, it was sludge, not oil. Less than 1lt came out. This is on a hyundai, 2 years ago, new filter and some oil and that thing's still running.

Keep it maintaned and i think it will be fine without knowing the full story.

To the people saying to sell broken cars to others in an attempt to rip people off

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S
    ^^^ agree with above. spot on mate.

hondas tend to live a long life and thats with the abuse they get.

Member Array
    Car:
    96 civic coupe vti
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1985 View Post

To the people saying to sell broken cars to others in an attempt to rip people off
    +1 what goes around comes around

I think the OP is scared by the fact that the engine may have been oil starved meaning there was potential grinding of metal on metal. Hell who wouldn't be?

Best thing to do, get a compression test done to see if anything is actually wrong. If it's all good, thank god you don't have to rebuild and make sure you service it regularly with high quality fluids. If it's sh*t, then I guess your up a creek without a paddle. In saying that though, there's plenty of options if the engine is no good. You can either rebuild with high-comp internals OR just buy a Euro k24 bottom end and match it to your existing motor.

Either way, you've got options.