Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi

Time for a new exhaust, any reccommendations for a b18a1?

Hey guys
    so apparently my front muffler is cracked and Midas quoted me 650 just for that part..
    Surely I could get a whole new system for around 800-1k couldnt I? (Could anybody reccommend me a cheap and professional place in sydney for a new system pretty plzzz )

So ..

- what are your reccommendations for a new exhaust, I dont care about brands I just want a nice stainless steel exhaust with a 3'' tip (no cannon)... how much am I looking at roughly

- and what diametre is reccommended for a 1.8l B series, 2''.. 2.25'' ??

thankyou kindly for your help in advanced

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    are you planning on working on your car>? or like going to sell it.... i dont see the need for a full expensive jdm exhaust unless your planning something later down the track, as B18A1 non-vtec isnt really worth large sums of money on.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Nah, going to sell it in the next year or 2.. its got a system on it now just sounds too ricey I want a soft purring sort of sound but sounds good in the top end..

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    are you planning on working on your car>? or like going to sell it.... i dont see the need for a full expensive jdm exhaust unless your planning something later down the track, as B18A1 non-vtec isnt really worth large sums of money on.
    Nah, going to sell it within 1-2 years, but I still want to enjoy it in that time.. it has a system on it now but sounds too droney and ricey(not a cannon though) but I want something with a soft purring noise but sounds good in the top end

any recommendations? p.s I keep seeing ur car around lol

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    i suggest get a xforce twinloop catback

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    i suggest do not get an xforce twinloop because i had one and it died with in 3 months, shoots fibreglass

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Definately get one custom made, max 2.25" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust with a nice muffler (usually magnaflow or something).

Good places to go in Sydney are:
    Westside Mufflers in Padstow
    Performance Exhaust in Northmead

Full custom 2" or 2.25" stainless steel mandrel bent catback + 1 resonator + muffler should be roughly $6-800 for good quality workmanship.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    SS Mandel bent? LOL!

I guarantee he won't notice a difference between press bent $300 system and a $1000 mandel bent stainless steel system.

To the OP, since you're selling the car in a few years, take it to your local exhaust shop, have them change what needs replacing with a new muffler and a tip (this will give you that "purr" you want but tell them you want this) and get it mild steel press bent.

If anyone wants to argue performance gains for a STOCK B18A, be my guest.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    You should try a lukey muffler.

Its got some grunt when you accelerate and it doesn't "fart". Its not loud but not quiet

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Ok thanks for the tips guys

sort of confused what means what though.. i have NFI about exhausts

to Chr1s... are you talking about $300 for a full system from the engine back.. id rather do that than pay 800 bucks for a stainless steel 'mandrel bent' system...

So what am I exactly asking for at the exhaust shop when I go on the weekend.. a new front muffler 2 replace old one and then just a new rear muffler.. lukey or something? steel press bent to keep the costs down right? my budget is 400 max as yeah I dont want to be spending much as Im going to sell it in a year...

Thanks guys, sorry about the n00b questions

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Firstly, do this.

Look up yellow pages for exhaust shops in your area ie - carline, budget mufflers, tonys exhaust, georges exhaust, whatever. (they are examples mind you lol)

Ask them how much am I looking at for a catback in 2" pressbent mild steel with a muffler and a tip to give me a nice sound?

Write all the quotes down, then go see the select few, have them double check the quote before you proceed.

If you sound like you know what you want, there is less chance they will rip you a new asshole.

It should be less than $500. If it's more, I'd go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chriskoss View Post
    Ok thanks for the tips guys

sort of confused what means what though.. i have NFI about exhausts

to Chr1s... are you talking about $300 for a full system from the engine back.. id rather do that than pay 800 bucks for a stainless steel 'mandrel bent' system...

So what am I exactly asking for at the exhaust shop when I go on the weekend.. a new front muffler 2 replace old one and then just a new rear muffler.. lukey or something? steel press bent to keep the costs down right? my budget is 400 max as yeah I dont want to be spending much as Im going to sell it in a year...

Thanks guys, sorry about the n00b questions

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    Thanks chr1s, helps a bunch, i will do that rather than rocking up to the places and asking in person.. prob save some time..

thanks mate