Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE

Alex's 1998 DC2 'Build'

Hey Guys,

I'm getting desperate at the lack of Vti-R's up here in Qld!

Just this afternoon I went and had a look at a Vti-R... This one:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...No=0&seot=1&ts
    c=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=43&__sid=120805E286ED

Now. While the engine bay seemed in good order, I was absolutley shocked at the condition of the car, especially after reading 'paint is in showroom conditions' in the descripition. What are these people on? I could write a list 2 pages long of all the things that would need to be fixed just regarding the paint job alone.

I understand that these cars are 15-16 years old and I really dont expect perfection. But I just felt so let down seeing this

Now I've continued my search, and I've found this 94 model:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...01622&__Nne=15

Has anyone here been to look at this one? Would I be correct in saying that I shouldn't be looking at upwards of $9k flat for a stock(ish) `94 vti-r??

I'll try and get in contact with this guy and see what condition this one is in

Thanks in advance for all your help, I much appreciate it!

If anyone has/or knows of anyone selling a clean Vti-R in Queensland, please let me know
    Last edited by Vvvtec; 10-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    sup dude,

The red dc2 vtir, is the owner Ben by any chance? the car is mainly at his mates house and they can't speak english for shit. they fustrated me so much when they said 'the car is pefect'. that car is stuffed!

it seems it hasn't been serviced in a long time, and it's filthy.

But have a look at the 1994 model though, gun metal gray is so rare on vtir's and they mostly came on turbo.

good luck and keep searching hard

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2-PWR View Post
    sup dude,

The red dc2 vtir, is the owner Ben by any chance? the car is mainly at his mates house and they can't speak english for shit. they fustrated me so much when they said 'the car is pefect'. that car is stuffed!

it seems it hasn't been serviced in a long time, and it's filthy.

But have a look at the 1994 model though, gun metal gray is so rare on vtir's and they mostly came on turbo.

good luck and keep searching hard
    That's the one! It really is a shame, its deteriorated so badly since those pictures in the carsales ad were taken.... I took it for a drive around the block but I didnt take it over 3rd so I couldnt tell how the thing ran, but it did still feel nice. Then again it was bound to as it was my first time driving a B series, coming from my D series eg

As for the 94 one, I tried give the guy (his names Ben too) a call but the number's been disconnected so I dont have anyother way to get in contact with him.

Are there any other sources I could find one that you know of? Everything nice seems to be in VIC/NSW! I check up here and carsales everyday, but no go still...

Thanks again guys

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvvtec View Post
    That's the one! It really is a shame, its deteriorated so badly since those pictures in the carsales ad were taken.... I took it for a drive around the block but I didnt take it over 3rd so I couldnt tell how the thing ran, but it did still feel nice. Then again it was bound to as it was my first time driving a B series, coming from my D series eg

As for the 94 one, I tried give the guy (his names Ben too) a call but the number's been disconnected so I dont have anyother way to get in contact with him.

Are there any other sources I could find one that you know of? Everything nice seems to be in VIC/NSW! I check up here and carsales everyday, but no go still...

Thanks again guys
    Mmm, keep trying to get in contact with him and he should reply.

Search everywhere dude,
    Like, trading post, boostcrusing, clubitr, all sorts of forums. Boostcrusing is your best bet sometimes because most cars there come with all the goodies + the reliable price.

Just remember before you buy a car, take it to a workshop and get the RWC done by yourself. My mate bought a car and he saved $1,500, so instead of paying full price he paid $1,500 less to the dodgey guy.

There's not much in car buying, but you should know this game well
    Good luck again

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Thanks bro

I'll keep looking, thats for sure!

I dont know what the deal with this one is?

http://digiads.com.au/carsales/used-...E-QLD-4000.htm

$16k??

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    You'll get that around sometimes, what those people think is that "oh I'll drop it down from 16k to 10k just for you today" It's a sale technique,

13second VTIR P plate legal
    http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/...52&hl=Dc2+vtir

This looks hot
    http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/...79&hl=Dc2+vtir

Cheap
    http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/...54&hl=Dc2+vtir

Just remember before you buy a car, take it to a workshop and get the RWC done by yourself. My mate bought a car and he saved $1,500, so instead of paying full price he paid $1,500 less to the dodgey guy.
    Look out for this. You can win or you can loose.

The last time I did this on a car (a non-Honda) I lost. I got F*cked over once because I wanted to save a few $$$. Never again. In that situation, I went with a so-called mate to check out a car, and everything looked ok. In an attempt to save a few dollars, we bargained to buy the car off the seller and go settle the roadworthy stuff ourselves. After all, the car's registered, is a daily driver, looks ok, so what could be wrong right? As I found out.... plenty....

The very next day, I took the car to a mech's shop for its roadworthy certificate. Strike one: brake discs too thin. Fail. Strike two: The whole chassis front crossmember was MISSING and bits of the chassis showed poor welding. It was invisible from the top, and can only be seen if you hoist the car up and peep under the body work. Boy, I was so F*cked because the work to get the car roadworthy would end up costing more than the car itself. It had apparently been smashed and put back together is a rather dodgy fashion. No roadworthy certificate, car becomes illegal to drive in a month.

I called the seller, who was a woman, and told her, "hey look your car's not roadworthy. I can't get it registered. I can't buy it. I want my money back. Please."

She said, "why not? I bought it 5 years ago it was ok I never crashed it. I can't give you the money back. I've put it into a deposit for another car. My husband took the forms today morning and got this car taken off my name. It's yours now. Sorry. I can't help you."

F*CK. I was stuck with a very expensive LEMON. And I didn't have the money to deal with a LEMON.

In the end, the car was sold to a junkyard for close to peanuts. I lost 80% of the money I paid for it. Not. Happy. Jan.

In the end, I think either the woman who sold the car to me was conned herself and got it with a dodgy roadworthy cert when she bought it, or she knew about the problems with the car and just wanted to pass it on to an idiot. i.e. me.

In my time of looking for used cars, I find that there are a lot more dodgy cars out there than many people realise. Buyer beware.

Now back on topic, I suggest a 96 or later DC2. The earlier ones had only one or no airbag and also an OBD1 ECU. A little know secret is that the 96' cars are a good buy because they are pre-facelift but have much of the post-facelift tech like 2 airbags, OBD2 ECU and new style post-facelift wing mirrors (they started the facelift with the wing mirrors). If the seller doesn't know these little details, use the fact that it is pre-facelift to really knock the price down.

But the minus point is that a 96' DC2 VTi-R is very rare because it's the only year where the car has a pre-facelift body with (mostly) post-facelift internals.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG/S2K
    mate you wont have that problem with my car not one axcident or wrong spot on the car drives like a dream and turns heads for all the right reasons..i pmed you about it

cheers
    eric
    "SEX" Should Be Like V-TEC, The Whole Street Should Hear You Coming!

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE

Unhappy

You'll get that around sometimes, what those people think is that "oh I'll drop it down from 16k to 10k just for you today" It's a sale technique,

13second VTIR P plate legal
    http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/...52&hl=Dc2+vtir

This looks hot
    http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/...79&hl=Dc2+vtir

Cheap
    http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/...54&hl=Dc2+vtir
    Legend! Thanks for diggin them up man, the first two look really nice, but again the problem is there in nsw

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Quote Originally Posted by dinorider View Post
    Look out for this. You can win or you can loose.

The last time I did this on a car (a non-Honda) I lost. I got F*cked over once because I wanted to save a few $$$. Never again. In that situation, I went with a so-called mate to check out a car, and everything looked ok. In an attempt to save a few dollars, we bargained to buy the car off the seller and go settle the roadworthy stuff ourselves. After all, the car's registered, is a daily driver, looks ok, so what could be wrong right? As I found out.... plenty....

The very next day, I took the car to a mech's shop for its roadworthy certificate. Strike one: brake discs too thin. Fail. Strike two: The whole chassis front crossmember was MISSING and bits of the chassis showed poor welding. It was invisible from the top, and can only be seen if you hoist the car up and peep under the body work. Boy, I was so F*cked because the work to get the car roadworthy would end up costing more than the car itself. It had apparently been smashed and put back together is a rather dodgy fashion. No roadworthy certificate, car becomes illegal to drive in a month.

I called the seller, who was a woman, and told her, "hey look your car's not roadworthy. I can't get it registered. I can't buy it. I want my money back. Please."

She said, "why not? I bought it 5 years ago it was ok I never crashed it. I can't give you the money back. I've put it into a deposit for another car. My husband took the forms today morning and got this car taken off my name. It's yours now. Sorry. I can't help you."

F*CK. I was stuck with a very expensive LEMON. And I didn't have the money to deal with a LEMON.

In the end, the car was sold to a junkyard for close to peanuts. I lost 80% of the money I paid for it. Not. Happy. Jan.

In the end, I think either the woman who sold the car to me was conned herself and got it with a dodgy roadworthy cert when she bought it, or she knew about the problems with the car and just wanted to pass it on to an idiot. i.e. me.

In my time of looking for used cars, I find that there are a lot more dodgy cars out there than many people realise. Buyer beware.

Now back on topic, I suggest a 96 or later DC2. The earlier ones had only one or no airbag and also an OBD1 ECU. A little know secret is that the 96' cars are a good buy because they are pre-facelift but have much of the post-facelift tech like 2 airbags, OBD2 ECU and new style post-facelift wing mirrors (they started the facelift with the wing mirrors). If the seller doesn't know these little details, use the fact that it is pre-facelift to really knock the price down.

But the minus point is that a 96' DC2 VTi-R is very rare because it's the only year where the car has a pre-facelift body with (mostly) post-facelift internals.
    I feel sorry for you and the crap you had to go through! Thats rough!

I've taken that on board, and I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and just save a lil more and take a look at this one:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=120805E286ED

What do you think I should be able to get something like that for? Is $13k abit much?

Quote Originally Posted by Vvvtec View Post
    I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and just save a lil more and take a look at this one:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=120805E286ED

What do you think I should be able to get something like that for? Is $13k abit much?
    Looks sweet. I'd hit it!

Low Kms, but it's due for a timing and accessory belt change. Rule of thumb with timing belts: replace once every 100,000kms to avoid catastrophic failure. If sellers says 'yes it's just been done', ask for receipts. Don't ever believe words. I used to. Then I realised that there are more liars out there in this world than I ever expected.

Check the motorised radio antenna too. The gears strip out after about 7-8 years. Then on the way up and down, the antenna makes rat-tat-tat-tat noises. A new antenna mast from Honda costs more than $100 from the dealer. Plus labour, around $200 to install.

Keep these tips in mind when bargaining for a good price

If there are any visible worn parts (like the radio antenna I mentioned), and the owner says, "what do you expect, it's more than ten years old."

My retort is always, "You obviously didn't care enough for it to maintain/replace parts on it."

IMHO $10-11K is what I would pay for the car if no work needs to be done.

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Your a beast! thanks for the tips man, I honestly wouldnt have even thought of the antenna... and it's the little things that all add up.

I also see this one doesnt come with a Road Worthy Certificate... Should I be asking him to get it before I agree on a sale? And I've never had to bargain before, is it best to just lay out your bottom line first up? Or is there a better way to do it? Like, for example ask if he's willing to go lower than what he's asking...?

Sorry for the ton of questions, but take it as a compliment, you know your stuff and I appreciate the help! When I bought my civic is was so straight forward, I had everything, reciepts going back to December 94 right from the Dealer and it was a grandma too haha

Thanks again guys,
    Alex