Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1825262728293031 ... LastLast
    Thanks for that, was thinking you can just get away with a discount card and them recieve nothing in return

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EKC7
    Quote Originally Posted by markoJEK1 View Post
    How do I get a card, I just started using BP instead of Vpower since Shell's fuel supply shat itself. Are there any expenses for getting the card, or is it free membership?

SO it's just not up here in rockvegas weve run out 2wice last week and allready this week.

Nope, its everywhere supposivly, the supply of vpower has been cut and they are bringing in something new, from what ive been told by one of the employee's there

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EKC7
    Quote Originally Posted by markoJEK1 View Post
    Nope, its everywhere supposivly, the supply of vpower has been cut and they are bringing in something new, from what ive been told by one of the employee's there
    new as in better more improved or sh&t.
    we pay $1.31.5for v-power ( goes upto 132.9 @ the most)
    and $139.9 for ultimate ( and thats on a good day, it fluctuates to much)
    The guy's @ shell here in rocky said we wont see v-power racing at all due to lack of demand.

I noticed Shell has purposely made unleaded fuel around my area empty and instead pushed their new unleaded E10 Ethanol fuel and making it the only available fuel... this was at two petrol stations.

Member Array
    Car:
    60-POV
    There was a shortage on v-power around brisbane area in the last few weeks.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FN2 & EK4
    Quote Originally Posted by SeverAMV View Post
    which means you dont really save that much because of the fees associated with using the card itself. you'd have to be buying at least 50 litres for any real saving.
    What associated fees?
    I dont pay a mastercard surcharge, if thats what u are saying.
    Only cost is the annual fee which u pay for most credit cards anyway.

Member Array
    Car:
    99 EKC7
    so does anybody have an idea whats gong on.. other than being a shortage

considering the fuel all comes off the same boat.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 EK civic
    its all shit thats what

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    I have owned my car (DC2, Factory Engine & Factory Tuning) Rebuilt with OEM Honda Parts, for over a year. My results are as follows:

I was going to write up a entire review of fuels but didn't think it was worth my time / usefull enough to the OH community. Keep in mind that during testing, my car was driven conservatively with consistant (throughout differant fuels) but few "trips into VTEC" and fuels wernt judged until a "run through" tank was used.

All measurements of Distance/tank is taken by a full tank (pump cuts off 3 times) until the fuel light displayed for the first time. (excluding when driving over irregular terrain). ALthough i acknowledged and researched this it wasnt an "individual project" just recording and being alert to changes in car behaviour. The trips taken were a mix between "country and city" driving.

Route:
    From Eltham to Wantirna South (Knox City)
    Distance: 27.2kms, Average Time: 38 minutes, Average Speed: 43.2km/h

In this case:
    *"Full Tank" = 41-42 Litres so add a +-2% margin of error

Rankings:
    1. Mobil Synergy 8000
    2. BP Ultimate
    3. Caltex Vortex98
    4. Shell V-Power

Testing Order: Shell V-Power -> BP Ultimate -> Vortex 98 -> Mobil Synergy

Overview:

4. Shell V-Power
    Pros:
    - High End Power Output (above 5500rpm)
    - Average to Above Average Fuel Consumption
    - its "developed" by "Ferarri"
    Cons:
    - "Cracked" at 95 Octane, Large Amounts of Additives
    - Unclean resulting in high carbon deposits
    - Low end Torque suffers particulary below 3500RPM
    - Rough and "Searching" Idle

I've found shell V-Power to be a "rough" and unclean fuel. Really only showing benifits to those who keep their engine above 5,000rpm, and have little care for fuel system cleanliness.

Average Km's/Tank* Results: 476km, 483km

3. Caltex Vortex 98

Pros:
    - Relatively Cheap
    - Average Fuel Consumption
    - Illiminates Rough Idle
    Cons:
    - Scarce
    - Average Performer in all areas

Vortex almost feels like the fuel that was developed for the car. The car has no noticable powerband, Stable Idle and Little to Medium Carbon deposits.

Average Km's/Tank* Results: 461km, 473km

2. BP Ultimate

Pros:
    - Smooth and Very stable Idle
    - Little to No Carbon Deposits
    - Low End Torque
    Cons:
    - Expensive
    - High-End Power Suffers noticably
    - Poor Fuel Economy
    - Not as good Cold/Cool Starts

BP Fuel is the fuel you are safe with. Its clean, provides a stable idle, and has good low end torque. However, fuel economy suffers noticably. Not for the 'hip-pocket' concious.

Average Km's/Tank* Results: 434km, 447km

1. Mobil Synergy 8000

Pros:
    - Stable Idle
    - Cheap at times
    - Fantastic Fuel Economy
    - Low Carbon Deposits
    - Low End Torque (particulary noticable in high gears (3&4) below 4000rpm)
    Cons:
    - High End Power still has room for improvement
    - Idle can be rough (although stable) compared to BP Ultimate

Mobil Synergy is the ultimate solution. It provides great fuel economy along with smooth and noticable low end torque. It isnt quite as clean as BP but is close.

Average Km's/Tank* Results: 498km, 513km

My results have been confirmed by two contacts that work for BP and Shell one of them in the refinary down in Geelong. Although they both agree that my results are consistant with their experience and knowledge. They raised very good points..."Although a fuel may be fantastic you may have a batch that is lower in quality sent to a district of fuel stations or possibly all for a period of time. Although you will find most fuels will give somewhat consistant readings. "

DC2 Fuel Guage Discovery

Extremes:
    - Turning Right on a decent will decrease the fuel reading
    - Turning Left on a accent will increase the fuel reading

Doing either will effect the fuel gauge less dramatically...Now that is almost completely and utterly useless information, but something I discovered none-the-less!

IMPORTANT FACT
    Higher octane fuel is NOT directly related to improving power output. In fact, its the complete opposite. A higher octane fuel burns slower and more efficiently. Meaning less fuel consumption but less power output. The reason people may see gains in newer cars is because the Knock sensor may be restricting engine speed due to "pinging", when a higher RON is used...the car runs smoothly with un-interupted operation. Using the Lowest possible octane recommended for your car, in most situations should give you the most power. Eg. DC2 = Premium Unleaded (95 or more) so run 95. It also has to be used in high compression engines to avoid pinging which in turn can lead to detonation. Also a higher octane alows for higher compression resulting in more power. Higher octane has many benefits but to those who make use of it. Your not going to gain power by running 98RON in a car recommended for a 91 minimum. Technically you would loose torque.

EDIT: American Fuels are measured differantly in regards to their octane ratings. Thanks for the info, SeverAMV.

I thought I'd add that in, as I dislike when people are exposed to rumours or believe exagerated misinterpretations. Of course some people are just misinformed.

Anyway, (Wrote much more than I planned to) Hope everyone finds this information to be useful. I rarely drive anymore (uni), so im unable to take anymore readings of differant fuels, i am now consistantly using Mobil and are finding results within a small margin of variance to the ones above.

PLEASE REMEMBER:
    These are my findings, yours may and most likely will differ due to differant circumstances and testing methods. In the end it is mainly my opinion along side facts.

Regards,
    Andrew.
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 24-02-2008 at 04:11 PM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Behind the wheel of my car, cruising the hills of adelaide
    Car:
    ED6 Civic
    your explanation has a flaw. americans dont get 87-90 ron, they use a different reading over there. their 91 octane is the equivalent of our 98 octane fuel. google it or wiki it if you want.

and some carbon deposits can be good to certain extent. on top of the piston, carbon deposits can increase compression a little. but your findings are useful.

oh and did you test each fuel on one full tank of it? or multiple tanks of each? multiple tanks would be more useful in verifying your findings to ensure consistency.

aside from that, some interesting info.
    Current Performance Modifications to ED6:
    not telling, but it involves a semi-quad carb setup, and lots and lots of compression.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Interesting, did not know that. Contrary to what ive been told my mechanics, but i can see the sense in it.

About carbon deposits, differances in engine to engine (same model, year, k'
    s etc.) can make more differance than the gain that carbon deposits would give. Without even considering the fact that carbon deposits would sit on valve seats and restrict air flow through the exhaust.

At least one tank was run through before the 2 readings and results. I think i stated that at the top :S.

Thanks.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"