Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1926272829303132 LastLast
    this is a fantastic article, everyone.

http://canberracruises.com/Maclean/M...ommonFuels.pdfhttp://canberracruises.com/Maclean/M...ommonFuels.pdf

i wish the prices were still the same
    Last edited by <4n'D>; 25-02-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Quote Originally Posted by spoondc2 View Post
    By feeling, I agree Optimax gives more power, but it feel like my car is addicted to it, just like taking drugs, I couldn't use other kind of fuel now, I used to be using BP Ultimate before but right now my car will be hard to start up and stall if i use fuel other than Optimax, so i don't know, i don't like it this way

Anyway, heard that every petrol company put different formulas in the fuel on summer and winter, so would anyone explain about it?

PS: Never tried BP vs Shell on dyno, i just used Shell to run the dyno and i got the "so-call" 100kw on wheel and that is quite fake to me
    my car is addicted to optimax also
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    After reading the article posted by 4n'D. Since my engine is rebuilt and should be relatively carbon free considering ive used 98 octane consistantly. I think trying out ethanol might be a good test. Which may get interesting results. Will post the results within the next month or so.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

im pretty sure that using ethanol in an engine not built for it isnt really the best idea though...

Member Array
    Car:
    くろR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ny View Post
    I have owned my car (DC2, Factory Engine & Factory Tuning) Rebuilt with OEM Honda Parts, for over a year. My results are as follows:

I was going to write up a entire review of fuels but didn't think it was worth my time / usefull enough to the OH community. Keep in mind that during testing, my car was driven conservatively with consistant (throughout differant fuels) but few "trips into VTEC" and fuels wernt judged until a "run through" tank was used.

All measurements of Distance/tank is taken by a full tank (pump cuts off 3 times) until the fuel light displayed for the first time. (excluding when driving over irregular terrain). ALthough i acknowledged and researched this it wasnt an "individual project" just recording and being alert to changes in car behaviour. The trips taken were a mix between "country and city" driving.

Route:
    From Eltham to Wantirna South (Knox City)
    Distance: 27.2kms, Average Time: 38 minutes, Average Speed: 43.2km/h

In this case:
    *"Full Tank" = 41-42 Litres so add a +-2% margin of error

Rankings:
    1. Mobil Synergy 8000
    2. BP Ultimate
    3. Caltex Vortex98
    4. Shell V-Power

Testing Order: Shell V-Power -> BP Ultimate -> Vortex 98 -> Mobil Synergy

Overview:

4. Shell V-Power
    Pros:
    - High End Power Output (above 5500rpm)
    - Average to Above Average Fuel Consumption
    - its "developed" by "Ferarri"
    Cons:
    - "Cracked" at 95 Octane, Large Amounts of Additives
    - Unclean resulting in high carbon deposits
    - Low end Torque suffers particulary below 3500RPM
    - Rough and "Searching" Idle

I've found shell V-Power to be a "rough" and unclean fuel. Really only showing benifits to those who keep their engine above 5,000rpm, and have little care for fuel system cleanliness.

Average Km's/Tank* Results: 476km, 483km

3. Caltex Vortex 98

Pros:
    - Relatively Cheap
    - Average Fuel Consumption
    - Illiminates Rough Idle
    Cons:
    - Scarce
    - Average Performer in all areas

Vortex almost feels like the fuel that was developed for the car. The car has no noticable powerband, Stable Idle and Little to Medium Carbon deposits.

Average Km's/Tank* Results: 461km, 473km

2. BP Ultimate

Pros:
    - Smooth and Very stable Idle
    - Little to No Carbon Deposits
    - Low End Torque
    Cons:
    - Expensive
    - High-End Power Suffers noticably
    - Poor Fuel Economy
    - Not as good Cold/Cool Starts

BP Fuel is the fuel you are safe with. Its clean, provides a stable idle, and has good low end torque. However, fuel economy suffers noticably. Not for the 'hip-pocket' concious.

Average Km's/Tank* Results: 434km, 447km

1. Mobil Synergy 8000

Pros:
    - Stable Idle
    - Cheap at times
    - Fantastic Fuel Economy
    - Low Carbon Deposits
    - Low End Torque (particulary noticable in high gears (3&4) below 4000rpm)
    Cons:
    - High End Power still has room for improvement
    - Idle can be rough (although stable) compared to BP Ultimate

Mobil Synergy is the ultimate solution. It provides great fuel economy along with smooth and noticable low end torque. It isnt quite as clean as BP but is close.

Average Km's/Tank* Results: 498km, 513km

My results have been confirmed by two contacts that work for BP and Shell one of them in the refinary down in Geelong. Although they both agree that my results are consistant with their experience and knowledge. They raised very good points..."Although a fuel may be fantastic you may have a batch that is lower in quality sent to a district of fuel stations or possibly all for a period of time. Although you will find most fuels will give somewhat consistant readings. "

DC2 Fuel Guage Discovery

Extremes:
    - Turning Right on a decent will decrease the fuel reading
    - Turning Left on a accent will increase the fuel reading

Doing either will effect the fuel gauge less dramatically...Now that is almost completely and utterly useless information, but something I discovered none-the-less!

IMPORTANT FACT
    Higher octane fuel is NOT directly related to improving power output. In fact, its the complete opposite. A higher octane fuel burns slower and more efficiently. Meaning less fuel consumption but less power output. The reason people may see gains in newer cars is because the Knock sensor may be restricting engine speed due to "pinging", when a higher RON is used...the car runs smoothly with un-interupted operation. Using the Lowest possible octane recommended for your car, in most situations should give you the most power. Eg. DC2 = Premium Unleaded (95 or more) so run 95. It also has to be used in high compression engines to avoid pinging which in turn can lead to detonation. Also a higher octane alows for higher compression resulting in more power. Higher octane has many benefits but to those who make use of it. Your not going to gain power by running 98RON in a car recommended for a 91 minimum. Technically you would loose torque.

EDIT: American Fuels are measured differantly in regards to their octane ratings. Thanks for the info, SeverAMV.

I thought I'd add that in, as I dislike when people are exposed to rumours or believe exagerated misinterpretations. Of course some people are just misinformed.

Anyway, (Wrote much more than I planned to) Hope everyone finds this information to be useful. I rarely drive anymore (uni), so im unable to take anymore readings of differant fuels, i am now consistantly using Mobil and are finding results within a small margin of variance to the ones above.

PLEASE REMEMBER:
    These are my findings, yours may and most likely will differ due to differant circumstances and testing methods. In the end it is mainly my opinion along side facts.

Regards,
    Andrew.
    i had a good read.. thanks andrew, and +rep for you!

Quote Originally Posted by z3lda View Post
    there both shit, go senergy 8000 from moblie.!
    senergy FTW !!! mobil is a very pure fuel, no ethanol crap mixed in with it

Member Array
    Car:
    くろR
    hey V73C, is your pulsar running a sr20 with lift? you're andrew(fc3s)'s friend right? and you got a twin bro

Member Array
    Behind the wheel of my car, cruising the hills of adelaide
    Car:
    ED6 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by <4n'D> View Post
    im pretty sure that using ethanol in an engine not built for it isnt really the best idea though...
    actually, it doesnt really matter as long as you have an efi motor still using the factory ecu, otherwise, your motor will run extremely lean.
    Current Performance Modifications to ED6:
    not telling, but it involves a semi-quad carb setup, and lots and lots of compression.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Type R EP3
    well my dad said that he saw on TV there was a particular BP that was selling premium fuel as ULTIMATE.....so i been using vpower majority now on both Type R and S15

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    Now i wouldnt have believed it if someone told me but caltex vortex 98 seems to run the best in my b16 ... have no idea why it just gived a bit more grunt than the others

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Honda does not recommend it as the seals in the fuel system were not designed to run with ethanol. I'd rather stay away from anything with ethanol
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

mobil 8000 doesnt seem too good on my type S
    may try caltex next time