Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Lude Vtir

Clutch not engaging. Help!

So I was driving normally went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and it just wouldn't go into gear. At first I thought it was the gearbox because I had to replace that about 2 months ago. But then I pulled over turned the car off and it could go into every gear. I turned it back on and it wouldn't budge again. So I think it's the clutch that is not engaging to allow me to change gears while the cars on. Any help would be appreciated!

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude VTi-R ATTS 99'
    have you been grinding the gears lately?
    ACTIVE TORQUE TRANSFER SYSTEM

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Lude Vtir
    by grinding do you mean crunching? If so then no i havent every thing had been fine then all of a sudden this happened..

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude VTi-R ATTS 99'
    when you said you got it replaced 2 months ago, what exactly did you replace? the wholr gearbox? or just parts? cause it sound like the linkages are out of place
    ACTIVE TORQUE TRANSFER SYSTEM

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Lude Vtir
    i replaced the gear box and installed a brand new clutch, cost me 3k. my old gear box is still at my mechanics but its in a million pieces..

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Open your bonnet and check your clutch reservoir, most likely and my bet is its empty.

Check if it is empty, buy some brake fluid and pour it in until the max line, pump the clutch 20-30 times until it goes hard, the clutch at first will stick to the ground, just move it up and down and it will build up pressure.

Next step is too see where your leak is, check around the master and reservoir for leaks, paint will probably be crap if it has leaked on firewall.

If not check your clutch pedal for traces of fluid (should be around the top of it), if its not check your clutch lines, start from reservoir all the way to the bleed nipple in front of the radiator. If there is a leak here it will be from your clutch line, the plastic one, before the metal one thats before the bleed nipple.

Anyways thats it, best of luck and tell us how you go

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Lude Vtir
    My mechanic reckons the fluids are full so any other things that a clutch not engagigng means?
    By the way thank you everybody for your help

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Well you said that you replaced the gearbox and clutch.

How many km's have you done since you done it?

Not to sound like an ass, but go outside and have a look for yourself.

Open your bonnet, it should be in the top corner of engine bay, drivers side, its the smaller one, bigger one is brake reservoir, take the cap off and actually look, don't judge by looking at it.

I'm talking from experience that is the most likely issue. Could always be the mechanic trying to make a buck off you saying he replaced the gearbox oil or somin and charge you heaps when in fact he added some $10 brake fluid.
    Last edited by fromdeeeast; 21-02-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Lude Vtir
    I've done not even 2000 kms since all the replacements. But I will go into the mechanics tomorrow and sus it all out even though I know he doesn't wannat anything to do with my car after all the headaches I have caused him with it being atts and all

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Take it back to the mechanic who replaced everything.

Be firm, emphasise you didn't pay all this money for it to f**k up again, try to get them fix the issue without you paying extra, he installed it, should have been done proper

Good luck with it

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Lude Vtir
    Yeah I've told him that and he said we won't know what the problem is until he takes it apart and sends the clutch back to the supplier to get it inspected but yeah after spending all the money it didn't even last it's warrenty!