Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D16a8

Member Array
    Car:
    '90 Honda CRX

D16a8

ok so here is the deal,

I have a D16a8 motor in my CRX, (see thread ":the little CRX that could for pics of car and motor) i want to rebuild it as i got it from Boss Wrecking and it appears to not be in good condition, it wont start, and when cleaning the block i found that the intake was full of fuel residue and figure it was not a good thing. anyone know any good workshops that are experienced with the D16a?
    Im already talking to 999 automotive about it. got any idea where i can get good quality parts from? i have looked on "D-series.org" and they have some good info, but they are in the US and prices and places mean nothing here im looking at pistons, rods, cams, gears and a full engine rebuild with gaskets and seals while cleaning out the block and honing it. Like i said im talking to 999 about it, but wanted to know if anyone here has built a N/A D16 and what parts were used and rough cost/power output.

P.S I know the motor is old, i know the B16 has "Vtec YO", but i like the D16 and want to build it. so please dont say "just get a B16 put in it" thats not what i want to do.

all info is greatly appreciated guys.

www.thezcr.com

You're in a similar position to myself.

Bisimoto have an excellent reputation for cams /springs /retainers.

Member Array
    Car:
    '90 Honda CRX
    thanks, i looked there and they only have cams and gears for the D16A6? will these fit? i didnt think that they would. but in any case, they are completly sold out of them lol

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    If you like the D16A8 for the DOHC non-VTEC characteristics you could upgrade to a B18B DOHC non-VTEC. That way you'd have a similar 'style' of engine without going down the typical B-series DOHC VTEC path.

Otherwise you could try Bisimoto or Skunk2 Racing. Both make good parts, but obviously it won't be cheap. If you want to build the motor you'll be putting in at least 4-6 times what the actual engine is worth, naturally.

Good luck with the build and please make a build thread for us

Member Array
    Car:
    '90 Honda CRX
    thanks for the info, will look at the skunk 2 stuff. has anyone seen anything on the Nippon stuff? i found allot of guys in the US using it with success on turbo builds and things. and i can just about rebuild my whole motor with their parts. any thoughts?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    it wasn't out of that red crx that is there now is it? I looked at that car and it appears to have had a hard life if it is, damn **** wrecking. take it back and say the motors stuffed

Member Array
    Car:
    '90 Honda CRX
    i think it was. he claims that it wasnt but in all honesty, he told me he tested it and the stupid thing didnt even have a Dizzy, so how he tested it i have no idea. but having said that, it was from a DelSlow i think because the intake, TB, engine mounts and harness was completly different. the block was the same, but i had to change the mount on the cam gear side to the one off my broke engine because it was different. so i dont know, i would not recomend anyone get motors from them

Quote Originally Posted by EDracer View Post
    thanks, i looked there and they only have cams and gears for the D16A6? will these fit? i didnt think that they would. but in any case, they are completly sold out of them lol
    http://bisimoto.net/store/index.php?...&cPath=3_9_129

Also:

http://www.tighecams.com.au/profiles/hondacs.htm

I think those guys are in Brisbane, might be worth calling them.

Quote Originally Posted by EDracer View Post
    i think it was. he claims that it wasnt but in all honesty, he told me he tested it and the stupid thing didnt even have a Dizzy, so how he tested it i have no idea. but having said that, it was from a DelSlow i think because the intake, TB, engine mounts and harness was completly different. the block was the same, but i had to change the mount on the cam gear side to the one off my broke engine because it was different. so i dont know, i would not recomend anyone get motors from them
    They have a pile of Honda parts not available to the public, i know that they had a EG si (d16a8) there last time i went, it's quite possible they used the distributor off of this to see if it ran fine.

Also you can't judge a motors health because you can't get it to start. Just sayin.

Member Array
    Car:
    crx
    a eg si Dizzy D16a8 (obd1) wont work with a ed9 as it a Obdo ecu system
    d16a8 dizzy are know to blow and Boss wreckers has likely sold it before selling you the engine

www.thezcr.com is good site full information you can spent hour on there reading up great use full information

with cam gears D16a6 don't work as they for SOHC d series , B series cam gear do work but have different Top Dead Center alignment conpair to D16a8(zc) there are ZC cam gear out got to search for them

if you want to new intake manifold you can get a sohc to dohc adaptor plate to a Skunk2 D series intake manifold
    ZCspeed on thezc sell them from memory

And if you should replace the oil pump to protect rebuild motor from blowing up, you never know it will lose oil pressure once it back in car

if got a more question just snd me a Pm

i am too planing too to rebuild my D16a8 too , got a few bit already

talk later

Pat
    If you see a good Technical post giving advice give some postive rep

I've got a spare obd0 dizzy if you need one to try. I think i remember you saying that you were using the obd0 dizzy off of your first engine anyway?
    Last edited by ~Sp33~; 24-02-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I got a spare D16A8 dizzy, works fine

You're in melbourne :P