Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B20 Motors

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic vtir

B20 Motors

Just reading up on the internet and found out that apparently a stock b20 block (i mean as not being sleeved etc) is only capable of holding about 220hp before cracking. I know it comes down to engines builder, tuners and so fourth but has anyone got something to prove this statement wrong??

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    myth..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLNSGCRd0Q
    FIGJAM

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    I made 170ish kw @ wheels on stock sleeves.....

B20VTEC Build Thread

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    One of the blokes on the first page said he cracked 3 sleeves in track racing.

Another bloke said his sleeve lasted one year.

So...unless you wanna rebuild it yearly?

as long as it makes the power within the standard b20 rev range....it should last fo eva.
    Where the failures come in is the excessive revs (over standard) that kill sleeves. Or ive been told.

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    My B20VTEC has seen 8000+ rpm on a regular basis without issue... IMO it's poor tuning/detonation that cracks sleeves

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Sleeve cracking is pretty rare. Have to do something pretty harsh to the engine to make it crack, my mates B18C7 sleeves crack, piston reduced to mash potato, head all mashed up, all cause of a missshift. When stupidity comes to play no matter what engine you have, it will detonate. Also believe has to do with the excessive gases built up in the block due to no breather system.

Banned Array
    Car:
    EKB20 > EGB18C
    b18c7 doesnt need one.. b20 does

Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    Sleeve cracking is pretty rare. Have to do something pretty harsh to the engine to make it crack, my mates B18C7 sleeves crack, piston reduced to mash potato, head all mashed up, all cause of a missshift. When stupidity comes to play no matter what engine you have, it will detonate. Also believe has to do with the excessive gases built up in the block due to no breather system.

at the point your friend mis-shifted , the transmission "tried" to pull the engine to a theoretical XXXXXrpm over redline. (say from 4th to 2nd or 3rd to 1st....from 8000rpm to like 15,000rpm rofl) Thats why it blew up lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    B20 motors can be inspected and if they show some signs of seperation in the casting when looking at the deck, you can bet money it will fail once you put some large power through it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    as long as it makes the power within the standard b20 rev range....it should last fo eva.
    Where the failures come in is the excessive revs (over standard) that kill sleeves. Or ive been told.
    More comp wont help either, which is normally added on a build.