Spark Plug Problem?

Hey guys,

Just need some advice. Its already happened twice and I need to fix it before it puts me in a really bad position. The situation is as followS:

I drive a 99 Honda Civic Sedan vti. Happened twice, but when i started the car, it really struggled to ignite the engine and keep it going. It made like that miniature rev sound but really slowly as if it were dying and it just didnt start. Happened twice: Once when I stalled reversing up a hill, the other time I turned my car off for 2 minutes and attempted to turn it back on.

Now a person at Autobarn said that it could be something wrong with the spark plugs?

2 Questions:

1. Is it really something to do with the spark plugs?
    2. If it is, how easy is it to fix (DIY)?

Cheers
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummm mmmmmmmm

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    struggling to start sounds like the spark plugs are dirty and old

chaging the spark plugs takes all of 10-30 mins (30 if ur doing it for first time)

Heres a DIY on how to change them. You also need the right tools to complete this DIY (16mm spark plug socket, socket extension bar, ratchet)

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread....rk+plug+change

dont worry about the feeler gauge because all spark plugs (NGK) are pre gapped before being packaged. when you are putting ur new plugs in tighten them up by hand FIRST to make sure you and not threading the spark plug or head

also to find out which spark plugs you need just read through your owners manual
    Last edited by grifty; 02-03-2010 at 09:58 PM.
    OEM parts whore

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1992 Eg4 GSI
    dude man, changin spark plugs takes 10mins tops. pull the leads out and unscrew it out. wallah.

Any spark plugs will do. get iridium.

Hey guys,

Just replaced all the spark Plugs and leads (NGK) and now, the ignition is not as bad, but it is still doing it occasionally. Also, now it seems that all the lights (dashboard lights, headlights) seem to be pulsating when the engine is on but when its off, they remain solid.

I'm beginning to think that my battery's life is coming to an end. Is this right, or are there other matters that can contribute to this?

Cheers
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummm mmmmmmmm

Yep it'll be the battery for sure. I had same experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5
    im also assuming its the battery
    however taking it one step further
    it could also be the alternator which charges the battery.

step 1 in trouble shooting: check battery water levels, refill with distilled water
    step 2 get your battery checked by some dude (nrma, or whoever can)

if nothing is wrong with the battery charge, im assuming your alternator should be fine which means you wont need to replace it.
    in this case i have no idea what could be wrong.

in the case that your battery is in bad shape.
    you might want to:
    Firstly, try to charge it up then chuck it back into the car and see if it will hold charge
    Secondly, if its not holding charge, buy a new battery
    Thirdly, if the new battery goes downhill, its definitely your alternator not being able to charge battery properly.

you could just need a new battery lol

Edit: batteries usually last for up to 5 years if you dont leave lights on and dont have a sound system, and take care of it.
    usually people who dont care for their batteries will have it last up to 3 years then have to get a new one.
    really depends on how you use battery in your car, leaving interior lamps on and so on.

you can have a really nice clean looking battery, but health is bad. so looks can be deceiving! (get it checked)
    Last edited by aznalex; 19-06-2010 at 08:26 PM.