Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil levels.

oil levels.

hey all,

i dont know if its just me but today i have noticed when checking oil levels while the engine is cold that the levels are lower then when the engine is up to temp, so i was wondering which one is my actual oil level at? while its cold or up to temp?

cheers guys!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Check when cold.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

oh okay. strange because i just got a service done not long ago and my transmission oil is down quite a bit already :S

thanks for ur help

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by 09FD1 View Post
    oh okay. strange because i just got a service done not long ago and my transmission oil is down quite a bit already :S

thanks for ur help
    Are you talking about engine oil or transmission oil? They are both totally different things and have to be checked at different temperatures.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

never mind. just had a quick read of the car manual and found the answer there.

thanks anyway
    Last edited by 09FD1; 04-03-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    What's the answer then?

I always just checked,like,wheneva!

My tranny oil was low,after I did a change,hence why the auto was changing gears too early I think cause I topped it up and it's back to normal.

Does that sound right Aaron?

(I put too much in,then I took too much out lol,the damn thing only holds 1.9L!!)

for transmission oil check when engine is running temp. i use to check whenever too LOL. noticed it happens with coolant too, much more coolant in the reserve when engine is running temp compare to when its cold.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    So:

Coolant = running temp
    Trans fluid = running temp
    Engine Oil = ?

Cheers mate.

oil level can't be higher after a drive...maybe you aren't reading the dipstick properly.
    anyway check in the morning and you can see the oil level clearly.

im quite sure it was lower this morning b4 taking the car out then it was in the afternoon when i got home. and in the civic manual it states that to check tranny fluid while engine is at running temp =S. i shall check again tmr morning before i head off to work.

@beeza
    not sure for engine oil.. today when i checked both times, cold and running temp, it was on the same level on the dipstick.

aaronng, engine oil check at what temp?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Cheers mate!

as stated in civic manual "make sure the engine is warmed up and the vehicle is parked on level ground. turn off the engine and wait approx 3 minutes before checking the oil level"

so engine oil = running temp.