Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyonite View Post
    ermm......... not sure if mine will be written off too... 40 dents on roof, 20+ on bonnet, 15 on boot, roughly 5 panels needs to be repaired. car value is 24000.... crap.. i hate hail storm
    My situation is the same as yours, though I'm assuming the higher the value, the less likely it'd be written off. Are you with AAMI and has your car been assessed? I think with eroxxx's car it also had internal damage, so costs a lot more. But I too think $16800 is a fair value.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    My situation is the same as yours, though I'm assuming the higher the value, the less likely it'd be written off. Are you with AAMI and has your car been assessed? I think with eroxxx's car it also had internal damage, so costs a lot more. But I too think $16800 is a fair value.
    my car will be assessed by aami next Tuesday, just realized 7 panels needs to be repaired, i am hoping they will write off the car, can't be bother for the repair, since it's going to take a least 2-4 months to repair. I drove pass by aami center today and there were like 100+ cars in the workshop waiting to be assessed. crazy...

Oh mine is not happening until like almost 2 weeks later, sigh. After that god knows how much longer to wait to be repaired etc. Do update after you've gone for the assessment.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    JDM EP.TREE
    for those who don't know already, a write off due to hail damage will be classed as a repairable writeoff and you will get to buy the car off aami, be paid out your agreed value minus excess fees and the price you buy the car back for. good luck everyone.

im hoping for a writeoff. got my assessment on 22/03. i assume the place will be packed lol. one of aami's csr's called me today and advised me the whole process would take only 10minutes, so im assuming you'll get your car assessed and then be handed a cheque.

fingers crossed guys!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    BB6 ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by tunacnt View Post
    for those who don't know already, a write off due to hail damage will be classed as a repairable writeoff and you will get to buy the car off aami, be paid out your agreed value minus excess fees and the price you buy the car back for. good luck everyone.

im hoping for a writeoff. got my assessment on 22/03. i assume the place will be packed lol. one of aami's csr's called me today and advised me the whole process would take only 10minutes, so im assuming you'll get your car assessed and then be handed a cheque.

fingers crossed guys!
    I sympathize with everyone in this truly cruel but real situation. I was at work, and when I saw the storms were a couple of hours away (looked on B.O.M) I moved my car into the drive through (I work in a bottle-shop, LOL). Customers were like... WTF is this douche bag in front of me waiting for?! Haha.

They don't hand you a cheque straight away, usually it's a week (a day or two at the least) waiting period depending on insurance company. They are also obligated to pay your finance company if the car is Leased/On a Secured Loan. Some insurance companies actually deposit the money into a nominated bank account.

All this is going to **** insurance companies hard. I wouldn't be surprised that the average amount to insure a car in Melbourne will go up now.

^^ Good Idea above me, You could buy back your car and fix it yourself. I would probably do that and Respray it myself, depending on the severity of the damage of course.

Good-Luck Everyone!
    AMSOIL 10w30/Ea013 @ 5k OCI's, AMSOIL MTF Synchromesh, RE002's @ F 40/R 38 PSI; 9.23L/100kms. Suburban(Minimal Freeway).

Self Tuned (Road). Dyno soon.

Be Careful when buying back your car from insurance after write off

Hi All,
    I'm in the same situation as most and looks like AAMI will write my car off as it's under $10,000 in value, but can't get it inspected for another month!!

I'm looking at the situation of buying the car back from the insurance company for the 'salvage value' but there are far more implications involved with this. AAMI are obliged by law to notify VicRoads that the vehicle is a 'Repairable write off' and as such VicRoads cancel the registration. Whether I choose to repair the cosmetic damage or not, in order to get the vehicle re-registered, you must get a roadworthy certificate and have the vehicle inspected at a VIV Inspection Centre which costs $484 and booked through VicRoads. It is essentially set up to stop people buying damaged cars for their identification and placing them on stolen cars.

Here's the VicRoads link explaining the process. http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gistration.htm

The other issue is that if I choose to drive the car around with the existing hail damage, AAMI and I assume a number of other insurance companies will refuse to insure the car, even for third party/fire and theft. So make sure you do your sums as to whether it is worth the expense of trying to obtain a roadworthy, pay the VIV inspection fee and then another years rego (because when AAMI settle your claim they get the rego refund when it is cancelled) and also a number plate fee, all to drive around in the same car you started with.

Initially I thought I might make some money out of having the car written off, but it doesn't look that way at present. By the way, I found this thread via a google search and don't even own a Honda, but thought it was important people understood the implications of buying your car back from the insurance company.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 EuroLuxNav
    ^^^^ thanks for the link - I'd been wondering how all that works!

My Integra got a bit of hail damage - about four on the roof, one on the tailgate, one on the drivers side C pillar but about one hundred on the bonnet (it looks like a golf ball now ). For a car which has copped a lot of dints on the bonnet or boot nows the time to start looking at aluminium or carbon fibre replacement! That is, if you are keeping the car and are repairing it yourself.