Member Array
    Car:
    ED gl saloon
    hey guys i have a 88 civic GL sedan (my bro wants the CRX not me). i was wondering how much it would cost for me to do a conversion to the B16a VTEC engine? i know you prob say to buy a CRX, but i wanna be different, so yeh. cheers guys :P
    ps...HAS IT BEEN DONE????? :shock:

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Honda did it in the late '80s

The car is called a SiR :dance:

It's a relatively easy swap - once you fork out about 600 bucks for a set of Hasport or Place mounts. Then you need a EF8 CRX or EF9 CRX frontcut (or an Integra XSi cut). You need the '89-'90 gearbox because the Aussie ED Civic GL is a cable clutch and only the 1st gen SiRs and XSi came with this on the B16A. The replacement mounts are also a must for the ED -> EF conversion as the B16A runs different mounting points and the crossmembers don't bolt up to an ED. The mounts also locate the B16A lower down than in an EF8/9 which is a must as the EF bonnets etc are raised rather than the inverted ED ones to accomodate the B16A's extra height.

Add in a full exhaust including high-flow cat and muffler, electrician costs, a high pressure EFI fuel pump (you are going from carby to EFI) etc and you are looking at about 5-6 grand all up including the front cut. You need the cut for the ECU, wiring loom, instrument cluster, driveshafts, brakes etc.

Cheers
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

YOU HAVE PM

Member Array
    Car:
    ED gl saloon
    hey setanta
    thanks for your reply. shit it sounds like a lot of work but i want to do it. i wont get the means for about 9 months, but i wanna get all the info asap. where will i get a front cut from?????? for any of the cars. and i mean i dont want one that has a lot of kays on it either of course

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Where are you located?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED gl saloon
    im in sydney...upper north shore
    where you? what ride you got?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED gl saloon
    bump

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Type-MO
    Quote Originally Posted by mytoycivic
    look @ pete's sig!! he has a jdm ef9 SiR

Member Array
    Car:
    VTIR
    I also have a civic but mine is a 92 EG shape SI model and i was thinking of gettin the b16a engine.
    around how much would a b16a half cut cost? im located in syd

Member Array
    Car:
    VTIR
    sorry to interupt ur thread 'mytoycivic'

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mytoycivic
    /me points to Avatar and sig for ride, then points under Avatar for location :twisted:

Honbits, Hontoys, SSS Automotive off the top of my head may be able to hook you up with a front cut. If not there will also be interstate wreckers who can hook you up and freight. Be careful, some places can be shonky and not give you everything - just ask ALLMTR.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by -MuGen PoWer-
    I also have a civic but mine is a 92 EG shape SI model and i was thinking of gettin the b16a engine.
    around how much would a b16a half cut cost? im located in syd
    Between 2 and 3 grand. Get the EG6 front-cut though, not the EF8/9 or DA6 as you need the hydroalic clutch. Getting a cut with the cable tranny will leave you with a major problem.