Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

do police cars scan number plates as they drive along?

had a convo with a mate at a pub. he assured me he got busted for driving with disqualified license because police scanned his number plates and pulled him over. Is this true? do police really have the ability to do this?

Im pretty sure they do. but i cant confirm

not literally scan.....with some sort of imaging device but scan with their own EYES.
    If they want to , they can get your rego plate then type it into their computer , which instantly brings up EVERY detail about the car , its history and legal owner/driver

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    yeh they sure do have the equipment to do so. I've seen the camera rig on top of driver side roof. scans your plate whilst behind u.

saw on news something about cops being able to scan even on parked cars for unpaid fines etc
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO cu2
    Quote Originally Posted by insanesam View Post
    had a convo with a mate at a pub. he assured me he got busted for driving with disqualified license because police scanned his number plates and pulled him over. Is this true? do police really have the ability to do this?
    I know for a fact that police normally randomly punch in the rego no. to their toughbook pc in the patrol car and within 2 - 3 seconds get the full details of your car, owners registered home and past or current violations.

They showed me how it works when i was at a 24 hours maccas and was chatting with them.

Hope this helps
    Cheers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Rice-box
    yes they do it. Was talking to one dude when I was at court. He was driving his sister's car. Pulled up next to a cop car. As he took off the cop pulled behind him and then hit the sirens. Turns out the car was out of rego.

that article was dated sept 2009 and they are trialling it (in south aus), is it mainstream yet?. do they do it in nsw?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz GD
    Can't see the worry if they do.
    If you are driving on DQ'ed licence or expired rego, get off the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You'd only drive DQ or expired reg if you are a loser.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    not literally scan.....with some sort of imaging device but scan with their own EYES.
    If they want to , they can get your rego plate then type it into their computer , which instantly brings up EVERY detail about the car , its history and legal owner/driver
    Hey Ben,

They DO have cars that "literally scan"
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Quote Originally Posted by tiksie View Post
    Hey Ben,

They DO have cars that "literally scan"

ooooo how futuristic. Like most - i thought that was the occasional side-of-the-road blitz with the camera and police officers sitting a few hundred meters away pulling over people. Which cars exactly ? Because i thought it was a trial period too

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    ooooo how futuristic. Like most - i thought that was the occasional side-of-the-road blitz with the camera and police officers sitting a few hundred meters away pulling over people. Which cars exactly ? Because i thought it was a trial period too
    Not too sure.

But my grandfather was pulled over about 2 weeks ago because his rego just rant out 1 day before.

The way the copper found out was via the scanner mounted on his roof apparently, don't know the specifics, but he definitely didn't do it by eye
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend