Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-S

How bad is it sticking it in redline

Just recently took my type-s completely in redline through 1 all the way to the end of 2, the needle staying in red due to the wet road. Probably did it twice.

I'm wondering how bad is this for the engine? hear honda engines are designed for the red, but is this taking it too far?

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW019
    Like just about every engine, it has a rev limiter, to stop you grenading it...
    blz-arw019

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Its fine.. just dont do it to often lol, make sure you dont hold the revs to long while the needles bouncing from the rev limiter. Do note that this is not recommended, as your spinning your driveshafts up to a faster speed then your actually going... and its not good.. dont remember the exact reason lol.. but i just remember spinning up the driveshafts faster then the cars going is bad...

take it easy in the wet.. vtec less...temptin.. but its dangerous..
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    its a honda with high rev limiter and vtec, it was built to be revved..........

just be smart about it and make sure the car is warmed up well and be realistic when having fun and dont over do it..........
    thats my opinion...

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post

just be smart about it and make sure the car is warmed up well and be realistic when having fun and dont over do it..........
    thats my opinion...

cars are designed to be driven. and in some cases, a little bit harder.
    with good maintainence on your engine and well warmed up, red lining is not much of an issue.

if it was going to blow up in your face honda would have made the rev limiter significantly lower.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-S
    Thanks for the reply guys. I don't feel as bad about it now, guess I'll take it in for a service an extra 1000k/ms early.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-S
    Ok so I was on the highway today overtaking and taking it to the red in 3rd then changed and found it popped into 2nd and revved past 9000 out of the range to 10000! then did it again to 9000 on 2 occasions trying to change from 3rd to 4th but ending in 2nd. I change fine from 3rd to 4th if say it was in 6-7 rev range, however anything past that it finds itself in 2nd.

I'm convinced if I keep this up the engine is defo gonna blow on me. Any suggestions?

as long as the engine is warmed up (coolant temp. gauge shows normal) you have sufficient oil and generally are smooth about it , the car should be able to take it.

But over revving and down shifting can get you into trouble.
    For example , if you try to snag 4th and go into 2nd at max RPMs , that will pull the engine ( via the transmission) into theoretical unseen unstable RPMS.....like 10,000....12,000 even 15,000rpms. That will instantly blow the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by quocies View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Stop doing it.
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post

thats my opinion...
    + keep an eye on oil as a regular thing and you should be fine
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-S
    Thanks String, i'll try my best.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sausage legs
    Quote Originally Posted by CB7_OWNER View Post
    dont remember the exact reason lol.. but i just remember spinning up the driveshafts faster then the cars going is bad...
    I'm guessing it has something to do with the driveshaft possibly dislodging from where it connects to the engine since it's trying to spin at a different speed - death.