Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    Well I can tell you that turbo is not everything. It's funny how a 4-cyl NA car can beat turbo powered cars in a straight line. I know vtec is over-rated, but it is also under-rated... if you know what I mean

Our family owns a couple of STi WRXs. One is a 2 door one and the only WRX i have driven.

Sure, turbo is great. But punting it around town is a headache. The turbo takes too damn long to spool. Sure, it makes up for it and then some, but you'd wait all day doing it. I had an old EF civic that was more responsive than that slug.

I like how people say there is such thing as 'vtec' lag. What lag? The car is N/A responsive already, N/A is more responsive than ANY turbo.

In a perfect world, you'd want a turbocharged car to have the responsiveness of the N/A AND have the linearity of power delivery of it as well. The reason why turbocharged vehicles give you that shove in the seat is because of non-linearity of the power delivery. It gives you more than what you expect. That's fine in the case of just driving around and perhaps the occasional traffic light GP, but for racing that is extremely undesireable.

It's really up to the buyer to decide what they want and what they prefer. We can talk about turbo vs n/a ALLLL day...

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadean
    It's really up to the buyer to decide what they want and what they prefer. We can talk about turbo vs n/a ALLLL day...
    Exactly.

So lets keep this purely technical and VTEC related only.

Thanks.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    Sorry, I knew that this was the tech thread, hence why my very first post in this had my apology. Anyone wanna make a Turbo vs NA thread? Let us know which section it should be in

Let's not... it's an eternal debate.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    VTEC and turbo in the same line doesnt exist,,,turbo is different kettle of fish altoghether...VTEC its ok, but too many kids reckon its the ultimate :?

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    i know its a little off topic, but i'm a bit confused

i dunno whether its all VTEC engines, but in particular the B18C2 engine. many ppl say that you don't hear VTEC kick in, instead you hear the secondaries. :?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, the B18C is more 'refined' than the b16 in that the VTEC change over is much smoother than the b16, where you feel VTEC kick in at 5,800 RPM.

Member Array
    Car:
    was a DC4...
    i'm quite sure i read it on team-integra, but they say with the B18C, VTEC engagement point is somewhere along the lines of 4500rpm, and secondaries kick in at 5600rpm :?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the initial engagement is at 4,500 RPM.

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    everyone says *oOoOoOoO dont u love thte sound of vtec rah rah rah*

im not sure i can hear *vtec*...? like to me, its a mind thing, i know i have vtec, so when i engage at certain revs, i feel confident knowing i ahve vtec, but i cant neccessarily *hear* it....

i do notice that the engine does get louder, but isnt that jsut cos its cranking higher revs etc?

can anyone explain this *vtec* noise? or yeah.... dum di dum di dum....
    when do we hit vtec?

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Your exhaust is stock Eric. Once you have a loud(er) exhaust you'll notice it more