Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic eg

94 accord start problem

My accord did something today its never done before, it was about 32 degrees today and after a 30min drive, i shut it off for about 5 mins when i got to my place, then when i went to start it again it wouldnt go...the lights on the dash were lighting fine, i tried like 5 times, turned the key and nothing, like no cranking or anything, like the batt was dead.. i waited like 6 mins or so, then i tried again and it started just fine...i let it run for bout 3 mins and shut it off, went to start it again and it wouldnt start!! had bout wait about 10mins this time!....i was late to work by 20min so i wasnt happy! whats the issue??
    Last edited by mike0094; 18-03-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    AP1, Jazz GE
    maybe something wrong with the starter..if it is,then its a cheap fix..

Member Array
    Car:
    eg breeeeze,eg5
    its the starter motor for sure, happened to me recently with my accord. Same problem, turn the key and nothing, just lights. so you batt is fine, you either do a push start if your car is manual or just get it towed to your mechanic. Its a cheap fix, got my car to the mechanic and he fixed it in 3 hrs and it was back on the road.
    this was exactly 2 weeks ago for me.

Member Array
    Car:

This used to happen to me - ended up being dodgy alarm/immobiliser because it stopped doing that after I got a different one installed.

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Battery terminals tight tight tight???

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    cd5 accord h22a
    hey man check al your power and earth cables that they are tight and make sure that the terminals are sweet (no white power stuff around them) failing that starter motor replace or rebuild . by pulling off your starter motor and going in to a auto sparkie he should be able to bench test it and tell you if its good or bad .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    AP1, Jazz GE
    one trick that i learn from a friend..if your starter is not working,while you turning the key and try to start up the car then second person use something thats metal to hit the starter(not hard). I tried before and it works. Dont burn me on this,i just want to share a trick that works for me with you guys.

By the way mike,it could be the plug that connect the starter is loose as well..

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord 2005 VTi Auto

Member Array
    Car:
    1994 Honda Accord VTI-S
    Quote Originally Posted by namtaro View Post
    its the starter motor for sure, happened to me recently with my accord. Same problem, turn the key and nothing, just lights. so you batt is fine, you either do a push start if your car is manual or just get it towed to your mechanic. Its a cheap fix, got my car to the mechanic and he fixed it in 3 hrs and it was back on the road.
    this was exactly 2 weeks ago for me.
    This is the long way for a band aid fix. u didn't need to get it towed.

Open bonnet, get metal object, ratchet, hammer, screwdriver, anything.

Hit starter motor 2-3 times with moderate force.

moderate force?- hard enough without denting anything.

reason why u don't want to dent anything?- When u buy a reconditioned one (coz u wont buy 1 from honda unless u have a spare 1000 bucks) you will save $50 if u give them your old one.

Other problem it could be-

the ignition ....barrel . It isn't precisely the barrel, but basically, it is the part where when you turn the key, the metal parts line up and thus complete the circuit. This is a common problem as the metal pieces don't close the unit due to corrosion on these metal faces.

how to fix?- take it out, clean metal put back in.

or

go to a good mechanic, pay $40 and its done.

How to get out of the situation in scenario 2 if it wont start.

Hotwire.

How?- Call a good mechanic who will tell u .
    Gas up the Vtec for you tonight and baby you can go wherever you like.....