Biggest Noob question

Hi guys,

I have tried searching, and for the life of me I can't find it in DIY. But all i wna know is how to replace and install a new battery in my 99 Civic. I've already bought the battery, and it might be easy but i just need some visuals so i know what to take off, and what not to touch etc.

Please help or redirect me to the thread!

Cheers
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummm mmmmmmmm

Should be easy mang, just remember to take the NEGATIVE (black) terminal off the battery itself first. Then take the positive (red) off, insert new battery, connect positive, then connect negative.

All you should need is a spanner.

Dunno bout the 99 civic, but mine has this funky little holder thing which holds the battery in place. DO NOT drop the nuts off of this or you will spend a good 30-45 minutes fishing around your engine bay to get them. Be very careful as it turns a 10 minute job into a multi-hour epic (i dropped them twice once).
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

Thanks man.

Should I handle any of the connectors with care?

Is there anything on the battery that if I touch i could get poisoned (corrosive acid etc) or electricuted? Do i need Gloves to handle this?
    daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummm mmmmmmmm

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    You dont need a diy guide.

Just a small adjustable spanner to undo the terminals and battery strap

dont touch negative and positive the same time and you will be okay lol. Wash your hands afterwards
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Yeah watch for battery acid and any buildup on the terminals. Wear rubber gloves if youre worried. Coz theres acid involved the safety conscious among us would also say where a mask and eye goggles too if youre that concerned, though the risk is minimal unless you can actually SEE the acid around, or you have reason to suspect your battery is leaking.

And yeah, definitely dont touch things between the terminals. Also, dispose of the old battery properly, as if it leaks acid it WILL eat into whatever is around it.
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    im sure someone will take the old battery for scrap metals ... u could probably get a few bucks for it even - anything with copper or lead in it is worth something lol

i touched the positive terminal to the earth braket when i was installing a pivot razin on my mates car once and arc welded the nut to the bolt to part of my hand ... scared us more than anything ... but yeah DONT DO IT lol
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    ek1 mother****er
    pretty sure they recycle old batteries :S not sure where to take them though
    THAT SHIT WAS BANANAS

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 EK Hatch
    repco or such will dispose of old batteries for you just take them to the counter. Not sure if they only do it if you buy a new battery from them tho.

I think you need a 10mm spanner to undo your battery holder, other than that just loosen the terminals off and throw in the new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

Member Array
    Car:
    Shitty Rail
    i always go with, earth wire (black) as the first ones to go on, and the last ones to come off when changing batteries...

i've never really found the reason to wear gloves although if there is powder build up at the contacts then its best to wear protective gear (just incase)

if this is the case, don't just blow the powdery substance away as it means your face is within reach of the turbulence when these particles go in the air...simply get a brush or something to clear the contacts before placing them on the new battery...

if this is a constant problem, you can use petroleum jelly to cover the contacts and this will prevent future build up of that white powder on the contacts...
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    SOHC VTEC = great fuel consumption!
    DOHC VTEC = what fuel consumptioBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    "A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend"

for some general questions as this it never hurts to consult google. i didn't know how to change the battery either a while back, just a quick search on google gave me answers and images.
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i