Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak

b16/b20 engineers certificate

ive been told that it is no longer possible to get an engineers certificate for this combination of engine build. but then again i know one guy who has got the engineers certificate after much delay because he was too lazy to replace rear drums to discs.

these engines sound like fun, hoping it would be inbetween b16a2 and b18c full conversion pricing. just wondering, can i get an engineers certificate if i get it dropped in?

or can i possibly do something dodge that will get the engineer to give his seal of approval?

and finally, can i drive this car without an engineers certificate?

cheers in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Just FYI, B18C conversion would be cheaper than a B20 frank build.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    B18C7 or B18CR are as expensive as a 'built' B20VTEC (assuming you have a B16 head to start with, otherwise they're very close).

B18C2 is cheaper than B20VTEC / B18C7 / B18CR.

If you're in VIC then you can get an engineering cert for pretty much anything, provided it's done properly.

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    been told by akmotorworks cannot get the certificate because 'it is not a honda engine anymore...therefore illegal'. should i be worried?

Member Array
    Car:
    murcielago
    anything can be done, aslong you got the money.
    how would a clubman with k series get certified?
    a datsun with a 13b?
    so im sure you can certify anything, aslong the engine block number is all legit!
    for a certificate, you need upgrade few things such as brakes, enclosed airbox, etc etc list goes on
    EG5 Powered by DR HONDA
    Tune By: Scott @ Insight Motorsport

QSR Customs

can ya really tell the difference??
    When i look at the head/rocket cover of a b16a , b18, b20 all looks the same (unless ya got ITBs rofl!)

That's why no pt engineering it if you started with a b16a2. OR swap to b16a2 then blueslip to change engineID and then b20 block.
    think outside the box

-but YES u can get it engineered

Member Array
    Car:
    s14a
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapdouchebag View Post
    been told by akmotorworks cannot get the certificate because 'it is not a honda engine anymore...therefore illegal'. should i be worried?
    does AK mean not an engine built by honda from factory?
    maybe you should be worried... but the engineering certificate shouldnt be an issue

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    nope, they said straight up i cant get it if i want an engineers certificate. im not doing itself that is, im going to let them do it.. but now im wondering should i or should i not anymore. maybe ill just resort to a b16 where i know it will be built beautifully at, im still not sure about these guy's work as im not familiar with them, but their prices are pretty competitive.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    You'll be happier with the extra torque in a B18. Even a B18C2 would be better to drive than a B16A for a similar price.