Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic eg

How reliable has your 5th gen been?

There doesnt seem to be a post for this so thought id make one to find out if im the only one whos had a horror run with their accord..

ive had my 94 accord for about 1.5 years now, its got 220,000kms which i dont think is very much, so far all this has gone wrong

Starter motor failed and needed replacing
    Brake master cylinder craped itself - needed replacing
    Ignition Switch failed
    Ignition control module + coil just failed on me now
    and all those things added plus all the other normal stuff is alot of $$$$$$$

When they were doing the ICM the guy checked over the car and said all the shocks were getting soft... which means they probably need replacing soon right?...do u guys have as much problems?? i take such good care of this car cos i really like it but it sucks in a word

Thanks for the replys guys, the screwed starter motor and ignition switch seem like a common trend with the accord eh?
    Last edited by mike0094; 24-03-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord VTi 2008
    Sorry to hear your horror story, buddy. I own a Accord VTi 2008 which was bought brand new. I previously owned a Nissan Maxima and although the car was in perfect condition, I had to sell it to avoid multiple insurance premiums and the overall running costs.

The Maxima was 1998 model and had done 260,000 KMs. I had it regassed once, the alternator gave up after 220,000 KMs. I had all four shocks replaced after the back ones were a bit soft. Nissan makes good cars and its a pity their resale values are so underrated.

Just a comparison. I'd be glad if my Accord does anywhere around 200K without major repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by mike0094 View Post
    There doesnt seem to be a post for this so thought id make one to find out if im the only one whos had a horror run with their accord..

ive had my 94 accord for about 1.5 years now, its got 220,000kms which i dont think is very much, so far all this has gone wrong

Starter motor failed and needed replacing
    Brake master cylinder craped itself - needed replacing
    Ignition Switch failed
    Ignition control module + coil just failed on me now
    and all those things added plus all the other normal stuff is alot of $$$$$$$

When they were doing the ICM the guy checked over the car and said all the shocks were getting soft... which means they probably need replacing soon right?...do u guys have as much problems?? i take such good care of this car cos i really like it but it sucks in a word

1996 VTiS Auto
    180ks now

CV joints out
    Ignition switch burned
    ABS not working
    glove box's light on constantly (fixed now by adding some padding lol)
    spring at the boot not working well, drop on my head a few times.
    climate control shits itself

Other than that, its sweet

Member Array
    Car:
    eg breeeeze,eg5
    well ive only owned my 96 cd5 for 1 month

170xxxkms on car
    140xxxkms on motor since it was changed to a h22a

problems ive had was starter motor needed replacing
    and i think my rotors are warped so those need replacing soon.

but h22a is awesome on a 5th gen =P

Member Array
    Car:
    96 CD5
    Mine is 308,XXX kms.

No real problems with mine at all. But its been serviced with top quality products and as often as possible.

Haven't been able to get it done recently (about 4,000kms overdue) so i will find out just how reliable it is this friday when i get it back from the mechanic. fingers are crossed.
    OzAccord <-- Being rebuilt, but come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Had mine for a few months now, about 220,000 on the clock (I think almost). So far had to replace the radiator (was blocked up when I bought it), so no radiator maintenance from the previous owners would have contributed to that.

Other than that I have a split CV boot which will be replaced soon, other stuff I have done is just maintenance and nothing major gone wrong with it. It's a pretty rock solid car and I've been very impressed so far.

Member Array
    Car:
    CR-V
    Hitting 110,000kms soon with no problems what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by namtaro View Post
    well ive only owned my 96 cd5 for 1 month

170xxxkms on car
    140xxxkms on motor since it was changed to a h22a

problems ive had was starter motor needed replacing
    and i think my rotors are warped so those need replacing soon.

but h22a is awesome on a 5th gen =P
    Nice, another member (Zillacles) got hit with a lot of problems with his car after a H22A swap...
    CR-V RD1 - The Daily
    V36 - Weekender
    R33 - Track Warrior

Member Array
    Car:

None of it was really the H22's fault though. Dizzy = egay's fault. Cooling = shit left over in my radiator.

Member Array
    Car:
    CR-V
    Quote Originally Posted by zillacles View Post
    None of it was really the H22's fault though. Dizzy = egay's fault. Cooling = shit left over in my radiator.
    I really hope that it's fixed, done and forgotten soon
    CR-V RD1 - The Daily
    V36 - Weekender
    R33 - Track Warrior

Member Array
    Car:

Lol pretty much. While I'm waiting for that part to get in, I'm gonna try finish the carputer install + maybe relocate battery too.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg breeeeze,eg5
    but yerh, most of my replacing parts arent really the h22a to blame, the starter motor was just old, and my rotors were old. Changed the rotors now and the car is fine, feels alot safer.

Member Array
    Car:
    GG Mazda6 MPS
    CD5 VTi, 220,000kms.

No real issues, except for a rear tail-light wiring defect which has got me stumped.

Symptons:

Brake light indicator on the dash is on.
    When you press the brake pedal, both indicators faintly light up.
    When you press the brake pedal and indicate in either direction, the respective indicator faintly lights up and hyperflashes, but so do both brake lights.
    When you have the headlights on (and consequently the rear markers on), same symptoms as above.
    When you press the brake pedal, interior lights dim as if you've got the headlights on.

Hazards work as per normal.

Going to replace the rear light loom and see if that fixes it, but already been through a set of new bulbs, new rear brake lamp failure sensor, new brake light switch...
    It's not a f*cking Prelude.