Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a/c on '94 VTi Civic?

Did any of them come with a/c back then? if not is it possible to install it? there are a few spare switches on the dash, surely one can be used for a/c button..?

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    myns got it
    106.3 Kw Atw
    Boostech Performance

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    given the VTi was the upper class model it should have it. My 1990 ED has AC and the 1995 Vti I stripped recently had AC. Its also not just a case of installing a switch and you're good to go. Need the compressor, mounting hardware, AC lines, AC condensor and evaporator, fan and compressor relays, wiring and the switch.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 Civic VTi-R
    Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    given the VTi was the upper class model it should have it. My 1990 ED has AC and the 1995 Vti I stripped recently had AC.
    Well, if they are the same as my model, which was a top-of-the-line 98 VTi-R, A/C was an optional extra. I bought mine new, and had to pay extra for A/C to be installed, which was done by the local dealer.
    Don

well mine hasn't got it... i know on my pevious cars ther is a button for a/c, which releases the refrigerant into the system, not just blowing cold air... i am aware of what needs to be installed i guess... i was just wondering whether they acctually came with a/c..hmmmm

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    yes they came with a/c. Are you sure yours doesn't have ac? could just not be working? Is there a compressor bolted to the block?

The a/c button actually engages the clutch on the compressor which then compresses the refrigerant. No refrigerant is "released" when the a/c button is pressed

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Quote Originally Posted by knn View Post
    well mine hasn't got it... i know on my pevious cars ther is a button for a/c, which releases the refrigerant into the system, not just blowing cold air... i am aware of what needs to be installed i guess... i was just wondering whether they acctually came with a/c..hmmmm
    lol

learn how the a/c system works before you try to sound smart about it.
    to see all of my build, checkout

haha thanks for the lesson, as a nealry qualified mechanical engineer i should know this stuff huh , no i didnt bother going into details (or looking at car's a/c system really..), it was a simple "explanation" i guess, but i'm pretty sure there is no a/c, i'll have a snoop around the engine bay tomorow, ,might post a pic

cheers guys

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Studying mechanical engineering doesn't necessarily mean you'd know about air conditioning. Or anything automotive for that matter. Unless you are majoring in automotive or have automotive engineering experience. The mechanical engineers I work with have really specific knowledge about niche systems, they don't know how 'everything' works

post a pic, that would be the easiest way

Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    Studying mechanical engineering doesn't necessarily mean you'd know about air conditioning. Or anything automotive for that matter. Unless you are majoring in automotive or have automotive engineering experience. The mechanical engineers I work with have really specific knowledge about niche systems, they don't know how 'everything' works

post a pic, that would be the easiest way
    spot on my friend, i did however just switch from automotive degree to mechanical, just about the same degree, but you don't get taught auto a/c stuff unless you pick a subject that deals with that

and no point to a pic, there is deffinitelly no a/c, there is only a single radiator installed, the only other belt there is the power steering one.

now the next question is...would it be so ridiculous to install a/c? anyone done it to an old car? how much..?

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    price depends on whether you are doing it or paying someone to do it. Also where you source the parts from. If you are paying someone it will be ridiculously expensive. AC workshops charge around the $1000 mark to replace a compressor, new receiver dryer and re-gas. So to actually install a complete system may be around $3k at a guess. Call up and ask

whats going on ?

All AUDM 91 + hondas had airconditioning , bar some breeze models AFAIK.

Anyway , all 92-95 vtis have air conditioning standard.