Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    08' Euro CU2

Castrol Edge Sport 5w-30 VS. FEO on 08' Honda Civic VTI

After a ton of researching into all the different types of oils and what not on this forum and others also i finally made my change to trying out synthetic oil on my car.

Ive been using FEO for the entire time up till this service (30,000km) and i thought to myself "Mechanic charges 50 for FEO...." i was pretty sure i could pick up a few litres of edge for less than that, so this is what sparked the change.

Brought my own oil in for the service....yada yada yada, you know the rest, they changed it and yeah.
    (still using OEM filter by the way with this oil)

these are just my own personal thoughts about it:
    - the engine did sound noticeably quieter with the new oil (compared to new FEO)
    - Driving back home from the mechanic the engine felt noticeably smoother/revved easier on 1st and 2nd then when i got it serviced with FEO
    - When giving it a bit also, the engine didn't seem to make as much noise at the FEO (approx 5000,rpm)
    - seemed to get to normal temperatures a TAD quicker then usual (from first start) i determined this by measuring how far i usually need to drive. Generally i go up the hill then down the road till the end (quiet long road) and then i would be at normal operating temp, with the new oil, i reached normal operating temps before i reached the bottom of the downhill.
    - fuel consumption seems to be improved SLIGHTLY (may be me though)...usually i loose about 4 or so bars on my petrol gauge when i get to 100km distance. This time i got to 100km by 2 bars, but the next two DID disappear pretty quickly also (within the next 40km). Oh and usually id use 4 bars and get 100km without enthusiastic driving. But i gave it a little a few times with this new oil and acheived the above results.
    - Sometimes the pedal seems to be a bit more responsive then when i was using FEO, but i only notice this sometimes, not always...

So these are just my opinions on this oil, and i thought, $50 for FEO or Edge, i might as well go the Synthetic one. I could be totally wrong about the above claims, may all be psychological, but just my opinions. Hope everyone enjoys the read, and hopefully it helps some people who are thinking of making the change but havent due to different opinions. I think i might be staying with this oil =)
    Last edited by philip_pc; 29-03-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    ps - FEO is under $30
    Edge 5w30 is about $45 a bottle.

Synthetic is always the way to go
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    08' Euro CU2
    yeah that was the main thing that motivated me to change. i was gonna pay $50 for FEO anyways when i get car serviced, might as well put some better stuff in there

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    im tempted to move to castol edge, but i dont know if i should wait untill my bottle of FEO for 35bucks 5litres runs out or should i switch now.

do you reckon this edge oil will work magic on a old n tired eg d-series engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    well castrol edge 5w-30 actually contains cracked hydrocarbons or something like that so not actually fully composed synthetically. That's what ive been told, can't remember exact details but yeh nice write up i'm actually using 5w-30 edge myself. I prefer it over FEO and I used to get it for $35? $40? when there are sales at supercheap.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    When on sale at supercheap before, they used to go for $29.99. Excellent value. More recently, Edge 5w-30 tends to go for $35 during sales. Still good value as you are paying the same price as FEO but you are getting a vastly superior oil.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    08' Euro CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapdouchebag View Post
    im tempted to move to castol edge, but i dont know if i should wait untill my bottle of FEO for 35bucks 5litres runs out or should i switch now.

do you reckon this edge oil will work magic on a old n tired eg d-series engine?
    there might be, as previously before i got my new car i was driving an EK1...back in the days when they still sold the High performance FEO (red bottle one) i was always using that one. which i believe it is a semi-synthetic blend. then the days came where they no longer make the red bottle one and everything was changed to just premium FEO (today's yellow bottle)........At first i didn't seem to notice much of a change in response when i used the premium one (but i didn't know anything about oils back then), but after a couple months i managed to score a bottle of the red ones again at Mekong over at Canley (must be leftover stock of something), when i changed it again i seriously did feel a difference, pedal was alot more responsive..........so i guess if using a semi-synthetic blend made a noticeable difference, using the Castrol over FEO MIGHT give you somewhat improved response, but just don't expect too much hahaha, otherwise you might be disappointed

You prob could just sell the bottle of FEO you have now )if you want to make the change now), otherwise just wait till after you finish your FEO =)

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Pretty sure the FEO red label & yellow label are the same.
    Both are a premium mineral made by Castrol (or was it Caltex, i can't rem now) for Honda
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    5w-30w is the shiz. when's next sale on? stocking up on castrol goodness is always good.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_pc View Post
    there might be, as previously before i got my new car i was driving an EK1...back in the days when they still sold the High performance FEO (red bottle one) i was always using that one. which i believe it is a semi-synthetic blend. then the days came where they no longer make the red bottle one and everything was changed to just premium FEO (today's yellow bottle)........At first i didn't seem to notice much of a change in response when i used the premium one (but i didn't know anything about oils back then), but after a couple months i managed to score a bottle of the red ones again at Mekong over at Canley (must be leftover stock of something), when i changed it again i seriously did feel a difference, pedal was alot more responsive..........so i guess if using a semi-synthetic blend made a noticeable difference, using the Castrol over FEO MIGHT give you somewhat improved response, but just don't expect too much hahaha, otherwise you might be disappointed

You prob could just sell the bottle of FEO you have now )if you want to make the change now), otherwise just wait till after you finish your FEO =)
    The red and yellow FEO are exactly the same (mineral oil made by Caltex). You were just feeling the effect of an engine with freshly changed oil.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    I use edge. Good oil. I don't know how it runs on other oils though because as soon as I bought my car I changed it straight away. Thinking of trying other oils but this thread is making stick with it lol

I bought it for $45 though. Can't wait for one of the sales you guys are talking about though!

Member Array
    Car:
    08' Euro CU2
    just picked up another 2 bottles this morning 8-)