Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    Quote Originally Posted by rage_against View Post
    technically if you dont have the same brand make of tyres that your car came with its defectable. or so the rta hotline told us. anything that is on the car that was not standard fitment is defectable is what they told me.
    I very much doubt that that is the case.

as long as they were the same specs and importantly load rating there would be no grounds for defect

OP, check thread below..

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59568

And scroll down to the CF Bonnet add in.

Hope this helps buddy.

Goodluck !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_will View Post
    I very much doubt that that is the case.

as long as they were the same specs and importantly load rating there would be no grounds for defect

i cant see it being true either.

but i also cant see why a fibre glass bonnet wrapped in cf is a defect. i know they say proper cf bonnets shatter but a fb wrapped in cf bonnet is proper cf is it?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, R6
    I love my CF bonnet.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DA9
    they are RED LABEL. they will **** u so hard.

i hang out with alotta show car owners.. defects.. is what we know.. we do ..
    Carbon Fibre bonnet, is red label unless u cary around ur stock bonnet lol.

people think having your car less than 5cm off the ground is lyk no way.. to bad.. honestly cops are easy going on that. but when it comes to ..
    Flame throwers.. Nitrous purging, Backfires, Carbon fibre bonnets

they are PRICKS lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    A bonnet is a structural part of a car. When a car is crash tested it meets Australian standards in regards to crumple zones, impact damages etc.

The reason Carbon fibre bonnets are illegal ... is not because they are carbon fibre, or fibreglass for that matter. Simple because you have replaced a structural part of your car with something unproven / untested. Now the car will react differently in a crash scenario.

It is possible to own a 100% street legal carbon fibre, fibreglass bonnet with vents etc.. but it MUST be one that has been built to ADR specifications (Australian Design Rules). These usually weight a little extra (no where near the OEM metal bonnets), cost more and come with a adr certification certificate (never assume anything is adr certified without a ADR certificate). The far better option - looks great, safe & 100% legal (not ghetto CF getting around on most fan boys cars these days).

Another option is simple get a run of the mill, non adr approved bonnet and paint it the colour of your car. This might reduce some police attention however it wont help you if your in a crash.

The last option, get a factory metal bonnet and attach a FG/CF skin on top of the metal frame work. This is usually expensive - includes the cost of two bonnets you have to destroy not too mention the labour to construct the new bonnet. Also 9/10 most cops wont give you the benefit of the doubt that its a safe a legal option. Would possible cost the same amount as an ADR approved bonnet so why bother with this option.

You could consider going the CF wrap. Seems to be quite popular these days. Cheap, and nice finish. No reduction in weight though.
    Last edited by Sexc86; 30-03-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    A bonnet is a structural part of a car. When a car is crash tested it meets Australian standards in regards to crumple zones, impact damages etc.

The reason Carbon fibre bonnets are illegal ... is not because they are carbon fibre, or fibreglass for that matter. Simple because you have replaced a structural part of your car with something unproven / untested. Now the car will react differently in a crash scenario.

It is possible to own a 100% street legal carbon fibre, fibreglass bonnet with vents etc.. but it MUST be one that has been built to ADR specifications (Australian Design Rules). These usually weight a little extra (no where near the OEM metal bonnets), cost more and come with a adr certification certificate (never assume anything is adr certified without a ADR certificate). The far better option - looks great, safe & 100% legal (not ghetto CF getting around on most fan boys cars these days).

Another option is simple get a run of the mill, non adr approved bonnet and paint it the colour of your car. This might reduce some police attention however it wont help you if your in a crash.

The last option, get a factory metal bonnet and attach a FG/CF skin on top of the metal frame work. This is usually expensive - includes the cost of two bonnets you have to destroy not too mention the labour to construct the new bonnet. Also 9/10 most cops wont give you the benefit of the doubt that its a safe a legal option. Would possible cost the same amount as an ADR approved bonnet so why bother with this option.

You could consider going the CF wrap. Seems to be quite popular these days. Cheap, and nice finish. No reduction in weight though.

any idea where to get adr approved bonnets?

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegzieboi_BAR View Post
    ^^^ Im just saying i wouldnt fork out $900+ on a top notch CF bonnet if i constantly gotta worry bout gettin defected n damaged around the track (then theres fade/damage from sun, scratches etc)

I would only get a CF bonnet for track use, in which case id get a cheaper vented, FG lined one. Cant imagine it would be any heavier than an expensive full CF.

You would have to fork out way more than $900 for full CF

I've seen a full carbon fibre DC2R bonnet SELL for $2300 like 2 years ago.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Just put that vinyl on it and clear coat over it if your doing it for looks.
    Honda Accord Euro

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    Quote Originally Posted by rage_against View Post
    any idea where to get adr approved bonnets?
    x2... i'd like to know if they actually exist
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Yes these do exist... and there is a manufacture in brisbane that make them. I have forgotten their name, however i know DMD make ADR approved fibreglass bonnets so they should be able to point most people in the correct direction. Or you could simply ask some workshops in the automotive industry to point you in the right direction or look through automotive magasine advertising (hot/fast 4's etc)
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2
    The 3m vinyl cant be clear coated. I had the same dilemma with my bonnet and just bought a huge roll of carbon fibre fabric and epoxy resin and did my own over lay. Passes defects as it is still the standard bonnet =)