Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cams for b16a

I used mine with stock type r spring, just don't rev past your rev limiter and you should be fine

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by VTec1987 View Post
    I used mine with stock type r spring, just don't rev past your rev limiter and you should be fine

Did u do any internal work? or just cams? what mods does it have and what powa gains did u get if u dont mind me asking?

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    ED's/EF
    I vote OEM CTR cams.

Was in a similar position to you recently.

I'd suggest deciding on your goal and working backwards on how to achieve it.

Personally decided against upgrading my cams and instead spent my money on a 4.9fd and LSD. Makes a very positive difference and utilizes what little torque the motor has. Much better bang for buck and the car is much more fun to drive.

If you want more power I'd ditch the b16a and replace it with b18c or build a b20

IMO it's money down the drain if speed/power is what you want from a N/A 1.6lt

Either boost it or leave its internals stock.

That's my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by jimsta View Post
    Hi guys,

Realli looking for some advise on cams that i can use with stock motor (for now). I currently have SRI and 2 inch system. I also have a PFC and type r valve springs, valves, and retainers but are not installed.

Im wanting to use the type r valve springs so i realli want to get same nice cams that are a bit more aggressive. Im looking for aftermarket cams (skunk2, toda, or any other nice cams) and what stage can i go for the cams?

I planning to track it every now and then but it is used as a daily.

Any advise would be great.

Cheers

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsta View Post
    Hi guys,

Realli looking for some advise on cams that i can use with stock motor (for now). I currently have SRI and 2 inch system. I also have a PFC and type r valve springs, valves, and retainers but are not installed.

Im wanting to use the type r valve springs so i realli want to get same nice cams that are a bit more aggressive. Im looking for aftermarket cams (skunk2, toda, or any other nice cams) and what stage can i go for the cams?

I planning to track it every now and then but it is used as a daily.

Any advise would be great.

Cheers
    I recommend:
    - Install all that Type R internal gear
    - Port job
    - Skunk2 Pro Stage 2 cams
    - CAI
    - 2.25" exhaust
    - ECU and tune

SRI IMO isn't really that useful other than for sound so I'd prefer to have a CAI so that I get that extra bit of power. For the money you pay to convert from SRI to CAI I reckon it's a great deal for the gains you see.

Type R internals should go in, simply because you have them and they're good stuff. I think you may as well do a port job too in order to complement the head work.

Skunk2 parts are generally a great deal for their quality and cost. Stage 2 should be fine if you swap over those internals and if you want to go on the track it would pay off very well to go ECU and tune.

And if you build the head up a bit 2" is probably a bit small. I use a 2" on my B16A but if you're doing a good head build then 2.25" would help you see the best of the potential results.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    I recommend:
    - Install all that Type R internal gear
    - Port job
    - Skunk2 Pro Stage 2 cams
    - CAI
    - 2.25" exhaust
    - ECU and tune

SRI IMO isn't really that useful other than for sound so I'd prefer to have a CAI so that I get that extra bit of power. For the money you pay to convert from SRI to CAI I reckon it's a great deal for the gains you see.

Type R internals should go in, simply because you have them and they're good stuff. I think you may as well do a port job too in order to complement the head work.

Skunk2 parts are generally a great deal for their quality and cost. Stage 2 should be fine if you swap over those internals and if you want to go on the track it would pay off very well to go ECU and tune.

And if you build the head up a bit 2" is probably a bit small. I use a 2" on my B16A but if you're doing a good head build then 2.25" would help you see the best of the potential results.
    Yeah thats what i had pretty much decided for my car, i've already got the type r head and upgraded ecu on so i was thinking of putting stage 2 skunk2 cams (anyone got a ruff idea how much power gain woud be in the stage 2 Skunk2 cams?), the aftermarket plenium i just purchased, the adjustable cams gears i am curruntly using as paper weights, new exhaust, port and ploish job and a good air box set up.

the main reason i am staying 1600cc is for racing class (1300cc- 1600cc not 1600cc-200cc, only really comes into it at a state level), but that really depends how serious you are going to take your racing. in my opinion there is no 1600cc engine that will get close to a honda 1600cc. unless ofcourse they have spent a s#@t load of cash

As DD2 said a lower final drive and good LSD are a great improvement, put not the best if the car is a daily driver, will get very annoying on the highway and around tight corners
    Last edited by intacivic16v; 11-04-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Do it, take photos and keep us updated

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    yeah i've been meaning to do a build thread after the crx got written off a year and a bit ago.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EVO
    cheers for all ur advise.

i personally want to keep the b16a and do it up slowly to its potential as i realli like to rev the motor out. as for cams, im still not sure what to get.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    man i really recomend a type r head or type r cams cus you have the other stuff. when i put it on my car and swapped back to the low ratio crx cable gear box and re tuned the thing it was a totally different car.

vtec was set slightly higher the increase in power when vtec kicked in all the way to limiter was unreal. Have a look at some of my grafton video's on youtube and you will be able to see the difference yourself.

and the way i look at it, you could then do what i'm thinking of doing (skunk2 stage 2 cams) later on when you want more power, and don't forget intake manifolds etc whenyou get the chance.

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    You like to rev?
    Get vtec killer system.
    Uprated valve springs. You can run 13:1 compression ratio and 11K rpm pretty safely. Less rotational mass.
    Though that might set you back 5K or so just on parts for the head.

Sounds like a rotor on idle. Beast.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Brian Crower Cams, they make very good camshafts for honda's. i run them in mine.
    now how i see it is. stage 1 - won't be a noticible difference?
    stage 2 - noticable but considering you will have to change the valve springs and retainers you might as well go stage 3 for the extra few bucks.
    stage 3 - lumpy as!

so its a hard decision.
    i ended up going stage 3 forced inducted brain crower cams and now the car idles horrible. feels like it will stall. its good though i like it
    Parting 1997 Integra GSi Turbo.
    Everything for sale: Visit my thread
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-for-sale-more