Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cams for b16a

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EVO

Cams for b16a

Hi guys,

Realli looking for some advise on cams that i can use with stock motor (for now). I currently have SRI and 2 inch system. I also have a PFC and type r valve springs, valves, and retainers but are not installed.

Im wanting to use the type r valve springs so i realli want to get same nice cams that are a bit more aggressive. Im looking for aftermarket cams (skunk2, toda, or any other nice cams) and what stage can i go for the cams?

I planning to track it every now and then but it is used as a daily.

Any advise would be great.

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    go for stage 1, stage 2 will be much more expensive as you will have to tune it.

but its probs a good thing to get a tune after you intall

good luck

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    I've got a full b16b type r head on my b16a and i was thinking of up grading to bigger cams on it. But i wasn't to sure how aggressive i could go with mine either. My set up is b16a block b16b head and type r higher compression pistons running on a microtec computer, it made 156hp atw's to give you an idea. power is awsome from about 6000rpm all the way to rev limiter at 8250rpm

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    i'm also not sue how b16b cams would compare to stage 1 or stage 2 cams, which i would love to know if anyone can fill me in

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Stage 1 is slightly more aggresive than the stock CTR/ITR(99+) cams

I believe that on stage 3 and up it is recommended that you upgrade your drive train beyond the ITR ones.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 CRX
    Slightly old but always good value (should give you an idea of what you can put in with your current valve train)

http://hondaswap.com/reference-mater...m-guide-12660/

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EVO
    Thanks for the info 2ds

cams is always a hard thing to decide. I noticed on the info page that skunk2 stage 1 cams it recommends cam gears. Is it needed?

has anyone else got skunk2 stage 1 cams in there b16a with ITR valve springs? and is it running fine? also another cam that im interested in is the Toda spec A cam.

Cheers
    Last edited by jimsta; 01-04-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    Great info 2ds, thank you

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    With cam gears, they allow for abit more movement in the power band.
    Even on stock cams there is a slight gain to be had with cam gears.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EVO
    Quote Originally Posted by VTec1987 View Post
    bc3 would be nice

would Buddy Club stage 3 cams work with type r valve springs? or do i need to change them??

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    With cam gears, they allow for abit more movement in the power band.
    Even on stock cams there is a slight gain to be had with cam gears.
    To extrapolate what limbo said I think the rational for this is that you've already purchased a set of cams and are probably building an n/a engine so you may as well get the cam gears and get that extra hp gain as you'll be living with it for ever. Either that or you'll get new cams later on and can re-use them.

I've been contemplating cam upgrades myself for a long time.

Stage 1 cams seem nice and easy because you can usually just put them in and keep your valve train or use a type-r one but if you're doing that you may as well put in the cam gears and get an ecu and tune it and then you've spent a fair bit for not much power and if you want more power your only option is to toss the cams and buy a new valve train.

Stage 2 cams seem to usually require the whole deal, new valvetrain, cam gears, new ecu and re-tune but they also have much more decent gains. While you have the head off may as well have it ported and polished, etc.

Stage 3 cams will require all of the above + higher compression pistons and while you're at it may as well balance the crank and get stronger rods, etc and now you've spent 10 large and have half as much power as if you boosted it.

This is just the impression I've gotten over the years, I'm sure some of the builders can correct me, but I was thinking about stage 2 cams because I could always do the bottom end later on and get gains out of it if i wanted.

Either way you don't want stage 3 cams (I'm not sure if buddy club spec 3 are stage 1 or not)